RemedySpot.com

Re: Yogurt Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

At 09:27 PM 2/7/2008, you wrote:

Is it okay to poke the

thermometer into the yogurt to get a temperateure read as it is in the

process of fermenting? And if the temp. goes to 120 for a short period of

time, does that mean i ruined the batch?

I have never yet taken the temperature of the yogurt itself, although

some people insist it is necessary.

My chief worry is that if you keep opening the yogurt while it is

fermenting, you risk getting other bacteria in the mixture and

contaminating it.

I asked my design engineer husband about water baths and the contents

there of (which is what a yogurt maker like the Yogourmet is), and he

said that unless the yogurt culture is, itself, creating heat, by

definition, the contents of the inner container cannot go higher than the

temperature of the water bath. If the yogurt culture created heat for

itself, we wouldn't need the strict control on our temperature

range.

So, if the temperature of the water around the yogurt is in the proper

range, it's just fine. My personal feeling is that if you must check the

temperature, check the water temperature, and leave the yogurt container

sealed.

I also asked Harry about making yogurt in the dehydrator, since it was

not a water bath, and he said that if the temperature in the dehydrator

is in the proper range, the same thing applies.

120F is a little high, but if you brought the temperature down quickly,

say, by adding a few chips of ice to the water, it should be OK. If you

are concerned, start another batch, and give this one to another family

member.

Marilyn

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

wow, thanks for all the valuable info. Very helpful!"Wizop Marilyn L. Alm" wrote: At 09:27 PM 2/7/2008, you wrote: Is it okay to poke the thermometer into the yogurt to get a temperateure read as it is in the process of fermenting? And if the temp. goes to 120 for a short period of time, does that mean i ruined the batch? I have never yet taken the temperature of the yogurt itself, although some people insist it is necessary. My chief worry

is that if you keep opening the yogurt while it is fermenting, you risk getting other bacteria in the mixture and contaminating it. I asked my design engineer husband about water baths and the contents there of (which is what a yogurt maker like the Yogourmet is), and he said that unless the yogurt culture is, itself, creating heat, by definition, the contents of the inner container cannot go higher than the temperature of the water bath. If the yogurt culture created heat for itself, we wouldn't need the strict control on our temperature range. So, if the temperature of the water around the yogurt is in the proper range, it's just fine. My personal feeling is that if you must check the temperature, check the water temperature, and leave the yogurt container sealed. I also asked Harry about making yogurt in the dehydrator, since it was not a water bath, and he said that if the temperature in the dehydrator is in the proper range, the same thing

applies. 120F is a little high, but if you brought the temperature down quickly, say, by adding a few chips of ice to the water, it should be OK. If you are concerned, start another batch, and give this one to another family member. — Marilyn New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001 Darn Good SCD Cook No Human Children Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Unlike Dannon, Fage does not have acidophilus in it, which mightaccount for the difference in taste.MaraI used a Total Fage yogurt and Oak Farms milk (local and all natural from the ingredients). The Fage has a lot less liquid than the Dannon's I used before. Usually I use yogourmet powder. It is kind of tart but not like usual. I brought it up to temperature, let it cool, added the starter, etc. Did the entire 24 hours. Should I be worried about it not being so tart like usual? I didn't even have to drip it. Thanks,Debbie 38 crohn'sscd restart 1/07