RemedySpot.com

Re: More Beginning Questions:p

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi. I'm a runner too - anything from 5k to full marathon. Half marathons are my favorite though. Run several of them a year.

When I first started scd I'd been in a year long flare; was still running, but couldn't do any decent distances. Anyway. After I started scd I dropped 15 lbs, which made it hard to run and still function the rest of the day. Just didn't have the strength or energy or brain power. I was eating every 2 hours, and was just weak. Eventually I gained 8 lbs back (the rest was left over from my last round of steroids, so I was happy it was gone), and my energy increased and I was able to start building back miles. It was trial and error as far as what to eat. I used to have to eat applesauce or mashed squash or something 1/2 hour before a run to have energy to get through it. And I ate all. the. time. Those first 4-5 months. Every 1-1/2 to 2 hours at least. If I was running over 8 miles I had to take a banana with me to eat @ mile 4, and that would help me make it through the rest of the run.

About 9 months after I started scd I ran a half marathon.

After almost 5 years on the diet, I don't need to eat before/during a run unless I'm going 15 miles or something. If I don't eat enough the day before a long run I can tell I need to take a banana with me. But it's not a big deal.

One important thing... I don't know where you live, but if it's hot/humid in the summer you might want to look into Succeed electrolyte caps. Gatorade isn't legal, and I've not come up with a liquid substitute that is palatable. I take a couple Succeed caps with me (wrapped in waxed paper or something) on long runs and down them with some water. Really really helps.

Kathleen

uc - 4/98

scd - 8/03

4). I am a runner, was an avid runner before all this happened actually, and have just begun to start up again. I am wondering if anyone else has been on this diet and been able to sustain physical activities/sports? I have always eaten soo much pasta/bread and now I am wondering if I will be able to get enough in to feed my caloric needs necessary for running? (I am also underweight too, so trying to gain the last few pounds left-currently at 114, from 96 at lowest-I'm 5'7"). I have just been soo exhausted since starting this diet that I cannot imagine trying to run, I am hoping my energy levels will soon get back to normal?Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

Groups related to BTVC-SCD

colitiscrohns

16 common members

(Diseases and Conditions/Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS))

Ulcerative Colitis (UC)/Colitus, Crohn's disease (...

Autism-Mercury

12 common members

(Diseases and Conditions/Autism)

To discuss current issues related to the increasin...

EnzymesandAutism

11 common members

The Enzymes and Autism forum is for the discussion...

Ulcerative_Colitis

8 common members

(Diseases and Conditions/Crohn's and Colitis)

A Place for those who are living with Ulcerative C...

mb12 valtrex

8 common members

This private research group, started by Stan Kurtz...

Recent Activity

New Members

New FilesVisit Your Group

Meditation and

Lovingkindness

A Yahoo! Group

to share and learn.

Yahoo! Health

Early Detection

Know the symptoms

of breast cancer.

Best of Y! Groups

Check it out

and nominate your

group to be featured.

.. Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference. Learn more.

Guest guest

Kathleen,Thanks for your advice, I am so glad to know that there is hope! This has been a major concern about the diet, because I do not want to have to give up running, but I am soo tired and have literlly no energy now to even think about running! I will just have to give it time I guess. That and getting used to eating all the time too:)

I was wondering though about the Succeed tablets, where do you find them? I have been looking all over for something, as I used to drink a lot of replacement fluid/gatorade type recovery and hydration drinks. I would be very interested in trying those out!

I also ate a lot of energy bars..do you have any suggestions for replacing those? I know the Lara Bars are legal, have you had success with those?Thanks for your encouragement and advise, it really does give me hope now!

na

Guest guest

Are all Lara Bars SCD Legal - even bars with cocoa? Thank you.

Son with CD 4 months

SCD 3 months

Re: More Beginning Questions:p

Kathleen,Thanks for your advice, I am so glad to know that there is hope! This has been a major concern about the diet, because I do not want to have to give up running, but I am soo tired and have literlly no energy now to even think about running! I will just have to give it time I guess. That and getting used to eating all the time too:) I was wondering though about the Succeed tablets, where do you find them? I have been looking all over for something, as I used to drink a lot of replacement fluid/gatorade type recovery and hydration drinks. I would be very interested in trying those out!I also ate a lot of energy bars..do you have any suggestions for replacing those? I know the Lara Bars are legal, have you had success with those?Thanks for your encouragement and advise, it really does give me hope now!na

Guest guest

At 10:16 AM 3/22/2008, you wrote:

Are all Lara Bars SCD Legal -

even bars with cocoa? Thank you.

Technically speaking, NO Lara Bars are legal, although some appear to

have legal ingredients. Some people choose to use them.

To be honest, I split and pit Medjool dates. I stuff them with pecans or

cashews or almonds (or nut flour or nut butter if whole nuts are not

tolerated). Sometimes I add some cinnamon or ginger or nutmeg, and

sometimes I add bits of other fruit like Bing cherries that I have dried.

It's just as delicious -- and you KNOW it doesn't have anything illegal

in it. I suppose I ought to write down my proportions -- but the handy

thing about making them one serving at a time is that I can't overdo

it.

Marilyn

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund