RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Broward County Star Program

Rate this topic

Guest guest

have you looked at the program? What part of it don't you like?

Do you know what was in place before Broward implemented it? Would you like to know?

Lizzie

To: sList Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 10:59:50 AMSubject: RE: Re: Broward County Star Program

Hello ,

Broward School District (FL) uses a version of the Original Stars Program. I say “version” because to receive the accolades of the program you have to use the program and not a scaled down version. They do not use the ABA/DT aspect. Its similar to a heart surgeon removing a patient’s heart and expecting the patient to make a full recovery. In other words, changes invalidates the scientific research of the original. It’s a program that tries to fit all autistic children into a shoe that fits all even though you are dealing with a spectrum of children who are as different a finger prints.

Where do I find H. Con.Res.91?

From: sList@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:sList @yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of E. , Sr.Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:47 PMTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comSubject: Re: Broward County Star Program

I am not involved in that county and don't even knwo which state youare referring to.. but I thought I would ask - is this a program thatis based on the Original STARS programs ? Basically icons and pecs ?ABA D/T does get that brownie button of being Scientifically provendue to H.Con.Res.91 in which Congress deemed it to be the ONLY provenscientific program. With my own son.. we did a 'Lovaas' program for2 years..as I was still with my ex and lived in California at thattime. So even though I was facing 'denial' from mom (He's just slow),I still ran a program based on the ME Book. Once his responses seemedto become 'robotic' or 'pre programed' I decided placement in publicschool spec ed with services galore was the way to go as he still hada 1:1 aide and ABA is even now at age 15 used to introduce newthings...once he is comfortable other systems are used in his (whatother word can I use...hmmm,

someone got mad once when I stated this)program. Visual cues are good for him when it comes to planning as heis on top of it. E. , Sr. The Office of Advocacy for Autistic Children>> It lacks any one-on-one ABA, for one thing and therefore is not> scientifically based because the original program included ABA. Itrelies to> much on visual prompts and ignores the need for verbal instructionwhich is> used in typical classrooms. These children are autistic, not deaf.> Instruction needs to be more individualized. > > > > From: sList@ yahoogroups. com[mailto:sList@ yahoogroups. com] On> Behalf Of ostinho2> Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:14 AM> To: sList@ yahoogroups. com> Subject: Re: Broward County Star Program>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. comVersion: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.16/1843 - Release Date: 12/11/2008 8:36 AM

My son is in kidergarden and is using the star program.. He is already on Level 2. There are 3 levels. They teachers and staff at his school are always happy to let me see the star program and I found it online as well. The wesbite is http://www.coe.fau.edu/tlc/content/programs-star.htm Hope this helps.

Wihlborg

mother to Tyler

To: sList Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 1:04:30 AMSubject: Re: Re: Broward County Star Program

Do you know what was in place before Broward implemented it? Would you like to know?

Lizzie

From: Heifferon <gary00001msn (DOT) com>To: sList@ yahoogroups. comSent: Friday, December 12, 2008 10:59:50 AMSubject: RE: Re: Broward County Star Program

Hello ,

Broward School District (FL) uses a version of the Original Stars Program. I say “version” because to receive the accolades of the program you have to use the program and not a scaled down version. They do not use the ABA/DT aspect. Its similar to a heart surgeon removing a patient’s heart and expecting the patient to make a full recovery. In other words, changes invalidates the scientific research of the original. It’s a program that tries to fit all autistic children into a shoe that fits all even though you are dealing with a spectrum of children who are as different a finger prints.

From: sList@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:sList @yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of E. , Sr.Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:47 PMTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comSubject: Re: Broward County Star Program

I am not involved in that county and don't even knwo which state youare referring to.. but I thought I would ask - is this a program thatis based on the Original STARS programs ? Basically icons and pecs ?ABA D/T does get that brownie button of being Scientifically provendue to H.Con.Res.91 in which Congress deemed it to be the ONLY provenscientific program. With my own son.. we did a 'Lovaas' program for2 years..as I was still with my ex and lived in California at thattime.. So even though I was facing 'denial' from mom (He's just slow),I still ran a program based on the ME Book. Once his responses seemedto become 'robotic' or 'pre programed' I decided placement in publicschool spec ed with services galore was the way to go as he still hada 1:1 aide and ABA is even now at age 15 used to introduce newthings...once he is comfortable other systems are used in his (whatother word can I use...hmmm,

someone got mad once when I stated this)program. Visual cues are good for him when it comes to planning as heis on top of it. E. , Sr. The Office of Advocacy for Autistic Children>> It lacks any one-on-one ABA, for one thing and therefore is not> scientifically based because the original program included ABA. Itrelies to> much on visual prompts and ignores the need for verbal instructionwhich is> used in typical classrooms. These children are autistic, not deaf.> Instruction needs to be more individualized. > > > > From: sList@ yahoogroups. com[mailto:sList@ yahoogroups. com] On> Behalf Of ostinho2> Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:14 AM> To: sList@ yahoogroups. com> Subject: Re: Broward County Star Program>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. comVersion: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.16/1843 - Release Date: 12/11/2008 8:36 AM

, *I need to look up which Congress (the number) passed that congressional Res. as they reuse the H.Con #'s ..This was the Res. that gave the apology to parents and schools for lack of funding and other things..and gave the 400 mil that funded the MIND Institutes *I agree completely that changes in the methodology does invalidate the Scientific Research. However after doing the first part of an IEP by teleconference with a parent in FL. I think anything is better then the CPI restraint option - they don't seem to quite understand that children with ASD's LIKE pressure. So some will actually show maladaptive behaviors especially elopement to then be restrained. I think Dr. Temple Grandin gave us all a good idea that 'pressure' relieved the need to 'stem' as

much. I know and understand what you are saying but in todays time we are seeing such a diverse use of different programs depending on where your are in the country (or sometimes county !). Many eclectic programs exist that use part of this and part of that. I think the ABA D/T part of STARS should be kept intact - Is this district in FL using ABA at all. I also agree with your statement that our children may carry the same diagnosis but are as different as a fingerprint.. I like that statement.Lizzie,I am curious to know what they are using there, as in the case I'm working on in FL. they are basically just using restraint after Maladaptive behaviors show up.. and no real program at all. I do agree with you especially after reviewing this case that ANY program that has at least some 'cudo's' is better then nothing. What were they doing ? The same CPI restraint program I'm dealing with in this

case I'm working on... I find it atrocious that some of the Administrations not just in FL. but all over will use extreme intimidation against parents. Targeting single mothers is even worse..this case was a 4.5 hour 'half' IEP... then they rudely hung up on me (there was a local somewhat silent advocate and I was via teleconference and I'm not at all silent !). In this case after the local advocate left and after they hung up on me they changed the date of the completion of the IEP to Monday..and I just did this friday !!!! It was scheduled to be completed on the 23rd of Jan so the Behavorist that just did the FBA could make some changes and the school psychologist could meet with the child several more times and complete her report. As well the Man*cough*, or the Principal I should say because I'm not sure if he is a MAN, made a teleconference appt. with me on this coming Wed. . Then after the meeting was over he

coerced the mother into signing a statement waiving her right to 10 days notice (I don't believe a principal can change fed law with a statement), and to hold the meeting on Mon.. in about 40 hours from now - overriding the Behavorists and the Dist. Psychologists requests to change things in Assesments and to have more time to be with the child. This kind of activity must stop. The mother is 'sick' so she won't be there Monday..but I WILL..by teleconference. So, their attempt to block out Advocacy failed this time. What about the next mother that doesn't realize she's being set up ? Is this 'normal' in your state Lizzie ? I must say that it was one of the most unprofessional things I have ever seen an Administrator do in regards to IEP's - I've seen them do much worse 'in action' all over the nation. E. , Sr.Please go and comment to vote & Let others know ASAP to do the samehttp://www.change.org/ideas/view/accept_and_sign_the_autism_reform_act_of_2009 E. , Sr. Founder The Office of Advocacy for Autistic ChildrenThis electronic mail message and any attached files contain information intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, (18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521.) To: sList Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 8:04:30 PMSubject: Re: Re: Broward County Star Program

Lizzie

From: Heifferon <gary00001msn (DOT) com>To: sList@ yahoogroups. comSent: Friday, December 12, 2008 10:59:50 AMSubject: RE: Re: Broward County Star Program

Hello ,

I am not involved in that county and don't even knwo which state youare referring to.. but I thought I would ask - is this a program thatis based on the Original STARS programs ? Basically icons and pecs ?ABA D/T does get that brownie button of being Scientifically provendue to H.Con.Res.91 in which Congress deemed it to be the ONLY provenscientific program. With my own son.. we did a 'Lovaas' program for2 years..as I was still with my ex and lived in California at thattime. So even though I was facing 'denial' from mom (He's just slow),I still ran a program based on the ME Book. Once his responses seemedto become 'robotic' or 'pre programed' I decided placement in publicschool spec ed with services galore was the way to go as he still hada 1:1 aide and ABA is even now at age 15 used to introduce newthings...once he is comfortable other systems are used in his (whatother word can I use...hmmm,

Liz, I’m sorry I wasn’t able to answer your reply

earlier, put it appears others have done it for me. Here are some more

observations of mine:

1. It

seems to me that there is a real riff between the Educator and Behaviorist. The

Educator has a Masters or Doctorate Degree in Education and if you are not from

this mold, you can’t educate. It’s like the view doctors have of

chiropractors. So, I am not surprised to see what Educators think of Applied

Behavioral Analysis (ABA). A lot of Research states that this method of

teaching has a definite and positive bearing on the progress of an Autistic

child. Schools and school districts treat ABA as voodoo as if it

can’t possibly help a child as much as the Education Plan. The Education

Plan can only work with autistic children if the Plan includes strategies to

remove the obstacles. The Broward School District’s STARS Program

doesn’t tend to these obstacles because it drops an essential part, ABA.

Also more emphasis needs to be placed on academic goals since these children

are neither mentally retarded nor Intellectually deficit as they have been

classified in the past. I don’t buy into the cost factor.

Parents of autistic children play taxes just like anyone else. The waste in taxpayers

money is not using the proper ABA personnel but in not using them.

2. If

the schools are doing their job, why do so many parents choose to go outside

for additional help?

sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf

Of Lizzie Berg

Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 5:16 PM

To: sList

Subject: Re: Re: Broward County Star Program

Nothing. Nothing was in place before. That's why this is

good. It's good because at least it is a start. Get it?

Liz.

To: sList

Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 9:35:02 AM

Subject: RE: Re: Broward County Star Program

What was in place before?

sList@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:sList @yahoogroups. com] On

Behalf Of Lizzie Berg

Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:21 AM

To: sList@ yahoogroups. com

what

do you mean when you say " yes " . Yes to what? These are my questions:

Have

you looked at the program? What part of it don't you like?

Do

you know what was in place before Broward implemented it? Would you like to

know?

Lizzie

Heifferon <gary00001msn (DOT) com>

Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 2:28:47 PM

Subject: RE: Re: Broward County Star Program

yes

sList@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:sList @yahoogroups. com] On

Behalf Of Lizzie Berg

Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 1:05 AM

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com

Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.17/1847 - Release Date: 12/13/2008

4:56 PM

No virus

found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com

Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.9.18/1848 - Release Date: 12/14/2008

12:28 PM