RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: new house information

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My dearest gas loving friends. Oxygen is an accelerant. With constant use of oxygen, your home is saturated with 02.  if there were to be a hint of a fire it would be really bad . It is not safe to have open flames in the room with you. Please go on line and read up on 02 & fire. It has been a while since I read it so I am going to look it up again.When I had my gas stove I couldn't go into the kitchen. Did I say "I HATE THIS DISEASE."I'll let ya know where I find it. I LOVE YOUR NEW HOME MB. I'm waiting to see yours . Love and Prayers, Peggyipf 6/04Worry looks around.Sorry looks back,Faith looks up.

Peggy,

I found the following article on O2 safety:

Oxygen is Not Flammable

"Unlike other gases and chemicals, oxygen is not flammable. It is classified as an accelerator, meaning that if there is a fire and oxygen is present, the fire will burn. The more oxygen, the larger the fire and the faster it will spread. We are use to seeing fires burn in an atmosphere containing about 21 percent oxygen. This is the atmosphere in which most materials are tested for safety, such as the covering of the chair in the above story. But when oxygen is flowing near such material, the material absorbs the oxygen and becomes more susceptible to burning.

So, I am now more aware that the oxygen I cannot see has a presence, not only in my nostrils but all around me. My clothing and my hair contain more oxygen than that of a person not on oxygen.

Knowing this, I understand more fully the "five foot rule" and stay at least this distance away from sources of sparks and flames. I keep my concentrator and store both liquid and compressed oxygen containers at least five feet from any source of flames or spark.

I do not lean over a lighted gas stove with my cannula on; I no longer blow out the candles on my birthday cake; I no longer do the outdoor grilling; and I let others hold my candle during Christmas church services. In general, I do not put myself in a position where I am too close to an existing fire.

I do not permit a cigarette to be lit near me. I do not permit smoking in the rooms where I normally use oxygen. The hidden danger here is that a hot ash could smolder for a long time before flaming up, as I remember it did in my home when I was very young. I do not work with paint remover or other flammable products."

We all have to be very very careful and stay clear of any open flame. I don't worry about the fireplace because as I said the flames are behind a glass wall. I steer pretty clear of the gas stove and oven and ask for help with cooking things on the stove or oven....help with turning on and off, taking in and out of the oven, stirring etc. It's annoying and frustrating but it's what I have to do. Realistically most of the horror stories you hear are because of mixing smoking with oxygen. Fortunately that's never been an issue for me and even though my Dad smokes he hasn't done so inside the house in nearly 15 years.

I'm cautious but not paranoid. We have gas here in the house. It is what it is and I can't change it. I make sure the smoke alarms are working properly and the carbon monoxide monitor also. I just do my best to co-exist safely with it.

Beth in NC age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

"For as long as I shall live, I will testify to Love."

Re: Re: new house information

My dearest gas loving friends. Oxygen is an accelerant. With constant use of oxygen, your home is saturated with 02. if there were to be a hint of a fire it would be really bad . It is not safe to have open flames in the room with you. Please go on line and read up on 02 & fire. It has been a while since I read it so I am going to look it up again.

When I had my gas stove I couldn't go into the kitchen. Did I say "I HATE THIS DISEASE."

I'll let ya know where I find it.

I LOVE YOUR NEW HOME MB. I'm waiting to see yours .

Love and Prayers, Peggy

ipf 6/04

Worry looks around.

Sorry looks back,

Faith looks up.