RemedySpot.com

Lara Bars -- homemade?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Adina,

Here are the suggestions for making homemade Lara-type bars which came through our group. If you decide to make some, I'm interested. They are no longer on sale at my Thrifty. The kind I gave you (cashew and date) are not available at all right now.

I'm interested in using something else besides dates sometime. Maybe some kind of dried fruit?

However, the 3 T cashews and 1 T dates seem almost okay for me.

Do you think you could make them for $1.25 including your time? How much do you charge for your other goodies?

Louise

p.s. oats are not allowed on my diet

Homemade Lara-Type Bars makes 1 bar

Use the madjool dates and other SCD legal ingredients !

1 Tablespoon dates, pureed

3 Tablespoons dry ingredients (nuts, dried fruits, coconut, oats, etc.)

pit dates and whir in a food processor or mash by hand until they're one sticky mass. this will be the base, the "glue" that will hold it all together. to this base, add about 3 Tablespoons of finely diced dried ingredients - the nuts of your choice (almonds, cashews, pecans, hazlenut, etc.), dried fruit, oats, spices, etc. with your hands mix it all together and form into a tight ball. roll this ball into a rope and then pat it flat into a rectangle. tightly wrap in plastic wrap (the wrapping will help the bar hold it's shape as you further mold it) and apply pressure to the top using a flat surface - a cutting board works well. to shape the sides you can take two knives and apply pressure to opposite ends of the bars. refrigerate wrapped. for larger batches shape into a larger square, chill and cut into desired bar shapes with a very sharp knife.

some tasty combinations: cashew: 1 Tablespoon dates + 3 Tablespoons cashewsalmond coconut: 1 Tablespoon dates +2 Tablespoons almonds + 1 Tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconutalmond spice: 1 Tablespoon dates + 3 Tablespoons almonds + 1/4 teaspoon each: cinnamon & nutmeg + 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger.cranberry coconut: 2 Tablespoons minced dried cranberries, 1 Tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut

karenacameron@...