RemedySpot.com

Fwd: New study on biomarkers in autism spectrum disorders

Rate this topic

Guest guest

One site has it all. Your email accounts, your social networks, and the things you love. Try the new AOL.com today!

View this email in your web browser

US Autism & Asperger Association, Inc.

November 19, 2008

Welcome to USAAA Weekly News, an email newsletter that addresses a range of topics on Autism Spectrum Disorders and Asperger's Syndrome.

New study on biomarkers in Autism Spectrum Disorders

Autism spectrum disorder-associated biomarkers for case evaluation and management by clinical geneticists

by A. Geier, BA and Mark R. Geier, MD, PhD, FABMG, FACE

In April of 2008, the American College of Medical Geneticists issued clinical practice guidelines recommending that clinical geneticists identify the etiology of ASD's and treat patients with the diagnosis.

It is clear that, as additional research is performed, the clinical geneticist will need to give careful attention to the task of incorporating new testing and treatment options for ASDs.

This article examines recognized, clinically available biomarker testing for the evaluation and treatment of ASDs. It will attempt to explain the clinical significance of the findings and, where possible, explore potential treatment options.

Click here for entire article.

Minnesota Tracked Down Pig Brain Disease, Ignores Autism?

By Kim Stagliano, Age of Autism

[Mayo Clinic] of the strongest health department's in the country? We've yet to see it in the Somali autism situation.

Do you recall last winter when a handful of people in Minnesota contracted a rare neurological disease that was tracked to their job blowing pigs' brains out of their skulls at a meat processing plant? State officials couldn't act fast enough to solve the problem. So why is it that Somali parents who've watched their children collapse into autism aren't getting the same rapid fire answers? Racism? Or Autism?

Click here for entire article.

Lee Silsby Introduces Enhansa Curcumin Supplement for Autism

Lee Silsby Compounding Pharmacy, the leader in custom compounded medications for autism, announces its newest product, Enhansa, Enhanced Absorption Curcumin Supplement. Curcumin is the principal curcuminoid found in the popular Indian spice turmeric. Enhansa was created by Lee Silsby Compounding Pharmacy. To date, several hundred patients on the spectrum are using Enhansa. Current product order rates indicate a high level of both patient and physician satisfaction.

Enhansa is clinically proven to increase intracellular Glutathione, reduce levels of nearly every elevated inflammatory cytokine found in autistic patients and improve liver detoxification. In addition, Enhansa acts as an anti-viral and anti-fungal agent and is a potent PPAR Gamma Agonist and NF-Kapp B inhibitor. Patient benefits include improved digestion, detoxification and antioxidant support.

Click here for entire article from Age of Autism.

How to help your Special Needs Child Make the Transition to Adulthood

Children with Autism, mental retardation, Downs Syndrome, any other special need, or none at all have one thing in common. Every child will get older and eventually reach adulthood. This can be a rather intimidating thought if you and your child have not prepared for this challenging time. Recently, a distraught mother called me in a panic. “I just talked to my school district, and they told me that my son will no longer receive public school funding after this school year. What am I supposed to do with an autistic man after his services stop?” she asked. I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard this lament.

No matter how old your child is, start today. Even if your child has only one more year of school, and has not started a transition program, you can negotiate with the school district to get a few more years of school because they didn't follow the legal requirements to provide a free and appropriate education which includes a transition program.

Public schools are required by law to provide transitional services starting at age 16 for students with an IEP. These services should include life skills training, such as cooking or making a bed, pre-vocational and vocational skills that should prepare a child to enter the world of work, and general skills and planning capabilities that lead to a life of self-determination. My experience has been that most schools have not even begun to think about this process beyond some sex education and consumer math