RemedySpot.com

How Long Will This Be Going On?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sam asked on Pecanbread how long can she continue with SCD for her child as after ONE MONTH she is finding it difficult. If you are a newcomer you may be wondering too. Although many can get back to the Standard American Diet it's no irony that its acronym is SAD. Celiac disease in adults may not be cured by SCD but can be managed well. Children up to age five have better prospectsHere is what I told Sam:>> i'm feeling a little discouraged like this might not work for us and I really need to hear some > positive things that have happened because of this diet. i feel like I'm putting my kids > through something they might not need. we have food intolerances and I fear because we're > on such a restrictive diet we could become sensitive to other things.> thanks> sam> mom to aj-celiac, leaky gut> scd 1/1/08>Sam,You have only been on the diet for a short time. I will share that although many of my own food intolerance continues to wax and wane, SCD has had many visible benefits for me.It has banished a previous lifetime of extreme bi-polar episodes for these past eight years, controlled my weight when I had a major obesity and extreme weight fluctuations before. I have many more environmental, chemical and electrical sensitivities than most on SCD lists and without SCD I doubt I could venture outside.As for what the kids are going through. the GFCF diet may allow convenience foods of their own designation but it is restrictive in regard to contact with utensils and materials.SCD tends to curb starch addiction. I have been quite compliant after so many years but decided to try taking  a few brown rice cakes, buttered (as otherwise they are the world's most tasteless food). I immediately had unstoppable cravings to consume a whole package and crossed that off my wish list.Conventional food seems to lack the richness and purity of what I have learned to prepare on SCD. I have a spontaneous self imposed rule about food prep. Aside from basics like chicken soup and yogurt I do not make recipes with lots of ingredients or complicated advanced steps.And my background is food obsession which once catapulted me to 219 pounds. I also used to write restaurants reviews.SCD has passed every personal test I could imagine and more than met the challenge of having to follow a unique eating plan.Carol F.Celiac, SCD 8 years,MCS, Latex Allergyhttp://www.celiac.com/authors/143/Carol-Frileghhttp://www.talkaboutcuringautism.org/gfcf-diet/sc-diet.htm