RemedySpot.com

Re: Sugar in wine

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Would that mean that wines from Australia, Italy, California (which one am I missing) would be legal, not matter the type of wine? Example: all white wine, red wine, rose wine, chablis, zinafandel would all be legal, as long as it was from the above?Tom wrote: Serge Duguay wrote:> Its actually quite the opposite. In most European countries it is > illegal to add sugar to the grape must. It is legal to do so in Canada > and the U.S.In the U.S. it varies by state. For example, adding sugar is

legal in Oregon, but not legal in California.Tom

I forgot to add, a line.LMS wrote: Would that mean that wines from Australia, Italy, California (which one am I missing) would be legal, not matter the type of wine? Example: all white wine, red wine, rose wine, chablis, zinafandel would all be legal, as long as it was from the above? Regardless of the alcohol content???Tom <tomcviclink> wrote: Serge Duguay wrote:> Its

actually quite the opposite. In most European countries it is > illegal to add sugar to the grape must. It is legal to do so in Canada > and the U.S.In the U.S. it varies by state. For example, adding sugar is legal in Oregon, but not legal in California.Tom

LMS wrote:

>

> Would that mean that wines from Australia, Italy, California (which

> one am I missing) would be legal, not matter the type of wine?

> Example: all white wine, red wine, rose wine, chablis, zinafandel

> would all be legal, as long as it was from the above? Regardless of

> the alcohol content???

Yes.

Portugal is also on the list of countries that don't allow sugar to be added.

In spite of what some people say, the alcohol content has absolutely no

relationship to the amount of residual sugar in a wine. Ignore the alcohol

content and look at the origin of the wine.

There are probably more places that don't allow adding sugar. But the 4

mentioned are enough to give SCD wine drinkers a good choice.

Tom

Anyone know anything about Israeli wines?Given the climate, I would imagine they didn't have to, but...?MaraWould that mean that wines from Australia, Italy, California (which one am I missing) would be legal, not matter the type of wine? Example: all white wine, red wine, rose wine, chablis, zinafandel would all be legal, as long as it was from the above?Tom wrote:Serge Duguay wrote:> Its actually quite the opposite. In most European countries it is > illegal to add sugar to the grape must. It is legal to do so in Canada > and the U.S.In the U.S. it varies by state. For example, adding sugar is legal in Oregon, but not legal in California.Tom

Sweet desert wines might be a different story. Otherwise yes. Also Portugal is safe someone on the list specified. MaraI forgot to add, a line.LMS wrote:Would that mean that wines from Australia, Italy, California (which one am I missing) would be legal, not matter the type of wine? Example: all white wine, red wine, rose wine, chablis, zinafandel would all be legal, as long as it was from the above? Regardless of the alcohol content???Tom <tomcviclink> wrote:Serge Duguay wrote:> Its actually quite the opposite. In most European countries it is > illegal to add sugar to the grape must. It is legal to do so in Canada > and the U.S.In the U.S. it varies by state. For example, adding sugar is legal in Oregon, but not legal in California.Tom

In the U.S. it varies by state. For example, adding sugar is legal in Oregon, but not legal in California.Tom Hi Tom, I thought I had this resolved a long time ago, but know Im confused from what you are saying. Does the fact that it is illegal to add sugar in calif.,mean, that it is illegal to add if they dont put it on the label???? or its illegal to add sugar at all???? The reason I ask is because last year a friend who is a sales man for a wine distributor gave me wine that he considered very dry, hence, safe for me to drink for SCD. I drank the wine and a few day late was ill with old UC symptoms. I called the distributor in Calif. and asked about the sugar content in the wine. They said that there would be sugar in that wine. So it turned out that my friend had been wrong. I thought that the Italian and French wines never had sugar added. As I said before, that is explicitly not true of French wine. France is further north than Italy, and less warm. And it's well known that sugar is added to some wines. As for Italian wines, even though it's illegal to add sugar, I imagine in some years cheating occurs at some vineyards given the breadth of food industry scandals I've read about recently in various European countries, including Italy. MaraI have recently moved and had to find another wine to replace the one I had been buying. My new one is a Chianti, it is Da Vinci ,Tuscana Chianti. It is a product of Italy, imported by Gallo Brothers, I believe. If anyone knows if this is no good for the diet please let me know. All The Best, LouDelicious ideas to please the pickiest eaters. Watch the video on AOL Living. Date: February 29, 2008 4:43:37 PM ESTTo: BTVC-SCD Subject: Re: Sugar in wineReply-To: BTVC-SCD Serge Duguay wrote: > Its actually quite the opposite. In most European countries it is > illegal to add sugar to the grape must. It is legal to do so in Canada > and the U.S. In the U.S. it varies by state. For example, adding sugar is legal in Oregon, but not legal in California. Tom