F. Kennedy's book, Profiles in Courage.

For those younger than I, he wrote in while Senator and it was about

eight senators who her recognized for acts of bravery. I'm sorry and

they may earn our admiration for each taking very unpopular political

stances. However, those who read about them learn nothing really

about courage on a comparative scale.

Now, a real study of Profiles in Courage would be all the incredible

people here. I looked the word courage up and I even differ with many

of the definitions, which say facing danger or pain without fear.

Rather I chose this definition:

"The state or quality of mind or spirit that enables one to face

danger, fear, or vicissitudes with self-possession, confidence, and

resolution."

Now thats the courage here. A community of people who in spite of all

the reasons to surrender to monster diseases and to give up on

living, have found the strength and fortitude to continue to live to

every possible degree they can.

I also don't know how many of you saw or remember the movie "'s

Song". It was a beautiful love story (and not of the sexual kind,

just of the caring friendship kind) between two men from different

backgrounds, with different personalities to found a common bond.

Piccolo was a player who struggled to make the Chicago Bears

football team. Gayle Sayers was one of the all time greats. When

Gayle Sayers hurt his knee, it was Piccolo, who despite having

cancer drove him to rehab and regain the ability to play and make a

comeback. Piccolo was quite a talker too. Gayle Sayers

stuttered and never spoke publicly.

Well, Gayle Sayers received the Halas award for Courage for

his comeback. To the shock of everyone who knew him he stood before

everyone and made this acceptance speech.

"I'd like to say a few words about a guy I know, a friend of mine.

His name is Piccolo, and he has the heart of a giant and that

rare form of courage which allows him to kid himself and his

opponent -- cancer.

He has a mental attitude which makes me proud to have a friend who

spells out "courage," 24 hours a day, every day of his life.

Now you flatter me by giving me this award. But I say to you here and

now, Piccolo is the man of courage who should receive the

S. Halas award.

It's mine tonight and Piccolo's tomorrow.

I love Piccolo.

And I'd like all of you to love him too.

And tonight, you hit your knees:

Please ask God to love him."

I've seen more courage by my friends here than I knew possible and

far more than all the so called courage I'd seen prior to my months

here. This community is full of Profiles in Courage.

Meet the new AOL.ca. Free radio, music, videos, news & entertainment – with a Canadian perspective.

Bruce... yes, there are many...no, all of us on this particular board, learn about courage first-hand.

Mama-Sher, 69; IPF, 3-06, OR.Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Profiles in Courage

The word courage comes to my mind so often here. The courage really of everyone here. I think of it when I think of so many of you, in fact I was going to mention a couple but would want to include everyone and not know where to stop. But what made it really jump so vividly into my thoughts today was Irene. Then in my mind that wanders in all directions I thought of F. Kennedy's book, Profiles in Courage. For those younger than I, he wrote in while Senator and it was about eight senators who her recognized for acts of bravery. I'm sorry and they may earn our admiration for each taking very unpopular political stances. However, those who read about them learn nothing really about courage on a comparative scale.Now, a real study of Profiles in Courage would be all the incredible people here. I looked the word courage up and I even differ with many of the definitions, which say facing danger or pain without fear. Rather I chose this definition:"The state or quality of mind or spirit that enables one to face danger, fear, or vicissitudes with self-possession, confidence, and resolution."Now thats the courage here. A community of people who in spite of all the reasons to surrender to monster diseases and to give up on living, have found the strength and fortitude to continue to live to every possible degree they can. I also don't know how many of you saw or remember the movie "'s Song". It was a beautiful love story (and not of the sexual kind, just of the caring friendship kind) between two men from different backgrounds, with different personalities to found a common bond. Piccolo was a player who struggled to make the Chicago Bears football team. Gayle Sayers was one of the all time greats. When Gayle Sayers hurt his knee, it was Piccolo, who despite having cancer drove him to rehab and regain the ability to play and make a comeback. Piccolo was quite a talker too. Gayle Sayers stuttered and never spoke publicly. Well, Gayle Sayers received the Halas award for Courage for his comeback. To the shock of everyone who knew him he stood before everyone and made this acceptance speech. "I'd like to say a few words about a guy I know, a friend of mine. His name is Piccolo, and he has the heart of a giant and that rare form of courage which allows him to kid himself and his opponent -- cancer.He has a mental attitude which makes me proud to have a friend who spells out "courage," 24 hours a day, every day of his life.Now you flatter me by giving me this award. But I say to you here and now, Piccolo is the man of courage who should receive the S. Halas award.It's mine tonight and Piccolo's tomorrow.I love Piccolo.And I'd like all of you to love him too.And tonight, you hit your knees:Please ask God to love him."I've seen more courage by my friends here than I knew possible and far more than all the so called courage I'd seen prior to my months here. This community is full of Profiles in Courage.

Bruce... oh yeah!

Mama-Sher, 69; IPF, 3-06, OR.Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Profiles in Courage> > > The word courage comes to my mind so often here. The courage really > of everyone here. I think of it when I think of so many of you, in > fact I was going to mention a couple but would want to include > everyone and not know where to stop. > > But what made it really jump so vividly into my thoughts today was > Irene. Then in my mind that wanders in all directions I thought of > F. Kennedy's book, Profiles in Courage. > > For those younger than I, he wrote in while Senator and it was about > eight senators who her recognized for acts of bravery. I'm sorry and > they may earn our admiration for each taking very unpopular political > stances. However, those who read about them learn nothing really > about courage on a comparative scale.> > Now, a real study of Profiles in Courage would be all the incredible > people here. I looked the word courage up and I even differ with many > of the definitions, which say facing danger or pain without fear. > Rather I chose this definition:> > "The state or quality of mind or spirit that enables one to face > danger, fear, or vicissitudes with self-possession, confidence, and > resolution."> > Now thats the courage here. A community of people who in spite of all > the reasons to surrender to monster diseases and to give up on > living, have found the strength and fortitude to continue to live to > every possible degree they can. > > I also don't know how many of you saw or remember the movie "'s > Song". It was a beautiful love story (and not of the sexual kind, > just of the caring friendship kind) between two men from different > backgrounds, with different personalities to found a common bond. > Piccolo was a player who struggled to make the Chicago Bears > football team. Gayle Sayers was one of the all time greats. When > Gayle Sayers hurt his knee, it was Piccolo, who despite having > cancer drove him to rehab and regain the ability to play and make a > comeback. Piccolo was quite a talker too. Gayle Sayers > stuttered and never spoke publicly. > > Well, Gayle Sayers received the Halas award for Courage for > his comeback. To the shock of everyone who knew him he stood before > everyone and made this acceptance speech. > > "I'd like to say a few words about a guy I know, a friend of mine. > His name is Piccolo, and he has the heart of a giant and that > rare form of courage which allows him to kid himself and his > opponent -- cancer.> > He has a mental attitude which makes me proud to have a friend who > spells out "courage," 24 hours a day, every day of his life.> > Now you flatter me by giving me this award. But I say to you here and > now, Piccolo is the man of courage who should receive the > S. Halas award.> > It's mine tonight and Piccolo's tomorrow.> > I love Piccolo.> > And I'd like all of you to love him too.> > And tonight, you hit your knees:> > Please ask God to love him."> > I've seen more courage by my friends here than I knew possible and > far more than all the so called courage I'd seen prior to my months > here. This community is full of Profiles in Courage.>