RemedySpot.com

Child Find and Sunrise Parkl School Boca Raton

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My son has all his services paid for via the Early Steps program. Once he is three (he is two now) they stop paying for all his services. I was told today that the next program we can get him into is Child Find which is paid for by the Gov. This program is all about getting kids with learning issues from the age three to five and get them ready for mainstream school. My son would go to Sunrise Park Elem in Boca he would get all the therapy he is getting now directly from the school. Has anyone had experience with this program or this school? Michele

Thank you both for the info. So much to think about to do the right thing for your child. MicheleIda Kessler wrote: Hi Michele, I can tell you from my experience and what other parents have told me that no school in S. Florida offers our children "all the therapies and intervention they need." They offer for example, if he/she qualifies and you are

successful advocating, occupational therapy as it relates to his/her EDUCATIONAL needs but not his/her MEDICAL needs which may be different. Sometimes they will tell you that speech therapy is "embedded in the program"s o there is no need to pull him out to do one to one therapy. You, as a parent, may feel differently. I guess it also depends on the degree on your child's disability and how much and what type of intervention he/she needs. I heard that with the last budget cuts, many behavioral therapists in public schools were laid off. If that is the case and your child needs a behavior intervention very badly, you may be in a more difficult situation. Like I said, I only heard about this last piece of information through friends. Other parents with children already in elementary school may have more information to share with you. good luck, Ida From: shirlygilad <shirlygilad>Subject: Re: Child Find and Sunrise Parkl School Boca RatonTo: sList Date: Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 7:22 PM Sunrise park has classes for kids on the spectrum and the classes areorganized according to level of functionality. As with any otherschool much depends on the teacher that he will be with. As otherpeople posted and mentioned the IEP and following on the IEP are alsocrucial. Your son has a year to go and much can happen in a year.Another possibility I mentioned to you is the VE program. This is alsothrough Child Find. The will have a meeting with you to recommendplacement for him and set the goals for the IEP. You have a long timeto prepare for that. CARD offer classes on how to write and structurean IEP. You

might want to see what they offer. A lot will depend onyou as you kid's advocate.Shirly >> My son has all his services paid for via the Early Steps program. Once he is three (he is two now) they stop paying for all hisservices. I was told today that the next program we can get him intois Child Find which is paid for by the Gov. This program is all aboutgetting kids with learning issues from the age three to five and getthem ready for mainstream school. My son would go to Sunrise ParkElem in Boca he would get all the therapy he is getting now directlyfrom the school. > > Has anyone had experience with this program or this school?>

Michele>