RemedySpot.com

I want to increase my exercise, but the sats keep on falling!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Here's the thing.

I really want to increase my excercise levels, but since being aware of falling sats I'm finding it difficult. I manage to get round the corner to an area where I can let the dog off the lead. It's about 100 yards! I have to go very slowly, keeping an eye on my sats, stopping and waiting for my sats to come up as I go. I've been on O2 since November. I don't seem to be able to increase how far I'm going. I was hoping to get my fitness levels up a bit, and was at least hoping to get round the corner without having to stop by now.

Should I be thinking about turning my O2 up to 6L while I'm walking? (Currently I'm on 4L) I'm seeing my chest physician on monday, so I will be putting it to her.

I just can't see how I can even begin to get fit if I can't get beyond a few yards before I have to stop. But I need to lose some weight and get some motivation.

Any ideas or advice will be gratefully received

Thanks

Love Ze xx

Zena,

Definitely talk to your doc about this on Monday. This is a major issue for me. I can manage fine on 3 lpm when I'm quiet and 4-5 when I'm doing things around the house or taking a very leisurely stroll but if I'm going to EXERCISE I need ridiculous amounts of O2 to sustain my sats above 90.

Do you have access to a pulmonary rehab program? If so I highly recommend taking advantage of it. They will help you figure out what you need to be able to exercise safely. For me, it's 10-12 liters per minute using a venti mask. That keeps my sats in the mid-90's.

Ask your doctor about this on Monday. I'm sure she'll tell you to turn the 02 up enough so that your sats aren't yo yoing all over the place just from walking the dog.

Isn't this fun??? NOT!

Beth in NC age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

"For as long as I shall live, I will testify to Love."

Here's the thing.

I really want to increase my excercise levels, but since being aware of falling sats I'm finding it difficult. I manage to get round the corner to an area where I can let the dog off the lead. It's about 100 yards! I have to go very slowly, keeping an eye on my sats, stopping and waiting for my sats to come up as I go. I've been on O2 since November. I don't seem to be able to increase how far I'm going. I was hoping to get my fitness levels up a bit, and was at least hoping to get round the corner without having to stop by now.

Should I be thinking about turning my O2 up to 6L while I'm walking? (Currently I'm on 4L) I'm seeing my chest physician on monday, so I will be putting it to her.

I just can't see how I can even begin to get fit if I can't get beyond a few yards before I have to stop. But I need to lose some weight and get some motivation.

Thanks

Love Ze xx

Oh it's great fun isn't it! It's a good job that I've got a very patient dog! Rob doesn't fully understand why I keep having to stop as I don't get out of breath until my sats are way down. I don't know about a rehab program, I'll be adding it to the list for when I see her. I'll be taking her out again soon. I might put it up to 6L just to see how I do. I'm also going to test my oximeter against my blood gases that I'll have done on monday.

Love Ze xx>> Zena,> Definitely talk to your doc about this on Monday. This is a major issue for me. I can manage fine on 3 lpm when I'm quiet and 4-5 when I'm doing things around the house or taking a very leisurely stroll but if I'm going to EXERCISE I need ridiculous amounts of O2 to sustain my sats above 90. > Do you have access to a pulmonary rehab program? If so I highly recommend taking advantage of it. They will help you figure out what you need to be able to exercise safely. For me, it's 10-12 liters per minute using a venti mask. That keeps my sats in the mid-90's. > Ask your doctor about this on Monday. I'm sure she'll tell you to turn the 02 up enough so that your sats aren't yo yoing all over the place just from walking the dog.> Isn't this fun??? NOT!> > Beth in NC age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06> > "For as long as I shall live, I will testify to Love."> > > > > > I want to increase my exercise, but the sats keep on falling!> > Here's the thing. > I really want to increase my excercise levels, but since being aware of falling sats I'm finding it difficult. I manage to get round the corner to an area where I can let the dog off the lead. It's about 100 yards! I have to go very slowly, keeping an eye on my sats, stopping and waiting for my sats to come up as I go. I've been on O2 since November. I don't seem to be able to increase how far I'm going. I was hoping to get my fitness levels up a bit, and was at least hoping to get round the corner without having to stop by now.> Should I be thinking about turning my O2 up to 6L while I'm walking? (Currently I'm on 4L) I'm seeing my chest physician on monday, so I will be putting it to her. > I just can't see how I can even begin to get fit if I can't get beyond a few yards before I have to stop. But I need to lose some weight and get some motivation.> Any ideas or advice will be gratefully received> Thanks> Love Ze xx>

MB...I just want to vent a little. I wish I could go to rehab. I was headed that direction but we had to make the decision that we just can't afford it. We are seniors on a tight-fixed income and if it's a choice between Rx and rehab I choose the Rx. Our medical bills are so high....just as are yours and everyone else here. It's so frustrating. We've already sold our home, about 2 years ago, moved into an apt. There isn't much more we can cut.

There. Thanks for everyone's ear.

Have a good day and enjoy your fireplace. It's been 22 here the past few days.

Mama-Sher, 69; IPF, 3-06, OR.Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Here's the thing.

Thanks

Love Ze xx

Sher,

I hear ya!! I was fortunate at the time I went to rehab, I was still on my old company's health insurance which paid for it 100%. If I had to do it now, I couldn't. At the moment I have no coverage at all. NC Medicaid has turned me down because my income is too high (now that's funny) and I can't get Medicare till November. At the moment I'm in limbo and it's darned uncomfortable.

We shouldn't have to be in this position but here we are. It stinks!

Stay warm!!

Love

Beth in NC age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

"For as long as I shall live, I will testify to Love."

Here's the thing.

Thanks

Love Ze xx