RemedySpot.com

Re: Coconut Flour

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thanks. I've been wanting to try coconut flour for a while now but just haven't yet.

Have a good day,

Kim

Re: IBS> > Kim, what is the texture of the honeyville grain almond flour like? > The almond flour I've found in the stores is not only expensive, but > rather coarse. > > I found an almond flour online made by King Arthur flour, and the > texture was fantastic--very fine. This made a huge difference in > the end result. But the cost is ridiculous: $9

for 8 ounces. > > An interesting tip for anyone who's interested: I've been > experimenting with coconut flour to get a more flour-like texture to > baked goods. Initially, I tried substituting about 1/4 cup of > coconut flour (for almond flour) in the blueberry muffin recipe in > Prasad's book, but it soaked up all of the liquid, and they turned > out like small boulders. > > But last night I tried Lucy's peanut butter cookie recipe and > substituted just four tablespoons of coconut flour and subtracted > the same amount of almond flour. I also pressed each cookie twice > (cross-wise) with a fork to get an even baking surface. They turned > out fantastic, with a real nice consistency. > > You can find the coconut flour by googling Bob's Redmill Flour. > It's about $10 a pound, but goes a long way. It seems to me you > could

substitute a few tablespoons in any of the bread or pastry > recipes and get a great result because it doesn't have a strong > coconut flavor and helps to bind the almond flour. > > All to say that this is going a long way toward keeping me on this > diet! > > Jake> Crohn's Disease> SCD March 2008> > > > .> > > > <!--> > #ygrp-mkp{> border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font- family:Arial; margin:14px 0px;padding: 0px 14px;}> #ygrp-mkp hr{> border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}> #ygrp-mkp #hd{> color:#628c2a; font-size: 85%;font- weight:bold; line-height:122%; margin:10px 0px;}> #ygrp-mkp #ads{> margin-bottom: 10px;}> #ygrp-mkp .ad{> padding:0 0;}> #ygrp-mkp .ad a{> color:#0000ff; text-decoration: none;}> -->> > <!--> >

#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{> font-family: Arial;}> #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{> margin:10px 0px;font-weight: bold;font- size:78%; line-height: 122%;}> #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{> margin-bottom: 10px;padding: 0 0;}> -->> > <!--> > #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}> #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit; font:100% ;}> #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}> #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;}> #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height: 1.22em;}> #ygrp-text{> font-family: Georgia;> }> #ygrp-text p{> margin:0 0 1em 0;}> #ygrp-tpmsgs{> font-family: Arial;> clear:both;}> #ygrp-vitnav{> padding-top: 10px;font- family:Verdana; font-size: 77%;margin: 0;}> #ygrp-vitnav a{> padding:0

1px;}> #ygrp-actbar{> clear:both;margin: 25px 0;white-space: nowrap;color: #666;text-align:right; }> #ygrp-actbar .left{> float:left;white- space:nowrap; }> .bld{font-weight: bold;}> #ygrp-grft{> font-family: Verdana;font- size:77%; padding:15px 0;}> #ygrp-ft{> font-family: verdana;font- size:77%; border-top: 1px solid #666;> padding:5px 0;> }> #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{> padding-bottom: 10px;}> > #ygrp-reco {> margin-bottom: 20px;padding: 0px;}> #ygrp-reco #reco-head {> font-weight: bold;color: #ff7900;}> > #reco-grpname{> font-weight: bold;margin- top:10px; }> #reco-category{> font-size:77% ;}> #reco-desc{> font-size:77% ;}> > #ygrp-vital{> background-color: #e0ecee;margin- bottom:20px; padding:2px 0 8px 8px;}> #ygrp-vital #vithd{> font-size:77%

;font-family: Verdana;font- weight:bold; color:#333; text-transform:uppercase ;}> #ygrp-vital ul{> padding:0;margin: 2px 0;}> #ygrp-vital ul li{> list-style-type: none;clear: both;border: 1px solid #e0ecee;> }> #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{> font-weight: bold;color: #ff7900;float: right;width: 2em;text-align:right; padding-right: .5em;}> #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{> font-weight: bold;}> #ygrp-vital a{> text-decoration: none;}> > #ygrp-vital a:hover{> text-decoration: underline; }> > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{> color:#999;font- size:77%; }> #ygrp-sponsor #ov{> padding:6px 13px;background- color:#e0ecee; margin-bottom: 20px;}> #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{> padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0; }> #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{> list-style-type: square;padding: 6px 0;font-size: 77%;}> #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{>

text-decoration: none;font- size:130% ;}> #ygrp-sponsor #nc{> background-color: #eee;margin- bottom:20px; padding:0 8px;}> #ygrp-sponsor .ad{> padding:8px 0;}> #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{> font-family: Arial;font- weight:bold; color:#628c2a; font-size:100%;line- height:122% ;}> #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{> text-decoration: none;}> #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{> text-decoration: underline; }> #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{> margin:0;}> o{font-size: 0;}> .MsoNormal{> margin:0 0 0 0;}> #ygrp-text tt{> font-size:120% ;}> blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;}> .replbq{margin: 4;}> -->>

Guest guest

I can't answer your question....I haven't tried it yet but I did want to point out that coconut is an advanced food. It is very fibrous and should only be tried after you've been on the diet for a while and are doing well.

Best wishes,

Kim H.

husband, , CD 1999

SCD 2002

Re: Coconut Flour

does the coconut flour make everything taste like coconut? ilikecoconut oil itself sometimes, but rarely use it because it makeseverything taste like coconut. so every dish ends up tasting like thesame thing and i don't like that. does the flour do the same thing?(lends everything a hint of coconut)

Guest guest

I've only used the coconut in sweet baked goods (muffins and peanut

butter cookies), but the key is to use only a little--like three to

four tablespoons substituted for the same amount of almond flour. It

does not have a very strong coconut taste so works very well. I

really don't notice the taste at all when using a small amount, and it

helps greatly to bind the ingredients and give a more flour-like

consistency. I'm going to try a bread recipe this weekend and will

let you know how that turns out.

There were a couple of other comments about the coconut flour that

should be addressed. First, the coconut flour by Bob's Redmill is

only coconut--so no sweeteners or other additives. Second, while

coconut might be considered an " advanced " food because it is high in

fiber, the distinction between beginning and advanced really seems to

depend on what your symptoms are. The beginning diet in BTVC is

clearly geared toward people who are experiencing a lot of D. I know

this is a common symptom of people with Crohn's and UC, but if you are

not experiencing D (which was never one of my symptoms with advanced

Crohn's), it seems that you can get more quickly to the advanced

foods. At least this has been my experience so far, and I am

progressing rather well.

Still, because the coconut flour is highly fibrous, I would advise

going easy toward the beginning of the diet since fibrous foods can

cause other symptoms (like gas) that can cause havoc in an unbalanced

digestive system.

>

> does the coconut flour make everything taste like coconut? i

> likecoconut oil itself sometimes, but rarely use it because it makes

> everything taste like coconut. so every dish ends up tasting like the

> same thing and i don't like that. does the flour do the same thing?

> (lends everything a hint of coconut)

>