RemedySpot.com

Re: This is probably one for Dr Bruce too!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Bruce,

I understand that this is true in patients with COPD or any obstructive lung disease. It is different with restrictive disease such as ours. We can turn our 02 up for showering or to recoup our saturation upon excertion. We should not turn our 02 up long term without the doc's approval.

Hugs, Joyce D.PULMONARY FIBROSIS/LUPUS 1997 BRONCHIECTASIS 2004 INDIANA 2 COR. 12:10 ....when I am weak, then I am strong.> >> > > > I'm on O2 full time. Between 1 and 4 litres depending on exersion. I> > now know the problems and complications of having too little O2 keep a> > close eye on my sats.> > > > But what happens if I'm on too high a dose of O2?> > > > I'm only asking out of noseyness, it's not something I'm contemplating> > doing without medical advice, honest!> > > > Love Ze xx> > > > (p.s I'm off to cook our dinner now, so I might not reply too soon)> >>

True, remember our Sweet Ginger had a huge problem with that.. carbon dioxide poisoning. To much can be as dangerousas not enough. Love and Prayers, Peggy  ipf 6/04 Florida"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." Bruce,I understand that this is true in patients with COPD or any obstructive lung disease.  It is different with restrictive disease such as ours.  We can turn our 02 up for showering or to recoup our saturation upon excertion.  We should not turn our 02 up long term without the doc's approval. Hugs, Joyce D.PULMONARY FIBROSIS/LUPUS 1997    BRONCHIECTASIS 2004   INDIANA 2 COR. 12:10   ....when I am weak, then I am strong.> >> > > > I'm on O2 full time. Between 1 and 4 litres depending on exersion. I> > now know the problems and complications of having too little O2 keep a> > close eye on my sats.> > > > But what happens if I'm on too high a dose of O2?> > > > I'm only asking out of noseyness, it's not something I'm contemplating> > doing without medical advice, honest!> > > > Love Ze xx> > > > (p.s I'm off to cook our dinner now, so I might not reply too soon)> >>

Thats what I was trying to say. Too much is toxic. But, briefly

turning it up for a short shower may well be called for and isn't

likely to be a problem. Some day I'm going to actually get in the

shower and hold my arm up with my pulse ox to see what happens. That

may be the only place I haven't checked my sats.

> > >

> > >

> > > I'm on O2 full time. Between 1 and 4 litres depending on

> exersion. I

> > > now know the problems and complications of having too little

O2

> keep a

> > > close eye on my sats.

> > >

> > > But what happens if I'm on too high a dose of O2?

> > >

> > > I'm only asking out of noseyness, it's not something I'm

> contemplating

> > > doing without medical advice, honest!

> > >

> > > Love Ze xx

> > >

> > > (p.s I'm off to cook our dinner now, so I might not reply too

soon)

> > >

> >

>

LOL  HAA HAA I just bet you will.. Love and Prayers, Peggy  ipf 6/04 Florida"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." Thats what I was trying to say. Too much is toxic. But, briefly turning it up for a short shower may well be called for and isn't likely to be a problem. Some day I'm going to actually get in the shower and hold my arm up with my pulse ox to see what happens. That may be the only place I haven't checked my sats. > > >> > >> > > I'm on O2 full time. Between 1 and 4 litres depending on > exersion. I> > > now know the problems and complications of having too little O2 > keep a> > > close eye on my sats.> > >> > > But what happens if I'm on too high a dose of O2?> > >> > > I'm only asking out of noseyness, it's not something I'm > contemplating> > > doing without medical advice, honest!> > >> > > Love Ze xx> > >> > > (p.s I'm off to cook our dinner now, so I might not reply too soon)> > >> >>

That's exactly my understanding from every pulmonologist I've ever seen and from the respiratory therapists at pulmonary rehab also. I remember what happened with Ginger and that sent me running off to ask my doctor about how much was too much O2. If we have a diagnosis of restrictive lung disease, it's virtually impossible for our O2 to be too high. If someone has obstructive lung disease like emphysema or COPD or a combination of restrictive and obstructive lung disease then the concern of too much O2 is real and you should follow your doctors instructions precisely. But for most of us it's just not a real concern or issue.

Oxygen levels below 90 for more than a few minutes are dangerous. Cells begin to die, heart attacks occur, kidney damage, liver damage, muscle damage etc. Like Bruce I don't want something to fail before my lungs and I want to keep the rest of my organs healthy in case I go for a lung transplant at some point.

My O2 needs to be at 3 at rest and somewhere from 4-6 when I'm active and a ton more than that if I'm exercising. That' keeps my sats above 95 and my belief is that keeping it that way protects the rest of my body and keeps me going!

Beth in NC age 48 Fibrotic NSIP 06/06

Re: This is probably one for Dr Bruce too!

Zena, I have been told by the pulmonary therapist that with restrictive lung disease ( that PF in all its forms)there really is no such thing as too much O2. The lpm level should be set to your comfort level..one that keeps your saturation level in the 90's. Lower than that can damage all the other cells in our bodies.We need oxygen for all of our cells.

Z fibriotic NSIP/o5/PA

And “mild” PH/10/07 and Reynaud’s too!!

Potter, reader,carousel lover and MomMom to Darah

“I’m gonna be iron like a lion in Zion” Bob MarleyZena wrote:

I'm on O2 full time. Between 1 and 4 litres depending on exersion. I now know the problems and complications of having too little O2 keep a close eye on my sats.

But what happens if I'm on too high a dose of O2?

I'm only asking out of noseyness, it's not something I'm contemplating doing without medical advice, honest!

Love Ze xx

(p.s I'm off to cook our dinner now, so I might not reply too soon)

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1221 - Release Date: 1/12/2008 2:04 PM

Kathie here, I was hospitalized in November for a week with

pneumonia. During my first 24 hours in the " big house " my sats were

so low they kept turning up the 02. When my daughter came in to see

me I was " asleep " . Unfortunately they couldn't wake me up! Took

awhile but they finally came up with the answer, hypersaturation. So,

can someone there explain to me why. Is the pneumonia acting as an

obstructive disease?

Kathie WA

NSIP '96, PH

> >

> > > I'm on O2 full time. Between 1 and 4 litres depending on

> exersion. I

> > > now know the problems and complications of having too little O2

> keep a

> > > close eye on my sats.

> > >

> > > But what happens if I'm on too high a dose of O2?

> > >

> > > I'm only asking out of noseyness, it's not something I'm

> contemplating

> > > doing without medical advice, honest!

> > >

> > > Love Ze xx

> > >

> > > (p.s I'm off to cook our dinner now, so I might not reply too

> soon)

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >-----------------------------------------------------------------

--

> -----

> > >

> > >No virus found in this incoming message.

> > >Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> > >Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1221 - Release Date:

> 1/12/2008 2:04 PM

> > >

> > >

> >

>