RemedySpot.com

Re:labeling

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Jodi, I am country raised so here would be my thoughts. This could be a play on words -as for grass fed, my first thought is OK they are fed on grass, then it occurs to me, hey that cow could be in a pen but being fed grass. Have you ever been through the countyside where you see the big round bales of grass? However it could mean that they roam in the pasture and feed freely on grass. Same for pasture fed, that makes more sense as I would assume that the cows are in the pasture and are eating only grasses not grains and other additives. The bean counters and other smart boys who play with words know exactly what they are doing - it's meant to confuse us, it could be either or. ly I would not agonize over it if the label is saying no hormones or antibiotics. Ginger Nash

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Jodi, I am country raised so here would be my thoughts. This could be a play on words -as for grass fed, my first thought is OK they are fed on grass, then it occurs to me, hey that cow could be in a pen but being fed grass. Have you ever been through the countyside where you see the big round bales of grass? However it could mean that they roam in the pasture and feed freely on grass. Same for pasture fed, that makes more sense as I would assume that the cows are in the pasture and are eating only grasses not grains and other additives. The bean counters and other smart boys who play with words know exactly what they are doing - it's meant to confuse us, it could be either or. ly I would not agonize over it if the label is saying no hormones or antibiotics. I think you have to agonize over it, Ginger, to some extent. At least if you want to get what you thinkyou are paying for. Here's an account of what "naturally raised" will now mean on labels:http://www.ethicurean.com/2008/02/29/natural_comment/Last fall, USDA’s Agricultural Marketing Service proposed a new standard for producers who want to put a "naturally raised" label on their products. Their proposal: livestock must have been raised without growth promotants, antibiotics, or mammalian or avian byproducts in their feed.Grass? Nah.Access to the outdoors? Nah.Natural breeding instead of artificial insemination? Nah.Treating animals humanely? Nah.Making sure that the operation doesn’t spew toxic gases into the air or leach manure into rivers, streams, or groundwater? Nah.If the USDA’s proposal goes through, consumers looking to do the right thing at the grocery store will see a label that tells them the meat they’re buying has been raised naturally. But in the words of Inigo Montoya from the Princess Bride, "I do not think that means what you think it means." A weak "natural" label will also undermine other more meaningful labels like organic and grassfed by making consumers think that they’re buying something comparable when they buy "naturally raised." Wouldn’t a "no hormones or antibiotics used" label be more clear and more honest?Mara