RemedySpot.com

Re: Oxygen level questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Ok, we know the simple parts. We know under 90 or so is too low so we

need more oxygen-some say 88, some 90, some 92.

We also know that if our sats are already high...lets say 97 or 98

that we shouldn't use more. There is danger of toxidity.

But, the questions I don't have the answers for....asked my

pulmonologist but didn't really feel clear on his answer. Never got

the feeling he was paying attention to the question. So, I'm going to

ask new pulmonologist Tuesday.

Let's say we are at 93% on 3 liters but would be at 96% on 4 liters.

Should we use 3 or 4?

Or what about 91% on 4 liters, 94% on 5 liters, 97% on 6 liters.

Which flow is right then?

Bruce Moreland 58 IPF 08/07 Dallas/Plano

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I'm on O2 full time. Between 1 and 4 litres depending on

> > exersion. I

> > > > now know the problems and complications of having too little

> O2

> > keep a

> > > > close eye on my sats.

> > > >

> > > > But what happens if I'm on too high a dose of O2?

> > > >

> > > > I'm only asking out of noseyness, it's not something I'm

> > contemplating

> > > > doing without medical advice, honest!

> > > >

> > > > Love Ze xx

> > > >

> > > > (p.s I'm off to cook our dinner now, so I might not reply too

> soon)

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Bruce, Wow, most excellent question. Let us know what he says. I've often wondered the very same thing! Leanne

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

There is a danger in in hypersaturation, but I think everyone here is not in any danger of getting that high. What I have not been able to get a handle on, and for the benefit of all us newbies, what are the actual dangers of low saturation? I know it is not good to be low, but not even my doctor will tell me what the dangers are except I will get dummer.  I know 91-94 is considered unhealthy and anything below 90 is is considered dangerous. I cannot tell when drop except when it hits 87 or less. What am I up against from a health stand point?Ok, we know the simple parts. We know under 90 or so is too low so we need more oxygen-some say 88, some 90, some 92. We also know that if our sats are already high...lets say 97 or 98 that we shouldn't use more. There is danger of toxidity.But, the questions I don't have the answers for....asked my pulmonologist but didn't really feel clear on his answer. Never got the feeling he was paying attention to the question. So, I'm going to ask new pulmonologist Tuesday. Let's say we are at 93% on 3 liters but would be at 96% on 4 liters. Should we use 3 or 4? Or what about 91% on 4 liters, 94% on 5 liters, 97% on 6 liters. Which flow is right then?Bruce Moreland 58 IPF 08/07 Dallas/Plano> > > >> > > >> > > > I'm on O2 full time. Between 1 and 4 litres depending on> > exersion. I> > > > now know the problems and complications of having too little> O2> > keep a> > > > close eye on my sats.> > > >> > > > But what happens if I'm on too high a dose of O2?> > > >> > > > I'm only asking out of noseyness, it's not something I'm> > contemplating> > > > doing without medical advice, honest!> > > >> > > > Love Ze xx> > > >> > > > (p.s I'm off to cook our dinner now, so I might not reply too> soon)> > > >> > >> >>

Hi Jeff, I have had this talk with my Dr. and she says do not let your saturation go below 90 for more than 3 or 4 min. that is how quickly cells begin to die. Your brain, heart and all the other little cute things in that fabulous body are in danger. I don't function well when I drop to 91 or 92. My first sign that I need 02 is legs feel very heavy and calves burn and then the headache.If you don't have an oximeter get one now. Check it often. Everyone in this group will agree with that I believe. It is so important. Let us know how you are doing.God Bless. Love and Prayers, Peggy  ipf 6/04 Florida"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." There is a danger in in hypersaturation, but I think everyone here is not in any danger of getting that high. What I have not been able to get a handle on, and for the benefit of all us newbies, what are the actual dangers of low saturation? I know it is not good to be low, but not even my doctor will tell me what the dangers are except I will get dummer.  I know 91-94 is considered unhealthy and anything below 90 is is considered dangerous. I cannot tell when drop except when it hits 87 or less. What am I up against from a health stand point?Ok, we know the simple parts. We know under 90 or so is too low so we need more oxygen-some say 88, some 90, some 92. We also know that if our sats are already high...lets say 97 or 98 that we shouldn't use more. There is danger of toxidity.But, the questions I don't have the answers for....asked my pulmonologist but didn't really feel clear on his answer. Never got the feeling he was paying attention to the question. So, I'm going to ask new pulmonologist Tuesday. Let's say we are at 93% on 3 liters but would be at 96% on 4 liters. Should we use 3 or 4? Or what about 91% on 4 liters, 94% on 5 liters, 97% on 6 liters. Which flow is right then?Bruce Moreland 58 IPF 08/07 Dallas/Plano> > > >> > > >> > > > I'm on O2 full time. Between 1 and 4 litres depending on> > exersion. I> > > > now know the problems and complications of having too little> O2> > keep a> > > > close eye on my sats.> > > >> > > > But what happens if I'm on too high a dose of O2?> > > >> > > > I'm only asking out of noseyness, it's not something I'm> > contemplating> > > > doing without medical advice, honest!> > > >> > > > Love Ze xx> > > >> > > > (p.s I'm off to cook our dinner now, so I might not reply too> soon)> > > >> > >> >>

peggy,My sat rate at rest is 91-92 and so it is very easy to go down from there. My doctor does not seem to be too alarmed as it has been that way for the past 3 years. When I go down below 90 it seems to be when ever I do anything. I do bounce back to my resting sats within 2-3 minutes, always have. What I did not know was my sats drop too low when ever I walk. I got a Nonin 8500 pulse oxymiter as a gift from a dear friend and have been using it and finding, much to my dismay, that I desaturate a lot.  I meet with my doc at the end of Feb. and we will be going over all these facts and coming up with a plan.Hi Jeff, I have had this talk with my Dr. and she says do not let your saturation go below 90 for more than 3 or 4 min. that is how quickly cells begin to die. Your brain, heart and all the other little cute things in that fabulous body are in danger. I don't function well when I drop to 91 or 92. My first sign that I need 02 is legs feel very heavy and calves burn and then the headache.If you don't have an oximeter get one now. Check it often. Everyone in this group will agree with that I believe. It is so important. Let us know how you are doing.God Bless.Love and Prayers, Peggy  ipf 6/04 Florida"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up."There is a danger in in hypersaturation, but I think everyone here is not in any danger of getting that high. What I have not been able to get a handle on, and for the benefit of all us newbies, what are the actual dangers of low saturation? I know it is not good to be low, but not even my doctor will tell me what the dangers are except I will get dummer.  I know 91-94 is considered unhealthy and anything below 90 is is considered dangerous. I cannot tell when drop except when it hits 87 or less. What am I up against from a health stand point?Ok, we know the simple parts. We know under 90 or so is too low so we need more oxygen-some say 88, some 90, some 92. We also know that if our sats are already high...lets say 97 or 98 that we shouldn't use more. There is danger of toxidity.But, the questions I don't have the answers for....asked my pulmonologist but didn't really feel clear on his answer. Never got the feeling he was paying attention to the question. So, I'm going to ask new pulmonologist Tuesday. Let's say we are at 93% on 3 liters but would be at 96% on 4 liters. Should we use 3 or 4? Or what about 91% on 4 liters, 94% on 5 liters, 97% on 6 liters. Which flow is right then?Bruce Moreland 58 IPF 08/07 Dallas/Plano> > > >> > > >> > > > I'm on O2 full time. Between 1 and 4 litres depending on> > exersion. I> > > > now know the problems and complications of having too little> O2> > keep a> > > > close eye on my sats.> > > >> > > > But what happens if I'm on too high a dose of O2?> > > >> > > > I'm only asking out of noseyness, it's not something I'm> > contemplating> > > > doing without medical advice, honest!> > > >> > > > Love Ze xx> > > >> > > > (p.s I'm off to cook our dinner now, so I might not reply too> soon)> > > >> > >> >>

The danger of being too low is damage to all the other organs of your

body...Heart, Kidneys, Liver, Colon, you name it.....everything needs

oxygen.

Other than that just the dangers of passing out or stumbling or

falling that go with shortness of breath. But the serious dangers are

what it does elsewhere.

My determination is to use oxygen so that nothing else goes before

the lungs. And, if you're possibly thinking transplant, then the

health of the other organs is more crucial to even being eligible.

I am still not that good at guessing my sats...sometimes guess high

and sometimes low. That's why I use my oximeter a lot.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'm on O2 full time. Between 1 and 4 litres depending on

> > > > exersion. I

> > > > > > now know the problems and complications of having too

little

> > > O2

> > > > keep a

> > > > > > close eye on my sats.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But what happens if I'm on too high a dose of O2?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I'm only asking out of noseyness, it's not something I'm

> > > > contemplating

> > > > > > doing without medical advice, honest!

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Love Ze xx

> > > > > >

> > > > > > (p.s I'm off to cook our dinner now, so I might not reply

too

> > > soon)

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

Well, no telling how long mine went far below but that was before

diagnosis. Now, I could sit on the sofa all the time and be ok for a

while (although quickly they'd get weaker there through lack of

activity) or I can use oxygen and monitor and get out and do things

and travel and exercise on the treadmill and do it all without my

sats ever going too low.

I can sit on the sofa at 94 or so on good days without oxygen, lower

on bad days and have to use oxygen. But, if I go to the kitchen for

water i will be in the 80's on the trip. And, if I decide to clean

out the dishwasher, put the dirty dishes in, move a load of laundry

from the washer to the dryer, talk low low 80's. But with the right

amount of oxygen for all those, I'll be within safe ranges.

Oh and here is one. If I'm sitting on the sofa and you call me and we

start talking and I laugh a bit and then cough once or twice, you'll

never realize it, but I'll check my sats and may very well, slip the

cannula back in. When in respiratory rehab, I found if I used the

treadmill with a person beside me and we talked I needed one more

liter to maintain the same sats.

Amazing the simple things that impact it and often i have no idea

what they are. But I've seen myself sitting up and then recline and

seen it drop. I know the amount of congestion I have from allergies

impacts it. When out and on a pulse regulator I have to make sure I

keep breathing enough. There is a sizable difference between what you

get at 20 breaths a minute and 16. Eating and how much you ate

impacts it. Now I don't suggest changing constantly, but one does

have to learn what does impact them. Oh, sometimes it seems so silly

to get up off the sofa and change. But that short trip turns into the

rest room and then the kitchen for more water and maybe I detour

along the way and do something briefly, then I bend and pick up

something off the floor and put it in my closet, and instead of it

being a two minute trip its Gilligan's Island. So, rule for me, if

I'm on my feet I'm on my oxygen. And, some days, particularly right

after the pneumonia episode, I need it 24/7. Oh, and for all those

pulmonologists who say don't get oximeters, when I called to report

the chest pains, the first question was where and the second was " are

your sats lower than normal. " Oh, this from the doctor who never

suggested an oximeter but does know I have one. So, i could quickly

say, they are averaging about 3 percentage points below normal for

the same activity which basically for me meant needing two liters at

rest and 4 when moving around to maintain normal with oxygen.

> >> > > > >

> >> > > > >

> >> > > > > I'm on O2 full time. Between 1 and 4 litres depending on

> >> > > exersion. I

> >> > > > > now know the problems and complications of having too

little

> >> > O2

> >> > > keep a

> >> > > > > close eye on my sats.

> >> > > > >

> >> > > > > But what happens if I'm on too high a dose of O2?

> >> > > > >

> >> > > > > I'm only asking out of noseyness, it's not something I'm

> >> > > contemplating

> >> > > > > doing without medical advice, honest!

> >> > > > >

> >> > > > > Love Ze xx

> >> > > > >

> >> > > > > (p.s I'm off to cook our dinner now, so I might not

reply too

> >> > soon)

> >> > > > >

> >> > > >

> >> > >

> >> >

> >>

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

When I have a coughing fit, my stats go as low as 71 and have even gone to 68 when I was in the hospital. You should have seen those nurses scramble! I told them to just give me some time and I'd be back up soon. One nurse stated that nurses should be trained to watch the patient not the stat machine as its usually behing the recovery. I've also heard that our bodies get used to lower stats and can comensate for the lower rate. Any ideas on this? KS UPF06-07

Re: Oxygen level questions

Ok, we know the simple parts. We know under 90 or so is too low so we need more oxygen-some say 88, some 90, some 92. We also know that if our sats are already high...lets say 97 or 98 that we shouldn't use more. There is danger of toxidity.But, the questions I don't have the answers for....asked my pulmonologist but didn't really feel clear on his answer. Never got the feeling he was paying attention to the question. So, I'm going to ask new pulmonologist Tuesday. Let's say we are at 93% on 3 liters but would be at 96% on 4 liters. Should we use 3 or 4? Or what about 91% on 4 liters, 94% on 5 liters, 97% on 6 liters. Which flow is right then?Bruce Moreland 58 IPF 08/07 Dallas/Plano> > > >> > > >> > > > I'm on O2 full time. Between 1 and 4 litres depending on> > exersion. I> > > > now know the problems and complications of having too little> O2> > keep a> > > > close eye on my sats.> > > >> > > > But what happens if I'm on too high a dose of O2?> > > >> > > > I'm only asking out of noseyness, it's not something I'm> > contemplating> > > > doing without medical advice, honest!> > > >> > > > Love Ze xx> > > >> > > > (p.s I'm off to cook our dinner now, so I might not reply too>

soon)> > > >> > >> >>

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

I have heard that too , over time our bodies just adjust to not

being with full oxygen and adjust to it, thats why sme people dont

experience shortness of breath because their body has compensated for

it.

Sandie

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm on O2 full time. Between 1 and 4 litres depending on

> > > exersion. I

> > > > > now know the problems and complications of having too little

> > O2

> > > keep a

> > > > > close eye on my sats.

> > > > >

> > > > > But what happens if I'm on too high a dose of O2?

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm only asking out of noseyness, it's not something I'm

> > > contemplating

> > > > > doing without medical advice, honest!

> > > > >

> > > > > Love Ze xx

> > > > >

> > > > > (p.s I'm off to cook our dinner now, so I might not reply

too

> > soon)

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Looking for last minute shopping deals?

> Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

>

, I'd been existing on loo low sats for a while, I don't really get out of breath at quite low levels. My doc described me as 'going blue around the edges' My nails were purple and I had a purple bloom on my cheeks. (other parts went purple too, but I'll let you guess where they were ) Now I can drop to the 60's very easily and without really realising it, your body copes, but damage is still occurring. I now have to retrain my body to run on O2 again.

Love Ze xx> > > > >> > > > >> > > > > I'm on O2 full time. Between 1 and 4 litres depending on> > > exersion. I> > > > > now know the problems and complications of having too little> > O2> > > keep a> > > > > close eye on my sats.> > > > >> > > > > But what happens if I'm on too high a dose of O2?> > > > >> > > > > I'm only asking out of noseyness, it's not something I'm> > > contemplating> > > > > doing without medical advice, honest!> > > > >> > > > > Love Ze xx> > > > >> > > > > (p.s I'm off to cook our dinner now, so I might not reply too> > soon)> > > > >> > > >> > >> >> > > > > > ____________________________________________________________________________________> Looking for last minute shopping deals? > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping>