RemedySpot.com

school issues

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:31:06 -0700 (PDT)To: denisesSubject: school issues

Can I put my situation out there?

Is this what I am to expect from the schools or did I just get up on the wrong side of the bed today. I am new to getting help from the school system. No IEP. My son has Aspergers. Starting middle school 6Th grade. ( I know what took so long? That's another discussion) I have been working with the Guidance Counselor and Teachers. I have had 2 parent/teachers conferences. The 1st to inform them of Asperger, the 2ND because he started missing assignments. The Guidance counselor told me last week she would get the teachers together today for a meeting to decide where they all stand with my son. She called me 1st thing this morning to discuss any concerns I now have about my son. Also to tell me that at this point in time there is no consent form to sign that doesn't happen til later in the process. I was informed by her that it is up to them if any testing is to be done, not me ,not his private evaluation

but just the school. If he is an A student what exactly do I expect them to do? Unless he is below a C they don't see a problem and "all these Kids whether they are Asperger, ADHD, Autistic if they are getting good grades we don't see that there is anything we should do for them."

"If there are behavioral issues and the teachers are dealing with it what's the problem?" Is this the usual ignorant response to Autistic children? If a main area initially is Social and Behavioral problems ( believe me if I stop helping him he will fail) is this what we are to expect from the school ? Where do I go from this point right now? A very hostile conversation a very closed minded discussion. Can they truly NOT help my son? Thank you for any input, Marie