RemedySpot.com

Re: The City of Weston taking over their public schools?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It is great to see how you are putting your program together.

With all the love and dedication your team is working with, I am sure

at the end it will all come together nicely.

I know if I was looking for a group home for one of my loved ones,

I would definitely pick yours.

Good Luck,

Dr.Faubel

-- The City of Weston taking over their public schools?> To: sList > Date: Monday, August 11, 2008, 10:56 AM > > > > > > > A fair amount of notice has been given to the City of Weston taking > over their schools from the Broward County Board of Education. Now I > understand this may be just posturing by the City, but the members of > this list might want to consider the ramifications if this occurred for > special education programs. If the way the City handles resources for > public field space is any indication, our kids would probably get the > short end of the stick. > > As has been mentioned previously, the City of Weston delegates the use > of its public fields to an organization called the Weston Sports > Alliance, Inc (WSA). The WSA is made up exclusively of the established > youth sports organizations of the City. Neither the WSA nor its member > organizations are required to create or maintain any recreational > programming for special populations, and currently only two programs > exist; 1) AYSO which groups 50 children of all disabilities in a one > and a half hour session in the middle of Sundays, 2) and a Little > League program that has a similar structure with 13 children. To my > knowledge, no child from any of these programs has graduated to any > form inclusive enviroment to play with their peers, and very little > training or development is attempted. The field time allocated is > Sundays when no other groups want the space. > > Over the last three months, attempts have been made to secure field > space for a baseball program to actually teach our kids the sport, and > have them play in some form with their typical peers so that some point > in the future they can actually play the game. Continually these > efforts have been met with responses from the Mayor of the City, the > President of the WSA, and the Presidents of the AYSO and the Little > League that the current programming is sufficient, and various road > blocks have been put in place to stop putting these kids on the fields, > so more programming can be added for typical kids. > > Now I don't think it is a stretch to imagine the ramifications for > Weston's public schools. A city school system would have limited > resources, as there are limited resources for recreational programs. > Would a city appointed board determine that it was enough to put all > special populations in one setting where they had no ability to > interact with their typical peers? If class space was lacking, > finding "seperate but equal" locations to warehouse these children? > Fighting McKay so they could receive state dollars to maintain subpar > programming? > > If the City of Weston cannot adaquately manage sports fields for our > kids, what business do they have managing their schools? > > > > > > > > > > > > > Caprio-NegretVice President/Director of PRRainbow Guardianwww.rainbowguardian.orgsamantharainbowguardian (DOT) org