RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: eating fats

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Jodi

I also have problems with supplements and medications; many trigger my Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction and also a variety of other symptoms coming from my upper GI.

Have you noticed an increase in the RUQ pain after you've eaten something spicy? Or high in fiber? Do you get migraines often? Then you might have Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction (SOD) like I do. Fat, fiber and spices all trigger SOD flares; and women who suffer frequent migraines compose 95% of SOD patients. It's somewhat difficult to find a gastroenterologist who knows about this, and/or is willing to order the tests (there are only two available).

An ERCP is the usual method for checking out the bile ducts, and the upper end of the duodenum. But there are risks associated with an ERCP, like pancreatitis, so you want to make sure you have a good gastroenterologist at the controls. My doctor discovered the bile duct blockage (that hadn't shown up on any of the scans) only during the ERCP, because it wasn't a stone or sludge. My common bile duct just wasn't emptying and a "pool" (my doctor's words) had formed. I ended up getting a sphincterotomy too. Now I am prone to bile duct problems, since I have Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction.

The other tests I'd had that looked at my upper GI were: ultrasounds, Xrays, CT scans, Hida scan (twice), Hida with CCK (once), GES (Gastric emptying study; twice), and of course the usual EGD (or endoscopy). Finally, after I saw three gastroenterologists, I found my current one who ordered an MRCP and a Debray scan (a variant of a Hida scan), which identified the SOD.

Food choices plays a large role in my RUQ pain and nausea levels. I eat low-fat, low-fiber and bland SCD. Supplements and medications also cause a variety of problems, so I have to be careful. I've also been diagnosed as being very deficient in B12, so give myself shots regularly. I have felt a big improvement in my energy levels (and coordination and balance) since I began giving myself regular B12 shots.

I'd keep a food and supplement journal for a while, and look for a pattern in the RUQ pain and the foods or supplements you had just before the pain kicks in.

But, even knowing what my disorders are, and being very careful with my foods, I still suffer symptoms after every meal. It's just the way my digestion works now. I work hard to keep the symptoms as minimal as possible, and most days do OK. Thanks to SCD. But it also took me 2 years on SCD before I reached stability with my upper GI and immune symptoms. These days I can put more of my energy into coping with my neurological disintegration than my cranky digestive system. Again, thanks to SCD.

Kim M.

SCD 4+ years

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

hi kim..i also experience this after i take most supplements and medications(which i mostly don't take anything at all due to this) i had a galbladder and liver ultrasound which showed nothing and i waswondering what test do you think i should do? a CT would that be of use?i am allergic to ct contrast so the results are usually iffy. pleaselet me know if you have any ideas.i find it hard giving up fats completely as i feel tired and yet ifeel i dont know the exact right amount to eat and i always feelguilty as if i am going over-board and causing myself this kind ofdiscomfort. i must say since being on scd this RUQ is so much better and it isn'ta -constant- bother. but it get triggered and sometimes i dont evenknow why.jodi