RemedySpot.com

Re: Antibiotic therapy and autism

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Clostridia is a very common bacteria many of our kids have in their digestive systems. Reports indicate it can lead to pain, inflammation and other GI problems. It is also linked with our kids' ocd type behaviors and rigidity.

Our DAN has prescribed oral Vancomycin for my son several times due to this. It can be tested (an OAT test from Great Plains Lab). If you check out the TACA website, there is a lot of information regarding antibiotics and what you are speaking of. Stan Kurtz has an entire program outlined.

It is important to note that the challenge is to kill the bacteria but the antibiotics also often kill our bodies' good bacteria, then we can possibly have yeast overgrowth issues. There are specific antibiotics that are anerobic (I think I am using term correctly) and less likely to kill good bacteria. Vancomycin is one of them. I think Flagyl (which my son is on now) is antoher.

If you don't plan to test, use a broad spectrum pro-biotic along with the antibiotic so you don't lose the good effects by bringing on something else, particularly since she already has GI issues.

Your daughter may cycle through this. Supposedly, simple carbs and sugars bring back the bacteria and also tend to feed yeast. I hear many of our kids cycle.

That is cool that others noticed changes. Any changes with rigidity? Just curious.

Good for your daughter!

Antibiotic therapy and autism

Hi all,my daughter has had GI problems all her life. She is now six. tLast week she came down with strep throat. She was put on an antibiotic. Then the last few days my daughter has had normal BMs. I can not believe it! This is the first time this has ever happened.(For three days in a row) Not only that but she is using the toilet independently. (She has had a normal BM now and then, but never for three days in a row. At those times she used the bathroom by herself, so I knew she could do it. I have explained this to every GI doctor , and they all agreed that Skyler is aware of when to use the bathroom. (She is totally urine trained now) Not only this, but her teachers can not believe the difference in her speech in only one week, plus they say "What did you do? Sky seems so happy!" (Yeah..if my stomach ache was finally gone after six years I would be happy too LOL...Maybe this is just a fluke thing. I will see, but if my theory is correct and the meds start to taper off she will probably revert back to the old GI problems. Have any of you heard of this antibiotic theraapy? For the hell of it I looked it up online, I could not believe there was actually case studies on this. I called her GI doctor and he told me that I need to bring her in ..as usual! I am very curious to see if my theory is right,and this really was helping her.Have any of you heard of this???Kriss

Have you run a OAT test to see what and/or if she has bacterial and/or yeast issues?

There are different type of antibiotics to target these gutbugs.

My son had very high Clostridia and after we got rid of that with an antibiotic hes been a different child. Speech exploded, more social, less tantrums and MUCH more cooperative and attentive at school.

Sofia

Subject: Antibiotic therapy and autismTo: sList Date: Monday, September 29, 2008, 6:26 PM

Hi all,my daughter has had GI problems all her life. She is now six. tLast week she came down with strep throat. She was put on an antibiotic. Then the last few days my daughter has had normal BMs. I can not believe it! This is the first time this has ever happened.(For three days in a row) Not only that but she is using the toilet independently. (She has had a normal BM now and then, but never for three days in a row. At those times she used the bathroom by herself, so I knew she could do it. I have explained this to every GI doctor , and they all agreed that Skyler is aware of when to use the bathroom. (She is totally urine trained now) Not only this, but her teachers can not believe the difference in her speech in only one week, plus they say "What did you do? Sky seems so happy!" (Yeah..if my stomach ache was finally gone after six years I would be happy too LOL...Maybe this is just a

fluke thing. I will see, but if my theory is correct and the meds start to taper off she will probably revert back to the old GI problems. Have any of you heard of this antibiotic theraapy? For the hell of it I looked it up online, I could not believe there was actually case studies on this. I called her GI doctor and he told me that I need to bring her in ..as usual! I am very curious to see if my theory is right,and this really was helping her.Have any of you heard of this???Kriss

it is possible that the antibiotic coincidentally inhibited a bacteria that was in her stomach.

Was she ever tested for H. pylori?

You can also have strep in the digestive tract, but I am not sure it would last so long without complications.

Well, happy day-even if it was accidental!

From: sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf Of eSent: Monday, September 29, 2008 6:27 PMTo: sList Subject: Antibiotic therapy and autism

Hi all,my daughter has had GI problems all her life. She is now six. tLast week she came down with strep throat. She was put on an antibiotic. Then the last few days my daughter has had normal BMs. I can not believe it! This is the first time this has ever happened.(For three days in a row) Not only that but she is using the toilet independently. (She has had a normal BM now and then, but never for three days in a row. At those times she used the bathroom by herself, so I knew she could do it. I have explained this to every GI doctor , and they all agreed that Skyler is aware of when to use the bathroom. (She is totally urine trained now) Not only this, but her teachers can not believe the difference in her speech in only one week, plus they say "What did you do? Sky seems so happy!" (Yeah..if my stomach ache was finally gone after six years I would be happy too LOL...Maybe this is just a fluke thing. I will see, but if my theory is correct and the meds start to taper off she will probably revert back to the old GI problems. Have any of you heard of this antibiotic theraapy? For the hell of it I looked it up online, I could not believe there was actually case studies on this. I called her GI doctor and he told me that I need to bring her in ..as usual! I am very curious to see if my theory is right,and this really was helping her.Have any of you heard of this???Kriss ______________________________________________________________________This email has been scanned by the Broward Health Email Security System.______________________________________________________________________

- ----------------------------------------------

Broward Health

yes, I have heard countless of similar stories. It is important that you have her on a probiotic while she is on an antibiotic because this will probably not last as you suspect.

Have you ever tested her yeast levels? Sounds like she is a candidate for gut issues....

Subject: Antibiotic therapy and autismTo: sList Date: Monday, September 29, 2008, 6:26 PM

Hi all,my daughter has had GI problems all her life. She is now six. tLast week she came down with strep throat. She was put on an antibiotic. Then the last few days my daughter has had normal BMs. I can not believe it! This is the first time this has ever happened.(For three days in a row) Not only that but she is using the toilet independently. (She has had a normal BM now and then, but never for three days in a row. At those times she used the bathroom by herself, so I knew she could do it. I have explained this to every GI doctor , and they all agreed that Skyler is aware of when to use the bathroom. (She is totally urine trained now) Not only this, but her teachers can not believe the difference in her speech in only one week, plus they say "What did you do? Sky seems so happy!" (Yeah..if my stomach ache was finally gone after six years I would be happy too LOL...Maybe this is just a

fluke thing. I will see, but if my theory is correct and the meds start to taper off she will probably revert back to the old GI problems. Have any of you heard of this antibiotic theraapy? For the hell of it I looked it up online, I could not believe there was actually case studies on this. I called her GI doctor and he told me that I need to bring her in ..as usual! I am very curious to see if my theory is right,and this really was helping her.Have any of you heard of this???Kriss

HI,

thank you. Her skin is fine. She/we have been suffering from six months of sceeching, and not wating to wear certain clothes..only wants to wear what she wants to wear.... She has also has pica. We are planning on testing for food alergies again . Tested her for the basics like gluten/caisen etc. All neg. However I still only give her soy products, minus the yogurt. but think I wll try a probiotic. (I hope he will agreand give me the correct dose or it)I hope the dcotor will agree to the testing..He seems vey willing to listen to my ocerns and takes the time o anwer my qustions. He seemed very intersted when I told him about laxatie that one dr. rec. I told it it made my daughter wild/hyper! He then said..wow how did you know that drug gets into the blood steam. I said I didn't.but my daghter sure did!

He actually agreed with me. So I pray he will help us out at the next visit.

Kriss

HI,

thank you. Her skin is fine. She/we have been suffering from six months of sceeching, and not wating to wear certain clothes..only wants to wear what she wants to wear.... She has also has pica. We are planning on testing for food alergies again . Tested her for the basics like gluten/caisen etc. All neg. However I still only give her soy products, minus the yogurt. but think I wll try a probiotic. (I hope he will agreand give me the correct dose or it)I hope the dcotor will agree to the testing..He seems vey willing to listen to my ocerns and takes the time o anwer my qustions. He seemed very intersted when I told him about laxatie that one dr. rec. I told it it made my daughter wild/hyper! He then said..wow how did you know that drug gets into the blood steam. I said I didn't.but my daghter sure did!

He actually agreed with me. So I pray he will help us out at the next visit.

Kriss

Thank you,

I will call.

Kriss

Find phone numbers fast with the New AOL Yellow Pages!

Has anyone ever heard of using Capricin to conquer the yeast problems? Just curious as I think I once read something about it's use for this. Thanks.G.

From: e <mylittleskydreams@ yahoo.com>Subject: Antibiotic therapy and autismTo: sList@ yahoogroups. comDate: Monday, September 29, 2008, 6:26 PM