> ones who had the horrible lung biopsy experience!! They had me on

a

> morphine pump and I started getting a migraine Monday night at

10P.

> They came in and gave me a Toradol injection. I have not had a

> migraine in over a year. By Tuesday evening the migraine was

totally

> unbearable, plus with the chest tube in, I could barely move and

> every time I coughed I felt like I was being stabbed in the side!!

> Around midnight Tuesday, they gave me another Toradol injection

> (which was my third cuz they gave me one at 6P). They had told me

> you could hit the morphine pump every 10 minutes, if needed, so I

did

> cuz I could not even bear the light in my eyes. I was lying on the

> bed with a cold compress on my eyes. Then the nausea hit. They

gave

> me Zofran and it was minimal help. An hour later, still nothing --

> still nauseous. I threw up so many times it was unreal. It was

> 20 times within 30 minutes. Nothing but blood. So I panicked,

which

> only made it worse. I tried to cry and then I couldn't breathe at

> all. (I was on oxygen the whole time I was in there. Oh, and

> speaking of, does oxygen normally burn and make your nose bleed a

> lot?) Anyhoo -- They gave me yet another injection of Toradol and

an

> injection of Phenergan in my thigh and I don't remember much after

> that until waking up at 6 a.m. the next morning. At least I

FINALLY

> went to sleep. Take note, NEVER GO TO A HOSPITAL IF YOU WANT TO

GET

> SOME REST!!! LOL!!! My BP dropped to 89/40 and my temp went up to

> 99.9. I am one of those weird people whose normal temp is 95 to

> so when mine is 99, it is like a normal person's temp being 101 to

> 102. I was burning up!! At 6 a.m. they came in with yet ANOTHER

> shot of Toradol, my Nexium, Celexa, Rhinocort Aqua (which made me

> cough even more), Singulair, and Advair Diskus. I am thinking, ok,

> now I can sleep some more. Oh, how was I wrong!! Here comes

> Respiratory with this Air Lite thingy that I have to breathe into

> times and try to make it hit 1000 which would be 1 liter of

oxygen.

> I hit 1000 two times, the rest of the time it was under 500. They

> sent that home with me and told me to do 10 reps every 2 hours to

> prevent pneumonia. They sent me home with Lorcet Plus and so far

> since being home yesterday at 3PM, I have only taken 2, which I

think

> is pretty darn good!! However, I weighed this morning and scales

say

> I actually GAINED 6 pounds this week!! I hardly ate anything while

I

> was in the hospital and what I did eat, came right back up. So, I

am

> thinking the meds are making me gain weight. The only new med I

got

> since being home was Lorcet Plus, so hopefully I will not need that

> long cuz I tried so hard to lose 20 pounds last year and so far I

> have kept it off until this week. I am only 4'11 " and stayed from

> 128 to 132 all through the Holidays (which I thought was great).

Got

> up this morning at nearly 138 and totally freaked out!!! That is

> nearly 10 pounds from my norm. Well, I am back home in my

territory

> now, so I am going to get this weight back off. I bought nothing

but

> healthy foods before I went to surgery, so that should help a lot.

I

> live in an apartment on the second floor, so I tried to get

> everything I could before I left for surgery, so as to not have to

> carry anything up the stairs for at least a couple of weeks.

>

> I am feeling much better today, though, and have a return

appointment

> for recheck with the surgeon on February 5 and have my regularly

> scheduled appointment with my pulmo doc on January 31. Guess he

will

> tell me from there where we can go next.

>

> I actually feel good overall now, except if I have to take a really

> deep breath, i.e, when I sigh, yawn, laugh, or cough, it still

feels

> like someone is stabbing me in the right side. Other than that, I

> guess I am on the road to recovery.

>

> Oh yea, what really flipped me out through all this was the first

day

> my surgeon made his rounds, he came by and said " the path report

from

> that right lung was really bad. " And that was it!! He turned

around

> and walked out. My mom, bless her heart, stayed with me the whole

> time and I would not have made it without her. She tried to catch

> him down the hall to get more info, but he was out of sight.

>

> I caught him the next morning, though, and had him explain further

> and that is when he said the diagnosis was UIP.

>

> There was one other incident that happened while I was there. One

of

> the nurses came in to give me my meds for the day and she dropped

my

> Singulair on the floor, turned out and picked it up and said, Oh,

> well, we can wipe it off. Put it in the cup and gave it to me.

Can

> you believe it? A hospital, no less?? LOL!!!

>

> Well, sorry to be so long, but I really needed to vent!!! Thank

you

> all so much for the support. All of your information before this

> really helped me a lot in getting through it. I am so glad it is

> over. Now just to try and move on through the rest of the process

of

> this horrible disease. Having you all is making it so much easier!!

>

> Thank you all for being there and if I can do anything for anyone

> having this procedure from my experience, please let me know. I

will

> be more than happy to help!!

>

> Caro

>

Actually, mine was a right sided thoracoscopy with pleural space and mid lung biopsies. I received a letter in the mail from Aetna while I was out stating they approved a 1-day surgery stay. Well, I was in there for 4 days, so I am almost cerrtain I have not heard the last from that, either. Thanks for the info on the spirometer. I did not know that. I really hate using that thing. Every time I do, by the time I get to 10 reps, I am totally exhausted. Have to just sit and rest 30 minutes to an hour just to get my breath back. One of the worst parts for me was when he pulled the tube out. He said, take a deep breath, blow it out, then take another deep breath, blow it out and hold it, then he started pulling. I have this flash before my eyes of a CSI episode where they show the inside of your body with something running through the lungs really fast, and then it was

over!! Painful for the moment, but lasted only for a second or so, and then I actually did feel a lot more comfortable after I got my breath back. I was a lot more mobile anyway. I am feeling a LOT better today, but I do know my own body and I tend to do this every time I get any kind of illness and that is the minute I start to feel better, I overdo it, and then I relapse. I do medical transcription from home over the Internet, so that is a plus as far as work goes and I am not scheduled to return to work until Monday, so that will give me the weekend to try and get some more rest before returning to typing again. Thanks so much, Bruce, for all the help. You really gave me so much information before I went through this and actually it was that information that made me decide to go ahead with the procedure in the first place. I do not regret it at all, because

eventually I know I will have to file for disability and my medical bills are piling up so high, it may be sooner than I had planned. At least now I have a definite diagnosis, so when I do have to apply, I can. Thanks again for everything. Hope you all have a great weekend!! CaroBruce Moreland wrote: What a horrible experience. Was this a VATS or Open Biopsy or VATS that became Open?One word of caution. Until you're over 1000

on the spirometer don't back off too much on the pain meds. Your lung feels the pain even if you don't and will limit itself. I recount how sloppy my hospital experience was and then see yours and wonder if they all are becoming like that with carelessness and dismissive attitudes. I was fortunate not to have the complications you did. I do hope you're on the way to recovery from the surgery now and its not too long.>> Hi all,> > Well, I am back home yesterday from my lung biopsy. Diagnosis: > UIP. I have had the worst week!! I will definitely be one of the > ones who had the horrible lung biopsy experience!! They had me on a > morphine pump and I started getting a migraine Monday night at 10P. > They came

in and gave me a Toradol injection. I have not had a > migraine in over a year. By Tuesday evening the migraine was totally > unbearable, plus with the chest tube in, I could barely move and > every time I coughed I felt like I was being stabbed in the side!! > Around midnight Tuesday, they gave me another Toradol injection > (which was my third cuz they gave me one at 6P). They had told me > you could hit the morphine pump every 10 minutes, if needed, so I did > cuz I could not even bear the light in my eyes. I was lying on the > bed with a cold compress on my eyes. Then the nausea hit. They gave > me Zofran and it was minimal help. An hour later, still nothing -- > still nauseous. I threw up so many times it was unreal. It was like > 20 times within 30 minutes. Nothing but blood. So I panicked, which > only made it worse. I tried to cry and then I couldn't breathe at

> all. (I was on oxygen the whole time I was in there. Oh, and > speaking of, does oxygen normally burn and make your nose bleed a > lot?) Anyhoo -- They gave me yet another injection of Toradol and an > injection of Phenergan in my thigh and I don't remember much after > that until waking up at 6 a.m. the next morning. At least I FINALLY > went to sleep. Take note, NEVER GO TO A HOSPITAL IF YOU WANT TO GET > SOME REST!!! LOL!!! My BP dropped to 89/40 and my temp went up to > 99.9. I am one of those weird people whose normal temp is 95 to 96, > so when mine is 99, it is like a normal person's temp being 101 to > 102. I was burning up!! At 6 a.m. they came in with yet ANOTHER > shot of Toradol, my Nexium, Celexa, Rhinocort Aqua (which made me > cough even more), Singulair, and Advair Diskus. I am thinking, ok, > now I can sleep some more. Oh, how was I wrong!! Here

comes > Respiratory with this Air Lite thingy that I have to breathe into 10 > times and try to make it hit 1000 which would be 1 liter of oxygen. > I hit 1000 two times, the rest of the time it was under 500. They > sent that home with me and told me to do 10 reps every 2 hours to > prevent pneumonia. They sent me home with Lorcet Plus and so far > since being home yesterday at 3PM, I have only taken 2, which I think > is pretty darn good!! However, I weighed this morning and scales say > I actually GAINED 6 pounds this week!! I hardly ate anything while I > was in the hospital and what I did eat, came right back up. So, I am > thinking the meds are making me gain weight. The only new med I got > since being home was Lorcet Plus, so hopefully I will not need that > long cuz I tried so hard to lose 20 pounds last year and so far I > have kept it off until

this week. I am only 4'11" and stayed from > 128 to 132 all through the Holidays (which I thought was great). Got > up this morning at nearly 138 and totally freaked out!!! That is > nearly 10 pounds from my norm. Well, I am back home in my territory > now, so I am going to get this weight back off. I bought nothing but > healthy foods before I went to surgery, so that should help a lot. I > live in an apartment on the second floor, so I tried to get > everything I could before I left for surgery, so as to not have to > carry anything up the stairs for at least a couple of weeks. > > I am feeling much better today, though, and have a return appointment > for recheck with the surgeon on February 5 and have my regularly > scheduled appointment with my pulmo doc on January 31. Guess he will > tell me from there where we can go next. > > I actually

feel good overall now, except if I have to take a really > deep breath, i.e, when I sigh, yawn, laugh, or cough, it still feels > like someone is stabbing me in the right side. Other than that, I > guess I am on the road to recovery. > > Oh yea, what really flipped me out through all this was the first day > my surgeon made his rounds, he came by and said "the path report from > that right lung was really bad." And that was it!! He turned around > and walked out. My mom, bless her heart, stayed with me the whole > time and I would not have made it without her. She tried to catch > him down the hall to get more info, but he was out of sight. > > I caught him the next morning, though, and had him explain further > and that is when he said the diagnosis was UIP. > > There was one other incident that happened while I was there. One of > the nurses

came in to give me my meds for the day and she dropped my > Singulair on the floor, turned out and picked it up and said, Oh, > well, we can wipe it off. Put it in the cup and gave it to me. Can > you believe it? A hospital, no less?? LOL!!!> > Well, sorry to be so long, but I really needed to vent!!! Thank you > all so much for the support. All of your information before this > really helped me a lot in getting through it. I am so glad it is > over. Now just to try and move on through the rest of the process of > this horrible disease. Having you all is making it so much easier!!> > Thank you all for being there and if I can do anything for anyone > having this procedure from my experience, please let me know. I will > be more than happy to help!!> > Caro>CaroAsthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06Mississippi

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Caro,

I had a really bad biopsy experience too. Nine days on morphine and the pain was unbearable. It is so strange that some do so well and some are catastrophic.

Well, it is over. You have the information that you need. Take your time getting well. I will pray for you.

Hugs, Joyce D.PULMONARY FIBROSIS/LUPUS 1997 BRONCHIECTASIS 2004 INDIANA 2 COR. 12:10 ....when I am weak, then I am strong.>> Hi all,> > Well, I am back home yesterday from my lung biopsy. Diagnosis: > UIP. I have had the worst week!! I will definitely be one of the > ones who had the horrible lung biopsy experience!! They had me on a > morphine pump and I started getting a migraine Monday night at 10P. > They came in and gave me a Toradol injection. I have not had a > migraine in over a year. By Tuesday evening the migraine was totally > unbearable, plus with the chest tube in, I could barely move and > every time I coughed I felt like I was being stabbed in the side!! > Around midnight Tuesday, they gave me another Toradol injection > (which was my third cuz they gave me one at 6P). They had told me > you could hit the morphine pump every 10 minutes, if needed, so I did > cuz I could not even bear the light in my eyes. I was lying on the > bed with a cold compress on my eyes. Then the nausea hit. They gave > me Zofran and it was minimal help. An hour later, still nothing -- > still nauseous. I threw up so many times it was unreal. It was like > 20 times within 30 minutes. Nothing but blood. So I panicked, which > only made it worse. I tried to cry and then I couldn't breathe at > all. (I was on oxygen the whole time I was in there. Oh, and > speaking of, does oxygen normally burn and make your nose bleed a > lot?) Anyhoo -- They gave me yet another injection of Toradol and an > injection of Phenergan in my thigh and I don't remember much after > that until waking up at 6 a.m. the next morning. At least I FINALLY > went to sleep. Take note, NEVER GO TO A HOSPITAL IF YOU WANT TO GET > SOME REST!!! LOL!!! My BP dropped to 89/40 and my temp went up to > 99.9. I am one of those weird people whose normal temp is 95 to 96, > so when mine is 99, it is like a normal person's temp being 101 to > 102. I was burning up!! At 6 a.m. they came in with yet ANOTHER > shot of Toradol, my Nexium, Celexa, Rhinocort Aqua (which made me > cough even more), Singulair, and Advair Diskus. I am thinking, ok, > now I can sleep some more. Oh, how was I wrong!! Here comes > Respiratory with this Air Lite thingy that I have to breathe into 10 > times and try to make it hit 1000 which would be 1 liter of oxygen. > I hit 1000 two times, the rest of the time it was under 500. They > sent that home with me and told me to do 10 reps every 2 hours to > prevent pneumonia. They sent me home with Lorcet Plus and so far > since being home yesterday at 3PM, I have only taken 2, which I think > is pretty darn good!! However, I weighed this morning and scales say > I actually GAINED 6 pounds this week!! I hardly ate anything while I > was in the hospital and what I did eat, came right back up. So, I am > thinking the meds are making me gain weight. The only new med I got > since being home was Lorcet Plus, so hopefully I will not need that > long cuz I tried so hard to lose 20 pounds last year and so far I > have kept it off until this week. I am only 4'11" and stayed from > 128 to 132 all through the Holidays (which I thought was great). Got > up this morning at nearly 138 and totally freaked out!!! That is > nearly 10 pounds from my norm. Well, I am back home in my territory > now, so I am going to get this weight back off. I bought nothing but > healthy foods before I went to surgery, so that should help a lot. I > live in an apartment on the second floor, so I tried to get > everything I could before I left for surgery, so as to not have to > carry anything up the stairs for at least a couple of weeks. > > I am feeling much better today, though, and have a return appointment > for recheck with the surgeon on February 5 and have my regularly > scheduled appointment with my pulmo doc on January 31. Guess he will > tell me from there where we can go next. > > I actually feel good overall now, except if I have to take a really > deep breath, i.e, when I sigh, yawn, laugh, or cough, it still feels > like someone is stabbing me in the right side. Other than that, I > guess I am on the road to recovery. > > Oh yea, what really flipped me out through all this was the first day > my surgeon made his rounds, he came by and said "the path report from > that right lung was really bad." And that was it!! He turned around > and walked out. My mom, bless her heart, stayed with me the whole > time and I would not have made it without her. She tried to catch > him down the hall to get more info, but he was out of sight. > > I caught him the next morning, though, and had him explain further > and that is when he said the diagnosis was UIP. > > There was one other incident that happened while I was there. One of > the nurses came in to give me my meds for the day and she dropped my > Singulair on the floor, turned out and picked it up and said, Oh, > well, we can wipe it off. Put it in the cup and gave it to me. Can > you believe it? A hospital, no less?? LOL!!!> > Well, sorry to be so long, but I really needed to vent!!! Thank you > all so much for the support. All of your information before this > really helped me a lot in getting through it. I am so glad it is > over. Now just to try and move on through the rest of the process of > this horrible disease. Having you all is making it so much easier!!> > Thank you all for being there and if I can do anything for anyone > having this procedure from my experience, please let me know. I will > be more than happy to help!!> > Caro>

Thanks so much Joyce. I am glad to know I am not the only one who had a bad experience. I was hesitant whether or not to post, because I didn't want anyone who has not had the procedure yet to decide against it just because of my experience. I am glad I went ahead and went through it and, as you said, some people go through it with a breeze. Anyone out there who has not had it and has an opportunity to, I think it is well worth it just for peace of mind even to know what you are actually facing. Once you know, whether yes or no, at least you know for sure and you can move forward with whatever you are dealing with and to me, that was a comfort in itself. Thanks so much for all the support. I absolutely LOVE this group!!! CaroJoyce wrote: Caro, I had a really bad biopsy experience too. Nine days on morphine and the pain was unbearable. It is so strange that some do so well and some are catastrophic. Well, it is over. You have the information that you need. Take your time getting well. I will pray for you. Hugs, Joyce D.PULMONARY FIBROSIS/LUPUS 1997 BRONCHIECTASIS 2004

INDIANA 2 COR. 12:10 ....when I am weak, then I am strong.>> Hi all,> > Well, I am back home yesterday from my lung biopsy. Diagnosis: > UIP. I have had the worst week!! I will definitely be one of the > ones who had the horrible lung biopsy experience!! They had me on a > morphine pump and I started getting a migraine Monday night at 10P. > They came in and gave me a Toradol injection. I have not had a > migraine in over a year. By Tuesday evening the migraine was totally > unbearable, plus with the chest tube in, I could barely move and > every time I coughed I felt like I was being stabbed in the side!! > Around midnight Tuesday, they gave me another Toradol

injection > (which was my third cuz they gave me one at 6P). They had told me > you could hit the morphine pump every 10 minutes, if needed, so I did > cuz I could not even bear the light in my eyes. I was lying on the > bed with a cold compress on my eyes. Then the nausea hit. They gave > me Zofran and it was minimal help. An hour later, still nothing -- > still nauseous. I threw up so many times it was unreal. It was like > 20 times within 30 minutes. Nothing but blood. So I panicked, which > only made it worse. I tried to cry and then I couldn't breathe at > all. (I was on oxygen the whole time I was in there. Oh, and > speaking of, does oxygen normally burn and make your nose bleed a > lot?) Anyhoo -- They gave me yet another injection of Toradol and an > injection of Phenergan in my thigh and I don't remember much after > that until waking up at 6 a.m. the next morning. At least

I FINALLY > went to sleep. Take note, NEVER GO TO A HOSPITAL IF YOU WANT TO GET > SOME REST!!! LOL!!! My BP dropped to 89/40 and my temp went up to > 99.9. I am one of those weird people whose normal temp is 95 to 96, > so when mine is 99, it is like a normal person's temp being 101 to > 102. I was burning up!! At 6 a.m. they came in with yet ANOTHER > shot of Toradol, my Nexium, Celexa, Rhinocort Aqua (which made me > cough even more), Singulair, and Advair Diskus. I am thinking, ok, > now I can sleep some more. Oh, how was I wrong!! Here comes > Respiratory with this Air Lite thingy that I have to breathe into 10 > times and try to make it hit 1000 which would be 1 liter of oxygen. > I hit 1000 two times, the rest of the time it was under 500. They > sent that home with me and told me to do 10 reps every 2 hours to > prevent pneumonia. They sent me home with Lorcet Plus and so far

> since being home yesterday at 3PM, I have only taken 2, which I think > is pretty darn good!! However, I weighed this morning and scales say > I actually GAINED 6 pounds this week!! I hardly ate anything while I > was in the hospital and what I did eat, came right back up. So, I am > thinking the meds are making me gain weight. The only new med I got > since being home was Lorcet Plus, so hopefully I will not need that > long cuz I tried so hard to lose 20 pounds last year and so far I > have kept it off until this week. I am only 4'11" and stayed from > 128 to 132 all through the Holidays (which I thought was great). Got > up this morning at nearly 138 and totally freaked out!!! That is > nearly 10 pounds from my norm. Well, I am back home in my territory > now, so I am going to get this weight back off. I bought nothing but > healthy foods before I went to surgery, so that should

help a lot. I > live in an apartment on the second floor, so I tried to get > everything I could before I left for surgery, so as to not have to > carry anything up the stairs for at least a couple of weeks. > > I am feeling much better today, though, and have a return appointment > for recheck with the surgeon on February 5 and have my regularly > scheduled appointment with my pulmo doc on January 31. Guess he will > tell me from there where we can go next. > > I actually feel good overall now, except if I have to take a really > deep breath, i.e, when I sigh, yawn, laugh, or cough, it still feels > like someone is stabbing me in the right side. Other than that, I > guess I am on the road to recovery. > > Oh yea, what really flipped me out through all this was the first day > my surgeon made his rounds, he came by and said "the path report from > that

right lung was really bad." And that was it!! He turned around > and walked out. My mom, bless her heart, stayed with me the whole > time and I would not have made it without her. She tried to catch > him down the hall to get more info, but he was out of sight. > > I caught him the next morning, though, and had him explain further > and that is when he said the diagnosis was UIP. > > There was one other incident that happened while I was there. One of > the nurses came in to give me my meds for the day and she dropped my > Singulair on the floor, turned out and picked it up and said, Oh, > well, we can wipe it off. Put it in the cup and gave it to me. Can > you believe it? A hospital, no less?? LOL!!!> > Well, sorry to be so long, but I really needed to vent!!! Thank you > all so much for the support. All of your information before this > really helped me a lot

in getting through it. I am so glad it is > over. Now just to try and move on through the rest of the process of > this horrible disease. Having you all is making it so much easier!!> > Thank you all for being there and if I can do anything for anyone > having this procedure from my experience, please let me know. I will > be more than happy to help!!> > Caro> CaroAsthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06Mississippi

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Caro...oh I'm so glad to hear you are doing better! What a horrible experience for you. Stories like yours keep me from having a OLB. And at my age.

God bless.

Mama-Sher, 69; IPF, 3-06, OR.Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Lung biopsy

Hi all,Well, I am back home yesterday from my lung biopsy. Diagnosis: UIP. I have had the worst week!! I will definitely be one of the ones who had the horrible lung biopsy experience!! They had me on a morphine pump and I started getting a migraine Monday night at 10P. They came in and gave me a Toradol injection. I have not had a migraine in over a year. By Tuesday evening the migraine was totally unbearable, plus with the chest tube in, I could barely move and every time I coughed I felt like I was being stabbed in the side!! Around midnight Tuesday, they gave me another Toradol injection (which was my third cuz they gave me one at 6P). They had told me you could hit the morphine pump every 10 minutes, if needed, so I did cuz I could not even bear the light in my eyes. I was lying on the bed with a cold compress on my eyes. Then the nausea hit. They gave me Zofran and it was minimal help. An hour later, still nothing -- still nauseous. I threw up so many times it was unreal. It was like 20 times within 30 minutes. Nothing but blood. So I panicked, which only made it worse. I tried to cry and then I couldn't breathe at all. (I was on oxygen the whole time I was in there. Oh, and speaking of, does oxygen normally burn and make your nose bleed a lot?) Anyhoo -- They gave me yet another injection of Toradol and an injection of Phenergan in my thigh and I don't remember much after that until waking up at 6 a.m. the next morning. At least I FINALLY went to sleep. Take note, NEVER GO TO A HOSPITAL IF YOU WANT TO GET SOME REST!!! LOL!!! My BP dropped to 89/40 and my temp went up to 99.9. I am one of those weird people whose normal temp is 95 to 96, so when mine is 99, it is like a normal person's temp being 101 to 102. I was burning up!! At 6 a.m. they came in with yet ANOTHER shot of Toradol, my Nexium, Celexa, Rhinocort Aqua (which made me cough even more), Singulair, and Advair Diskus. I am thinking, ok, now I can sleep some more. Oh, how was I wrong!! Here comes Respiratory with this Air Lite thingy that I have to breathe into 10 times and try to make it hit 1000 which would be 1 liter of oxygen. I hit 1000 two times, the rest of the time it was under 500. They sent that home with me and told me to do 10 reps every 2 hours to prevent pneumonia. They sent me home with Lorcet Plus and so far since being home yesterday at 3PM, I have only taken 2, which I think is pretty darn good!! However, I weighed this morning and scales say I actually GAINED 6 pounds this week!! I hardly ate anything while I was in the hospital and what I did eat, came right back up. So, I am thinking the meds are making me gain weight. The only new med I got since being home was Lorcet Plus, so hopefully I will not need that long cuz I tried so hard to lose 20 pounds last year and so far I have kept it off until this week. I am only 4'11" and stayed from 128 to 132 all through the Holidays (which I thought was great). Got up this morning at nearly 138 and totally freaked out!!! That is nearly 10 pounds from my norm. Well, I am back home in my territory now, so I am going to get this weight back off. I bought nothing but healthy foods before I went to surgery, so that should help a lot. I live in an apartment on the second floor, so I tried to get everything I could before I left for surgery, so as to not have to carry anything up the stairs for at least a couple of weeks. I am feeling much better today, though, and have a return appointment for recheck with the surgeon on February 5 and have my regularly scheduled appointment with my pulmo doc on January 31. Guess he will tell me from there where we can go next. I actually feel good overall now, except if I have to take a really deep breath, i.e, when I sigh, yawn, laugh, or cough, it still feels like someone is stabbing me in the right side. Other than that, I guess I am on the road to recovery. Oh yea, what really flipped me out through all this was the first day my surgeon made his rounds, he came by and said "the path report from that right lung was really bad." And that was it!! He turned around and walked out. My mom, bless her heart, stayed with me the whole time and I would not have made it without her. She tried to catch him down the hall to get more info, but he was out of sight. I caught him the next morning, though, and had him explain further and that is when he said the diagnosis was UIP. There was one other incident that happened while I was there. One of the nurses came in to give me my meds for the day and she dropped my Singulair on the floor, turned out and picked it up and said, Oh, well, we can wipe it off. Put it in the cup and gave it to me. Can you believe it? A hospital, no less?? LOL!!!Well, sorry to be so long, but I really needed to vent!!! Thank you all so much for the support. All of your information before this really helped me a lot in getting through it. I am so glad it is over. Now just to try and move on through the rest of the process of this horrible disease. Having you all is making it so much easier!!Thank you all for being there and if I can do anything for anyone having this procedure from my experience, please let me know. I will be more than happy to help!!Caro

I got that same Aetna letter then more. I called initially. They do

it one day at a time even though they know its going to be more.

Guess in case you die the first day?

The tube pulling out didn't hurt me at all. Maybe the girl was very

good at it or maybe it was because they didn't shave me down far

enough and she had just ripped about a 4 inch my 8 inch area of hair

off my body in one large rip. After that pain, the tube was nothing.

You're welcome although I never try to influence a decision and not

sure how I would feel after what you went through. But, the thing I

do hope for is that people do or don't do the biopsies by choice and

knowing why, making informed decisions. I think your post definitely

adds to the information available here. People need to understand how

it can go badly. I have no argument with people who decide either

way, just hate to see those who feel they were misled and made a

mistake. Even though I think the pneumonia I've had is residual from

mine, I'm still glad to have the biopsy results. I just switched

pulmonologists and he doesn't have everything to him yet, as I'm

getting the copies run. However, I know if I didn't have the biopsy

verification he'd be pushing me far more strongly to try prednisone.

And, if i had any other form of PF, I'd consider it.

> >

> > Hi all,

> >

> > Well, I am back home yesterday from my lung biopsy. Diagnosis:

> > UIP. I have had the worst week!! I will definitely be one of the

> > ones who had the horrible lung biopsy experience!! They had me on

> a

> > morphine pump and I started getting a migraine Monday night at

> 10P.

> > They came in and gave me a Toradol injection. I have not had a

> > migraine in over a year. By Tuesday evening the migraine was

> totally

> > unbearable, plus with the chest tube in, I could barely move and

> > every time I coughed I felt like I was being stabbed in the

side!!

> > Around midnight Tuesday, they gave me another Toradol injection

> > (which was my third cuz they gave me one at 6P). They had told me

> > you could hit the morphine pump every 10 minutes, if needed, so I

> did

> > cuz I could not even bear the light in my eyes. I was lying on

the

> > bed with a cold compress on my eyes. Then the nausea hit. They

> gave

> > me Zofran and it was minimal help. An hour later, still nothing --

> > still nauseous. I threw up so many times it was unreal. It was

> like

> > 20 times within 30 minutes. Nothing but blood. So I panicked,

> which

> > only made it worse. I tried to cry and then I couldn't breathe at

> > all. (I was on oxygen the whole time I was in there. Oh, and

> > speaking of, does oxygen normally burn and make your nose bleed a

> > lot?) Anyhoo -- They gave me yet another injection of Toradol and

> an

> > injection of Phenergan in my thigh and I don't remember much

after

> > that until waking up at 6 a.m. the next morning. At least I

> FINALLY

> > went to sleep. Take note, NEVER GO TO A HOSPITAL IF YOU WANT TO

> GET

> > SOME REST!!! LOL!!! My BP dropped to 89/40 and my temp went up to

> > 99.9. I am one of those weird people whose normal temp is 95 to

> 96,

> > so when mine is 99, it is like a normal person's temp being 101

to

> > 102. I was burning up!! At 6 a.m. they came in with yet ANOTHER

> > shot of Toradol, my Nexium, Celexa, Rhinocort Aqua (which made me

> > cough even more), Singulair, and Advair Diskus. I am thinking,

ok,

> > now I can sleep some more. Oh, how was I wrong!! Here comes

> > Respiratory with this Air Lite thingy that I have to breathe into

> 10

> > times and try to make it hit 1000 which would be 1 liter of

> oxygen.

> > I hit 1000 two times, the rest of the time it was under 500. They

> > sent that home with me and told me to do 10 reps every 2 hours to

> > prevent pneumonia. They sent me home with Lorcet Plus and so far

> > since being home yesterday at 3PM, I have only taken 2, which I

> think

> > is pretty darn good!! However, I weighed this morning and scales

> say

> > I actually GAINED 6 pounds this week!! I hardly ate anything

while

> I

> > was in the hospital and what I did eat, came right back up. So, I

> am

> > thinking the meds are making me gain weight. The only new med I

> got

> > since being home was Lorcet Plus, so hopefully I will not need

that

> > long cuz I tried so hard to lose 20 pounds last year and so far I

> > have kept it off until this week. I am only 4'11 " and stayed from

> > 128 to 132 all through the Holidays (which I thought was great).

> Got

> > up this morning at nearly 138 and totally freaked out!!! That is

> > nearly 10 pounds from my norm. Well, I am back home in my

> territory

> > now, so I am going to get this weight back off. I bought nothing

> but

> > healthy foods before I went to surgery, so that should help a

lot.

> I

> > live in an apartment on the second floor, so I tried to get

> > everything I could before I left for surgery, so as to not have

to

> > carry anything up the stairs for at least a couple of weeks.

> >

> > I am feeling much better today, though, and have a return

> appointment

> > for recheck with the surgeon on February 5 and have my regularly

> > scheduled appointment with my pulmo doc on January 31. Guess he

> will

> > tell me from there where we can go next.

> >

> > I actually feel good overall now, except if I have to take a

really

> > deep breath, i.e, when I sigh, yawn, laugh, or cough, it still

> feels

> > like someone is stabbing me in the right side. Other than that, I

> > guess I am on the road to recovery.

> >

> > Oh yea, what really flipped me out through all this was the first

> day

> > my surgeon made his rounds, he came by and said " the path report

> from

> > that right lung was really bad. " And that was it!! He turned

> around

> > and walked out. My mom, bless her heart, stayed with me the whole

> > time and I would not have made it without her. She tried to catch

> > him down the hall to get more info, but he was out of sight.

> >

> > I caught him the next morning, though, and had him explain

further

> > and that is when he said the diagnosis was UIP.

> >

> > There was one other incident that happened while I was there. One

> of

> > the nurses came in to give me my meds for the day and she dropped

> my

> > Singulair on the floor, turned out and picked it up and said, Oh,

> > well, we can wipe it off. Put it in the cup and gave it to me.

> Can

> > you believe it? A hospital, no less?? LOL!!!

> >

> > Well, sorry to be so long, but I really needed to vent!!! Thank

> you

> > all so much for the support. All of your information before this

> > really helped me a lot in getting through it. I am so glad it is

> > over. Now just to try and move on through the rest of the process

> of

> > this horrible disease. Having you all is making it so much

easier!!

> >

> > Thank you all for being there and if I can do anything for anyone

> > having this procedure from my experience, please let me know. I

> will

> > be more than happy to help!!

> >

> > Caro

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Caro

> Asthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06

> Mississippi

>

> ---------------------------------

> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo!

Search.

>

And I wasn't even offered morphine....oh my.....

Ok, I'm not that big on morphine and I'll take my experience over

yours or hers.

> >

> > Hi all,

> >

a

10P.

totally

> > every time I coughed I felt like I was being stabbed in the side!!

did

> > cuz I could not even bear the light in my eyes. I was lying on the

gave

which

an

> > injection of Phenergan in my thigh and I don't remember much after

FINALLY

GET

> > so when mine is 99, it is like a normal person's temp being 101 to

> > cough even more), Singulair, and Advair Diskus. I am thinking, ok,

oxygen.

think

say

while I

am

got

that

Got

territory

but

lot. I

> > everything I could before I left for surgery, so as to not have to

> >

appointment

will

> >

really

feels

> >

day

from

around

> >

> > I caught him the next morning, though, and had him explain further

> >

of

my

> > well, we can wipe it off. Put it in the cup and gave it to me. Can

> >

you

of

easier!!

> >

will

> >

> > Caro

> >

>

All the more reason to post yours. People need to know all they can.

I came here and read of all the experiences I could. Then I asked

hard questions to my surgeon about his patient's experiences. I asked

how many he had done and how many had complications and what they

were. He only had one with complications, but she died. Your post may

help someone for whom the surgery is wrong, decide not to have it. It

may also save a lot of anger for someone who does have it as they

won't feel misled but will have done so fully knowledgeable.

Had a friend of friend yesterday who went to surgeon for probably

removal of a tumor. His wife was thrilled as the surgeon kept talking

about what a great Christian he was and his beliefs. Sorry, I would

have wanted to have known what kind of surgeon he was and they didn't

even ask questions about that. Based on other comments he made that

were outlandish I'd be seeing another. He said oh he thought 90%

probability of cancer. Then, followed, but I've been wrong before.

However, with 90% probability of cancer he told them not to see an

oncologist yet, to just wait for the results.

> >

> > Hi all,

> >

a

10P.

totally

> > every time I coughed I felt like I was being stabbed in the

side!!

did

> > cuz I could not even bear the light in my eyes. I was lying on

the

gave

which

an

> > injection of Phenergan in my thigh and I don't remember much

after

FINALLY

GET

> > so when mine is 99, it is like a normal person's temp being 101

to

> > cough even more), Singulair, and Advair Diskus. I am thinking,

ok,

oxygen.

think

say

while I

am

got

that

Got

territory

but

lot. I

> > everything I could before I left for surgery, so as to not have

to

> >

appointment

will

> >

really

feels

> >

day

from

around

> >

> > I caught him the next morning, though, and had him explain

further

> >

of

my

> > well, we can wipe it off. Put it in the cup and gave it to me.

Can

> >

you

of

easier!!

> >

will

> >

> > Caro

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Caro

> Asthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06

> Mississippi

>

> ---------------------------------

> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

>

Sher

Yes, her experiences and others I believe have helped you make the

decision that is right for you. You've made an informed decision.

>

> Caro...oh I'm so glad to hear you are doing better! What a horrible

experience for you. Stories like yours keep me from having a OLB. And

at my age.

> God bless.

> Mama-Sher, 69; IPF, 3-06, OR.

> Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

> Lung biopsy

>

>

> Hi all,

>

> Well, I am back home yesterday from my lung biopsy. Diagnosis:

> UIP. I have had the worst week!! I will definitely be one of the

> ones who had the horrible lung biopsy experience!! They had me on

a

> morphine pump and I started getting a migraine Monday night at

10P.

> They came in and gave me a Toradol injection. I have not had a

> migraine in over a year. By Tuesday evening the migraine was

totally

> unbearable, plus with the chest tube in, I could barely move and

> every time I coughed I felt like I was being stabbed in the

side!!

> Around midnight Tuesday, they gave me another Toradol injection

> (which was my third cuz they gave me one at 6P). They had told me

> you could hit the morphine pump every 10 minutes, if needed, so I

did

> cuz I could not even bear the light in my eyes. I was lying on

the

> bed with a cold compress on my eyes. Then the nausea hit. They

gave

> me Zofran and it was minimal help. An hour later, still nothing --

> still nauseous. I threw up so many times it was unreal. It was

> 20 times within 30 minutes. Nothing but blood. So I panicked,

which

> only made it worse. I tried to cry and then I couldn't breathe at

> all. (I was on oxygen the whole time I was in there. Oh, and

> speaking of, does oxygen normally burn and make your nose bleed a

> lot?) Anyhoo -- They gave me yet another injection of Toradol and

an

> injection of Phenergan in my thigh and I don't remember much

after

> that until waking up at 6 a.m. the next morning. At least I

FINALLY

> went to sleep. Take note, NEVER GO TO A HOSPITAL IF YOU WANT TO

GET

> SOME REST!!! LOL!!! My BP dropped to 89/40 and my temp went up to

> 99.9. I am one of those weird people whose normal temp is 95 to

> so when mine is 99, it is like a normal person's temp being 101

to

> 102. I was burning up!! At 6 a.m. they came in with yet ANOTHER

> shot of Toradol, my Nexium, Celexa, Rhinocort Aqua (which made me

> cough even more), Singulair, and Advair Diskus. I am thinking,

ok,

> now I can sleep some more. Oh, how was I wrong!! Here comes

> Respiratory with this Air Lite thingy that I have to breathe into

> times and try to make it hit 1000 which would be 1 liter of

oxygen.

> I hit 1000 two times, the rest of the time it was under 500. They

> sent that home with me and told me to do 10 reps every 2 hours to

> prevent pneumonia. They sent me home with Lorcet Plus and so far

> since being home yesterday at 3PM, I have only taken 2, which I

think

> is pretty darn good!! However, I weighed this morning and scales

say

> I actually GAINED 6 pounds this week!! I hardly ate anything

while I

> was in the hospital and what I did eat, came right back up. So, I

am

> thinking the meds are making me gain weight. The only new med I

got

> since being home was Lorcet Plus, so hopefully I will not need

that

> long cuz I tried so hard to lose 20 pounds last year and so far I

> have kept it off until this week. I am only 4'11 " and stayed from

> 128 to 132 all through the Holidays (which I thought was great).

Got

> up this morning at nearly 138 and totally freaked out!!! That is

> nearly 10 pounds from my norm. Well, I am back home in my

territory

> now, so I am going to get this weight back off. I bought nothing

but

> healthy foods before I went to surgery, so that should help a

lot. I

> live in an apartment on the second floor, so I tried to get

> everything I could before I left for surgery, so as to not have

to

> carry anything up the stairs for at least a couple of weeks.

>

> I am feeling much better today, though, and have a return

appointment

> for recheck with the surgeon on February 5 and have my regularly

> scheduled appointment with my pulmo doc on January 31. Guess he

will

> tell me from there where we can go next.

>

> I actually feel good overall now, except if I have to take a

really

> deep breath, i.e, when I sigh, yawn, laugh, or cough, it still

feels

> like someone is stabbing me in the right side. Other than that, I

> guess I am on the road to recovery.

>

> Oh yea, what really flipped me out through all this was the first

day

> my surgeon made his rounds, he came by and said " the path report

from

> that right lung was really bad. " And that was it!! He turned

around

> and walked out. My mom, bless her heart, stayed with me the whole

> time and I would not have made it without her. She tried to catch

> him down the hall to get more info, but he was out of sight.

>

> I caught him the next morning, though, and had him explain

further

> and that is when he said the diagnosis was UIP.

>

> There was one other incident that happened while I was there. One

of

> the nurses came in to give me my meds for the day and she dropped

my

> Singulair on the floor, turned out and picked it up and said, Oh,

> well, we can wipe it off. Put it in the cup and gave it to me.

Can

> you believe it? A hospital, no less?? LOL!!!

>

> Well, sorry to be so long, but I really needed to vent!!! Thank

you

> all so much for the support. All of your information before this

> really helped me a lot in getting through it. I am so glad it is

> over. Now just to try and move on through the rest of the process

of

> this horrible disease. Having you all is making it so much

easier!!

>

> Thank you all for being there and if I can do anything for anyone

> having this procedure from my experience, please let me know. I

will

> be more than happy to help!!

>

> Caro

>

I think that it's important to know that these procedures can be completely problem free, and also what people's real experiences are. It's one thing being told by a doctor that this procedure may be 'uncomfortable', when he has never had the proceedure himself, it's a completely different scenario when someone is saying 'When I had it, this is what I felt'. Personally I'm don't mind being told that a procedure might hurt, I like to be prepared for it. What I don't like is being told that something won't hurt, or that I 'may feel some discomfort' and ending up in pain.

Love Ze xx> > >> > > Hi all,> > > > > > Well, I am back home yesterday from my lung biopsy. Diagnosis: > > > UIP. I have had the worst week!! I will definitely be one of the > > > ones who had the horrible lung biopsy experience!! They had me on > > a > > > morphine pump and I started getting a migraine Monday night at > > 10P. > > > They came in and gave me a Toradol injection. I have not had a > > > migraine in over a year. By Tuesday evening the migraine was > > totally > > > unbearable, plus with the chest tube in, I could barely move and > > > every time I coughed I felt like I was being stabbed in the > side!! > > > Around midnight Tuesday, they gave me another Toradol injection > > > (which was my third cuz they gave me one at 6P). They had told me > > > you could hit the morphine pump every 10 minutes, if needed, so I > > did > > > cuz I could not even bear the light in my eyes. I was lying on > the > > > bed with a cold compress on my eyes. Then the nausea hit. They > > gave > > > me Zofran and it was minimal help. An hour later, still nothing --> > > > still nauseous. I threw up so many times it was unreal. It was > > like > > > 20 times within 30 minutes. Nothing but blood. So I panicked, > > which > > > only made it worse. I tried to cry and then I couldn't breathe at > > > all. (I was on oxygen the whole time I was in there. Oh, and > > > speaking of, does oxygen normally burn and make your nose bleed a > > > lot?) Anyhoo -- They gave me yet another injection of Toradol and > > an > > > injection of Phenergan in my thigh and I don't remember much > after > > > that until waking up at 6 a.m. the next morning. At least I > > FINALLY > > > went to sleep. Take note, NEVER GO TO A HOSPITAL IF YOU WANT TO > > GET > > > SOME REST!!! LOL!!! My BP dropped to 89/40 and my temp went up to > > > 99.9. I am one of those weird people whose normal temp is 95 to > > 96, > > > so when mine is 99, it is like a normal person's temp being 101 > to > > > 102. I was burning up!! At 6 a.m. they came in with yet ANOTHER > > > shot of Toradol, my Nexium, Celexa, Rhinocort Aqua (which made me > > > cough even more), Singulair, and Advair Diskus. I am thinking, > ok, > > > now I can sleep some more. Oh, how was I wrong!! Here comes > > > Respiratory with this Air Lite thingy that I have to breathe into > > 10 > > > times and try to make it hit 1000 which would be 1 liter of > > oxygen. > > > I hit 1000 two times, the rest of the time it was under 500. They > > > sent that home with me and told me to do 10 reps every 2 hours to > > > prevent pneumonia. They sent me home with Lorcet Plus and so far > > > since being home yesterday at 3PM, I have only taken 2, which I > > think > > > is pretty darn good!! However, I weighed this morning and scales > > say > > > I actually GAINED 6 pounds this week!! I hardly ate anything > while > > I > > > was in the hospital and what I did eat, came right back up. So, I > > am > > > thinking the meds are making me gain weight. The only new med I > > got > > > since being home was Lorcet Plus, so hopefully I will not need > that > > > long cuz I tried so hard to lose 20 pounds last year and so far I > > > have kept it off until this week. I am only 4'11" and stayed from > > > 128 to 132 all through the Holidays (which I thought was great). > > Got > > > up this morning at nearly 138 and totally freaked out!!! That is > > > nearly 10 pounds from my norm. Well, I am back home in my > > territory > > > now, so I am going to get this weight back off. I bought nothing > > but > > > healthy foods before I went to surgery, so that should help a > lot. > > I > > > live in an apartment on the second floor, so I tried to get > > > everything I could before I left for surgery, so as to not have > to > > > carry anything up the stairs for at least a couple of weeks. > > > > > > I am feeling much better today, though, and have a return > > appointment > > > for recheck with the surgeon on February 5 and have my regularly > > > scheduled appointment with my pulmo doc on January 31. Guess he > > will > > > tell me from there where we can go next. > > > > > > I actually feel good overall now, except if I have to take a > really > > > deep breath, i.e, when I sigh, yawn, laugh, or cough, it still > > feels > > > like someone is stabbing me in the right side. Other than that, I > > > guess I am on the road to recovery. > > > > > > Oh yea, what really flipped me out through all this was the first > > day > > > my surgeon made his rounds, he came by and said "the path report > > from > > > that right lung was really bad." And that was it!! He turned > > around > > > and walked out. My mom, bless her heart, stayed with me the whole > > > time and I would not have made it without her. She tried to catch > > > him down the hall to get more info, but he was out of sight. > > > > > > I caught him the next morning, though, and had him explain > further > > > and that is when he said the diagnosis was UIP. > > > > > > There was one other incident that happened while I was there. One > > of > > > the nurses came in to give me my meds for the day and she dropped > > my > > > Singulair on the floor, turned out and picked it up and said, Oh, > > > well, we can wipe it off. Put it in the cup and gave it to me. > > Can > > > you believe it? A hospital, no less?? LOL!!!> > > > > > Well, sorry to be so long, but I really needed to vent!!! Thank > > you > > > all so much for the support. All of your information before this > > > really helped me a lot in getting through it. I am so glad it is > > > over. Now just to try and move on through the rest of the process > > of > > > this horrible disease. Having you all is making it so much > easier!!> > > > > > Thank you all for being there and if I can do anything for anyone > > > having this procedure from my experience, please let me know. I > > will > > > be more than happy to help!!> > > > > > Caro> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Caro> > Asthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06> > Mississippi> > > > ---------------------------------> > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! > Search.> >>

Yes, tell me all the cases...best....worst.....most probable. Don't

influence my decision in either direction with biased information.

I remember the coldness of my mother being told in 1968 when she had

a quadruple heart by pass (did you know they did them in 68-was

considered still experimental) that there was a 20% probability she

would not make it through the surgery itself. The alternative at that

time was the loss of one leg within 6 months, the other within 12-18

and additional arterial blockage. She had the surgery. It worked. She

had 14 more years of good life. But she knew the odds and it also was

good for me to know that if something did go wrong, she made the

right decision for herself.

> > > >

> > > > Hi all,

> > > >

> > > > Well, I am back home yesterday from my lung biopsy. Diagnosis:

> > > > UIP. I have had the worst week!! I will definitely be one of

the

> > > > ones who had the horrible lung biopsy experience!! They had

me on

> > > a

> > > > morphine pump and I started getting a migraine Monday night at

> > > 10P.

> > > > They came in and gave me a Toradol injection. I have not had a

> > > > migraine in over a year. By Tuesday evening the migraine was

> > > totally

> > > > unbearable, plus with the chest tube in, I could barely move

and

> > > > every time I coughed I felt like I was being stabbed in the

> > side!!

> > > > Around midnight Tuesday, they gave me another Toradol

injection

> > > > (which was my third cuz they gave me one at 6P). They had

told me

> > > > you could hit the morphine pump every 10 minutes, if needed,

so I

> > > did

> > > > cuz I could not even bear the light in my eyes. I was lying on

> > the

> > > > bed with a cold compress on my eyes. Then the nausea hit. They

> > > gave

> > > > me Zofran and it was minimal help. An hour later, still

nothing --

> >

> > > > still nauseous. I threw up so many times it was unreal. It was

> > > like

> > > > 20 times within 30 minutes. Nothing but blood. So I panicked,

> > > which

> > > > only made it worse. I tried to cry and then I couldn't

breathe at

> > > > all. (I was on oxygen the whole time I was in there. Oh, and

> > > > speaking of, does oxygen normally burn and make your nose

bleed a

> > > > lot?) Anyhoo -- They gave me yet another injection of Toradol

and

> > > an

> > > > injection of Phenergan in my thigh and I don't remember much

> > after

> > > > that until waking up at 6 a.m. the next morning. At least I

> > > FINALLY

> > > > went to sleep. Take note, NEVER GO TO A HOSPITAL IF YOU WANT

TO

> > > GET

> > > > SOME REST!!! LOL!!! My BP dropped to 89/40 and my temp went

up to

> > > > 99.9. I am one of those weird people whose normal temp is 95

to

> > > 96,

> > > > so when mine is 99, it is like a normal person's temp being

> > to

> > > > 102. I was burning up!! At 6 a.m. they came in with yet

ANOTHER

> > > > shot of Toradol, my Nexium, Celexa, Rhinocort Aqua (which

made me

> > > > cough even more), Singulair, and Advair Diskus. I am thinking,

> > ok,

> > > > now I can sleep some more. Oh, how was I wrong!! Here comes

> > > > Respiratory with this Air Lite thingy that I have to breathe

into

> > > 10

> > > > times and try to make it hit 1000 which would be 1 liter of

> > > oxygen.

> > > > I hit 1000 two times, the rest of the time it was under 500.

They

> > > > sent that home with me and told me to do 10 reps every 2

hours to

> > > > prevent pneumonia. They sent me home with Lorcet Plus and so

far

> > > > since being home yesterday at 3PM, I have only taken 2, which

I

> > > think

> > > > is pretty darn good!! However, I weighed this morning and

scales

> > > say

> > > > I actually GAINED 6 pounds this week!! I hardly ate anything

> > while

> > > I

> > > > was in the hospital and what I did eat, came right back up.

So, I

> > > am

> > > > thinking the meds are making me gain weight. The only new med

I

> > > got

> > > > since being home was Lorcet Plus, so hopefully I will not need

> > that

> > > > long cuz I tried so hard to lose 20 pounds last year and so

far I

> > > > have kept it off until this week. I am only 4'11 " and stayed

from

> > > > 128 to 132 all through the Holidays (which I thought was

great).

> > > Got

> > > > up this morning at nearly 138 and totally freaked out!!! That

is

> > > > nearly 10 pounds from my norm. Well, I am back home in my

> > > territory

> > > > now, so I am going to get this weight back off. I bought

nothing

> > > but

> > > > healthy foods before I went to surgery, so that should help a

> > lot.

> > > I

> > > > live in an apartment on the second floor, so I tried to get

> > > > everything I could before I left for surgery, so as to not

have

> > to

> > > > carry anything up the stairs for at least a couple of weeks.

> > > >

> > > > I am feeling much better today, though, and have a return

> > > appointment

> > > > for recheck with the surgeon on February 5 and have my

regularly

> > > > scheduled appointment with my pulmo doc on January 31. Guess

he

> > > will

> > > > tell me from there where we can go next.

> > > >

> > > > I actually feel good overall now, except if I have to take a

> > really

> > > > deep breath, i.e, when I sigh, yawn, laugh, or cough, it still

> > > feels

> > > > like someone is stabbing me in the right side. Other than

that, I

> > > > guess I am on the road to recovery.

> > > >

> > > > Oh yea, what really flipped me out through all this was the

first

> > > day

> > > > my surgeon made his rounds, he came by and said " the path

> > > from

> > > > that right lung was really bad. " And that was it!! He turned

> > > around

> > > > and walked out. My mom, bless her heart, stayed with me the

whole

> > > > time and I would not have made it without her. She tried to

catch

> > > > him down the hall to get more info, but he was out of sight.

> > > >

> > > > I caught him the next morning, though, and had him explain

> > further

> > > > and that is when he said the diagnosis was UIP.

> > > >

> > > > There was one other incident that happened while I was there.

One

> > > of

> > > > the nurses came in to give me my meds for the day and she

dropped

> > > my

> > > > Singulair on the floor, turned out and picked it up and said,

Oh,

> > > > well, we can wipe it off. Put it in the cup and gave it to me.

> > > Can

> > > > you believe it? A hospital, no less?? LOL!!!

> > > >

> > > > Well, sorry to be so long, but I really needed to vent!!!

Thank

> > > you

> > > > all so much for the support. All of your information before

this

> > > > really helped me a lot in getting through it. I am so glad it

is

> > > > over. Now just to try and move on through the rest of the

process

> > > of

> > > > this horrible disease. Having you all is making it so much

> > easier!!

> > > >

> > > > Thank you all for being there and if I can do anything for

anyone

> > > > having this procedure from my experience, please let me know.

I

> > > will

> > > > be more than happy to help!!

> > > >

> > > > Caro

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Caro

> > > Asthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06

> > > Mississippi

> > >

> > > ---------------------------------

> > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with

Yahoo!

> > Search.

> > >

> >

>

Zena,

The most dreaded words from a doc are, "now, this may cramp a little!"

Hugs, Joyce D.> > > >> > > > Hi all,> > > >> > > > Well, I am back home yesterday from my lung biopsy. Diagnosis:> > > > UIP. I have had the worst week!! I will definitely be one of the> > > > ones who had the horrible lung biopsy experience!! They had me on> > > a> > > > morphine pump and I started getting a migraine Monday night at> > > 10P.> > > > They came in and gave me a Toradol injection. I have not had a> > > > migraine in over a year. By Tuesday evening the migraine was> > > totally> > > > unbearable, plus with the chest tube in, I could barely move and> > > > every time I coughed I felt like I was being stabbed in the> > side!!> > > > Around midnight Tuesday, they gave me another Toradol injection> > > > (which was my third cuz they gave me one at 6P). They had told me> > > > you could hit the morphine pump every 10 minutes, if needed, so I> > > did> > > > cuz I could not even bear the light in my eyes. I was lying on> > the> > > > bed with a cold compress on my eyes. Then the nausea hit. They> > > gave> > > > me Zofran and it was minimal help. An hour later, still nothing --> >> > > > still nauseous. I threw up so many times it was unreal. It was> > > like> > > > 20 times within 30 minutes. Nothing but blood. So I panicked,> > > which> > > > only made it worse. I tried to cry and then I couldn't breathe at> > > > all. (I was on oxygen the whole time I was in there. Oh, and> > > > speaking of, does oxygen normally burn and make your nose bleed a> > > > lot?) Anyhoo -- They gave me yet another injection of Toradol and> > > an> > > > injection of Phenergan in my thigh and I don't remember much> > after> > > > that until waking up at 6 a.m. the next morning. At least I> > > FINALLY> > > > went to sleep. Take note, NEVER GO TO A HOSPITAL IF YOU WANT TO> > > GET> > > > SOME REST!!! LOL!!! My BP dropped to 89/40 and my temp went up to> > > > 99.9. I am one of those weird people whose normal temp is 95 to> > > 96,> > > > so when mine is 99, it is like a normal person's temp being 101> > to> > > > 102. I was burning up!! At 6 a.m. they came in with yet ANOTHER> > > > shot of Toradol, my Nexium, Celexa, Rhinocort Aqua (which made me> > > > cough even more), Singulair, and Advair Diskus. I am thinking,> > ok,> > > > now I can sleep some more. Oh, how was I wrong!! Here comes> > > > Respiratory with this Air Lite thingy that I have to breathe into> > > 10> > > > times and try to make it hit 1000 which would be 1 liter of> > > oxygen.> > > > I hit 1000 two times, the rest of the time it was under 500. They> > > > sent that home with me and told me to do 10 reps every 2 hours to> > > > prevent pneumonia. They sent me home with Lorcet Plus and so far> > > > since being home yesterday at 3PM, I have only taken 2, which I> > > think> > > > is pretty darn good!! However, I weighed this morning and scales> > > say> > > > I actually GAINED 6 pounds this week!! I hardly ate anything> > while> > > I> > > > was in the hospital and what I did eat, came right back up. So, I> > > am> > > > thinking the meds are making me gain weight. The only new med I> > > got> > > > since being home was Lorcet Plus, so hopefully I will not need> > that> > > > long cuz I tried so hard to lose 20 pounds last year and so far I> > > > have kept it off until this week. I am only 4'11" and stayed from> > > > 128 to 132 all through the Holidays (which I thought was great).> > > Got> > > > up this morning at nearly 138 and totally freaked out!!! That is> > > > nearly 10 pounds from my norm. Well, I am back home in my> > > territory> > > > now, so I am going to get this weight back off. I bought nothing> > > but> > > > healthy foods before I went to surgery, so that should help a> > lot.> > > I> > > > live in an apartment on the second floor, so I tried to get> > > > everything I could before I left for surgery, so as to not have> > to> > > > carry anything up the stairs for at least a couple of weeks.> > > >> > > > I am feeling much better today, though, and have a return> > > appointment> > > > for recheck with the surgeon on February 5 and have my regularly> > > > scheduled appointment with my pulmo doc on January 31. Guess he> > > will> > > > tell me from there where we can go next.> > > >> > > > I actually feel good overall now, except if I have to take a> > really> > > > deep breath, i.e, when I sigh, yawn, laugh, or cough, it still> > > feels> > > > like someone is stabbing me in the right side. Other than that, I> > > > guess I am on the road to recovery.> > > >> > > > Oh yea, what really flipped me out through all this was the first> > > day> > > > my surgeon made his rounds, he came by and said "the path report> > > from> > > > that right lung was really bad." And that was it!! He turned> > > around> > > > and walked out. My mom, bless her heart, stayed with me the whole> > > > time and I would not have made it without her. She tried to catch> > > > him down the hall to get more info, but he was out of sight.> > > >> > > > I caught him the next morning, though, and had him explain> > further> > > > and that is when he said the diagnosis was UIP.> > > >> > > > There was one other incident that happened while I was there. One> > > of> > > > the nurses came in to give me my meds for the day and she dropped> > > my> > > > Singulair on the floor, turned out and picked it up and said, Oh,> > > > well, we can wipe it off. Put it in the cup and gave it to me.> > > Can> > > > you believe it? A hospital, no less?? LOL!!!> > > >> > > > Well, sorry to be so long, but I really needed to vent!!! Thank> > > you> > > > all so much for the support. All of your information before this> > > > really helped me a lot in getting through it. I am so glad it is> > > > over. Now just to try and move on through the rest of the process> > > of> > > > this horrible disease. Having you all is making it so much> > easier!!> > > >> > > > Thank you all for being there and if I can do anything for anyone> > > > having this procedure from my experience, please let me know. I> > > will> > > > be more than happy to help!!> > > >> > > > Caro> > > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > Caro> > > Asthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06> > > Mississippi> > >> > > ---------------------------------> > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo!> > Search.> > >> >>

I've been looking for a card someone sent me with 'what docs say' and 'what they really mean'! As soon as I find it, i'll be typing it out > > > > >> > > > > Hi all,> > > > >> > > > > Well, I am back home yesterday from my lung biopsy. Diagnosis:> > > > > UIP. I have had the worst week!! I will definitely be one of the> > > > > ones who had the horrible lung biopsy experience!! They had me> on> > > > a> > > > > morphine pump and I started getting a migraine Monday night at> > > > 10P.> > > > > They came in and gave me a Toradol injection. I have not had a> > > > > migraine in over a year. By Tuesday evening the migraine was> > > > totally> > > > > unbearable, plus with the chest tube in, I could barely move and> > > > > every time I coughed I felt like I was being stabbed in the> > > side!!> > > > > Around midnight Tuesday, they gave me another Toradol injection> > > > > (which was my third cuz they gave me one at 6P). They had told> me> > > > > you could hit the morphine pump every 10 minutes, if needed, so> I> > > > did> > > > > cuz I could not even bear the light in my eyes. I was lying on> > > the> > > > > bed with a cold compress on my eyes. Then the nausea hit. They> > > > gave> > > > > me Zofran and it was minimal help. An hour later, still nothing> --> > >> > > > > still nauseous. I threw up so many times it was unreal. It was> > > > like> > > > > 20 times within 30 minutes. Nothing but blood. So I panicked,> > > > which> > > > > only made it worse. I tried to cry and then I couldn't breathe> at> > > > > all. (I was on oxygen the whole time I was in there. Oh, and> > > > > speaking of, does oxygen normally burn and make your nose bleed> a> > > > > lot?) Anyhoo -- They gave me yet another injection of Toradol> and> > > > an> > > > > injection of Phenergan in my thigh and I don't remember much> > > after> > > > > that until waking up at 6 a.m. the next morning. At least I> > > > FINALLY> > > > > went to sleep. Take note, NEVER GO TO A HOSPITAL IF YOU WANT TO> > > > GET> > > > > SOME REST!!! LOL!!! My BP dropped to 89/40 and my temp went up> to> > > > > 99.9. I am one of those weird people whose normal temp is 95 to> > > > 96,> > > > > so when mine is 99, it is like a normal person's temp being 101> > > to> > > > > 102. I was burning up!! At 6 a.m. they came in with yet ANOTHER> > > > > shot of Toradol, my Nexium, Celexa, Rhinocort Aqua (which made> me> > > > > cough even more), Singulair, and Advair Diskus. I am thinking,> > > ok,> > > > > now I can sleep some more. Oh, how was I wrong!! Here comes> > > > > Respiratory with this Air Lite thingy that I have to breathe> into> > > > 10> > > > > times and try to make it hit 1000 which would be 1 liter of> > > > oxygen.> > > > > I hit 1000 two times, the rest of the time it was under 500.> They> > > > > sent that home with me and told me to do 10 reps every 2 hours> to> > > > > prevent pneumonia. They sent me home with Lorcet Plus and so far> > > > > since being home yesterday at 3PM, I have only taken 2, which I> > > > think> > > > > is pretty darn good!! However, I weighed this morning and scales> > > > say> > > > > I actually GAINED 6 pounds this week!! I hardly ate anything> > > while> > > > I> > > > > was in the hospital and what I did eat, came right back up. So,> I> > > > am> > > > > thinking the meds are making me gain weight. The only new med I> > > > got> > > > > since being home was Lorcet Plus, so hopefully I will not need> > > that> > > > > long cuz I tried so hard to lose 20 pounds last year and so far> I> > > > > have kept it off until this week. I am only 4'11" and stayed> from> > > > > 128 to 132 all through the Holidays (which I thought was great).> > > > Got> > > > > up this morning at nearly 138 and totally freaked out!!! That is> > > > > nearly 10 pounds from my norm. Well, I am back home in my> > > > territory> > > > > now, so I am going to get this weight back off. I bought nothing> > > > but> > > > > healthy foods before I went to surgery, so that should help a> > > lot.> > > > I> > > > > live in an apartment on the second floor, so I tried to get> > > > > everything I could before I left for surgery, so as to not have> > > to> > > > > carry anything up the stairs for at least a couple of weeks.> > > > >> > > > > I am feeling much better today, though, and have a return> > > > appointment> > > > > for recheck with the surgeon on February 5 and have my regularly> > > > > scheduled appointment with my pulmo doc on January 31. Guess he> > > > will> > > > > tell me from there where we can go next.> > > > >> > > > > I actually feel good overall now, except if I have to take a> > > really> > > > > deep breath, i.e, when I sigh, yawn, laugh, or cough, it still> > > > feels> > > > > like someone is stabbing me in the right side. Other than that,> I> > > > > guess I am on the road to recovery.> > > > >> > > > > Oh yea, what really flipped me out through all this was the> first> > > > day> > > > > my surgeon made his rounds, he came by and said "the path report> > > > from> > > > > that right lung was really bad." And that was it!! He turned> > > > around> > > > > and walked out. My mom, bless her heart, stayed with me the> whole> > > > > time and I would not have made it without her. She tried to> catch> > > > > him down the hall to get more info, but he was out of sight.> > > > >> > > > > I caught him the next morning, though, and had him explain> > > further> > > > > and that is when he said the diagnosis was UIP.> > > > >> > > > > There was one other incident that happened while I was there.> One> > > > of> > > > > the nurses came in to give me my meds for the day and she> dropped> > > > my> > > > > Singulair on the floor, turned out and picked it up and said,> Oh,> > > > > well, we can wipe it off. Put it in the cup and gave it to me.> > > > Can> > > > > you believe it? A hospital, no less?? LOL!!!> > > > >> > > > > Well, sorry to be so long, but I really needed to vent!!! Thank> > > > you> > > > > all so much for the support. All of your information before this> > > > > really helped me a lot in getting through it. I am so glad it is> > > > > over. Now just to try and move on through the rest of the> process> > > > of> > > > > this horrible disease. Having you all is making it so much> > > easier!!> > > > >> > > > > Thank you all for being there and if I can do anything for> anyone> > > > > having this procedure from my experience, please let me know. I> > > > will> > > > > be more than happy to help!!> > > > >> > > > > Caro> > > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > > Caro> > > > Asthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06> > > > Mississippi> > > >> > > > ---------------------------------> > > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo!> > > Search.> > > >> > >> >>