RemedySpot.com

Re: OT- new med for me :-(

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

, There are probably a ton on this site who can relate what you are going through. I know I can. You were just diagnosed in jan this year? Good for you for starting the scd at the same time. I was going on and off prednisone for the past 4 years since I was diagnosed. It has been a rollarcoaster ride until I started scd in november, and finally have ended the prednisone taper today! Last october when I started my round of prednisone, the doctor also increased my imuran to 2 pills instead of 1 and half. I think that did help me get off the prednisone along with starting the scd diet. It may be something that you want to try. It takes 3-6 months to really get in your system I believe. If you are bad, you may have to do another round of prednisone, or supositories to help before the imuran would be

beneficial. I recommend trying everything but going on prednisone again until a last resort. Not all people respond to imuran in good ways... however, I have found that I have no side effects with it, despite alittle thinner hair...but that could be due to hormones and age too. To tell you the truth I am not sure what is more dangerous prednisone or imuran. I know when I was pregnant, I could take prednisone, but my gi wouldn't let me breastfeed or take imuran knowing I could get pregnant again....could be because prednisone has been around for longer than the imuran and they are still learning the effects? I have read here that many have gotten off imuran too. My personal plan is to see if I can go a year on the imuran/asacol/ scd without a bad flare, and then after my colonoscopy next year talk to the doctor about weaning off of that drug. You may

want to look into acupunture or chiropractic methods which many say do wonders. Depending on how bad your uc is...there are enemas and supositories that you may want to try at night before the imuran, or upping your dose of asacol. Really sticking to the early stages of scd when you are having trouble. excersise and rest. Good luck. Theres so much investigating in the beginning. It can be overwhelming i think. sandy uc since 2004 scd since november 2007 Prednisone free! Hoping to keep it that way! wheath1013 wrote: Well, after not having been very sucessful with my prednisone taper for the last 2 months, I went to see my GI doc today. We are going to add Imuran to the mix to get me off the prednisone because according to him its not as bad for you as the pred-- hmmm. Wonder what I will have to take to get off the Imuran? Its depressing seeing your doc and talking surgery to remove your colon(even though I know that may never happen).I'm still hopeful and hopefully healing. I know that SCD helps all of this immensely, my symptoms cut drastically being on SCD even pre diagnosis and pre meds. I wonder how bad I would be with out.I know many here see naturopaths, any suggestions to finding one, I think I need to see what my alternatives are.

So thanks to all for letting me vent. Any words of wisdom on Imuran would be appreciated.UC 1/08SCD 12/07

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

Guest guest

Imuran is NOTHING like Prednisone; I've taken them both separately and together. Before SCD, I had hoped that would be my life saver, but it didn't work on me. After 5 different med combos my doc had me on a Prednisone taper, Imuran and Pentasa. When she decided that this combo wasn't working either and I'd have to go on Humira or Remicaid I decided those weren't options for me since I'd have to shell out 20% of the cost of the injection and would have to get a 2nd job to swing it. So, I started SCD and stopped my meds since the doc said they weren't doing anything and haven't had to go back on meds. I know not everyone can do that and I was really lucky I didn't have an adverse reaction to taking myself off the meds. (Last time I did that, I was in the hospital for 7 days.) I had decided if I started having problems, I would go back to the doc, but since I haven't, I haven't been back to see her. I credit getting off the

meds with such ease to both SCD and the fact that I had only been having Crohn's symptoms for a year. You can go to this website and search for Naturopathec Doctors (ND's) in your area http://www.naturopathic.org/. I live right outside of BR, LA and found the 1 licensed ND I already knew about but charges $500 for the first visit. I'm waiting on my income tax check to go see her. If you are going to vent, this sure is the place to do it!!!!!! Misty Kimble , LACD SCD - Jan 5 08wheath1013 wrote: Well, after not having been very sucessful with my prednisone taper for the last 2 months, I went to see my GI doc today. We are going to add Imuran to the mix to get me off the prednisone because according to him its not as bad for you as the pred-- hmmm. Wonder what I will have to take to get off the Imuran? Its depressing seeing your doc and talking surgery to remove your colon(even though I know that may never happen).I'm still hopeful and hopefully healing. I know that SCD helps all of this immensely, my symptoms cut drastically being on SCD even pre diagnosis and pre meds. I wonder how bad I would be with out.I know many here see naturopaths, any suggestions to finding one, I think I need to see what my alternatives are. So thanks to all for letting me vent. Any

words of wisdom on Imuran would be appreciated.UC 1/08SCD 12/07

You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.