RemedySpot.com

Re: TV and Internet

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I think whatever gives one pleasure is great. I believe we're

especially lucky as we deal with this disease, as are those dealing

with other diseases or just old age, that we are in an age of so many

choices on tv, dvr's, internet, and communities of friends online.

I know one thing that has made the thought of the worsening of the

disease tolerable for me is that I picture the time of lost mobility as

one involving lots of tv and internet. Now for me the internet is more

important. But, as much as I'd like to imagine always being able to get

out and do anything I want, spending most of the day online and in

front of the tv isn't so bad when it comes down to it. Throw in some

music, radio. While our contact with our friends and family is

important to us, I know that when they are busy, I can always find

friends and family right here.

I feel for those who haven't discovered the magic of the internet

world. To me its a means to always stay connected to the world and to

people. The contact we have here is every bit as real in terms of

social interaction as any other. In fact, in many ways its more real.

We share more of ourselves and we communicate from our hearts and

souls. I played bridge for an hour or so this afternoon-online. Why not

in real? Well, I stopped at the senior center near me earlier to pick

up a new schedule of activities. I heard more coughing and saw more

people with colds and maybe the flu. I can't catch either here. I'll go

there when flu season is past.

I played a silly game of rocks, paper, scissors online the other night.

Don't get your hand or wrist slapped online. I chat with friends from

around the world. I come here for my dearest online friends where we

talk about anything and understand each other like few really do. So,

basically I know that if I can't get out and am stuck on the sofa, I'm

not ever going to be isolated or alone.

As for tv, I don't have any shows that I just " have to " watch. But I'm

glad many of you do, whether its a regular show or reality. It's

entertainment. It's a whole lot easier than going to a movie, cheaper

than lots of outside choices. For many men its a sports team they

follow religiously. It's all great.

I intend to follow my idol, Gwynne, and get out some amount as long as

humanly possible, see friends, remain connected. But, I know the time

comes that we can do less of that. I think of the time with three tv

stations and no internet and imagine how isolated that must have made

people feel at some times in life. I realize that losing the ability to

do things I want will be tough, but I'll never have to go through that

feeling of total isolation.

So, while many talk about how bad it is to get hooked on tv shows or

how horrible the internet is, I think about how lucky we are that we

have so many alternative ways of entertaining ourselves and enriching

our lives. Getting out and being active and going places is enjoyable

and fun. But, you know what? Being right here in front of my tv and

computer is pretty nice too. We're lucky for the age of communications

in which we live.

While I'll agree that the internet is an invaluable lifeline for those who are housebound, here's a case where it isn't quite such a good thing. A very good friend of mine suffers from agoraphobia. Because of the internet she has no reason to attempt to go out. I feel that before she was online she would make more of an effort to go out. I realise that she has good days and bad days, and when she was having a good day she would make the effort to do the shopping etc. Now with the internet she has no reason to leave her flat and she has gone backwards in her therapy. It's a shame.

Love Ze xx>> I think whatever gives one pleasure is great. I believe we're > especially lucky as we deal with this disease, as are those dealing > with other diseases or just old age, that we are in an age of so many > choices on tv, dvr's, internet, and communities of friends online. > > I know one thing that has made the thought of the worsening of the > disease tolerable for me is that I picture the time of lost mobility as > one involving lots of tv and internet. Now for me the internet is more > important. But, as much as I'd like to imagine always being able to get > out and do anything I want, spending most of the day online and in > front of the tv isn't so bad when it comes down to it. Throw in some > music, radio. While our contact with our friends and family is > important to us, I know that when they are busy, I can always find > friends and family right here. > > I feel for those who haven't discovered the magic of the internet > world. To me its a means to always stay connected to the world and to > people. The contact we have here is every bit as real in terms of > social interaction as any other. In fact, in many ways its more real. > We share more of ourselves and we communicate from our hearts and > souls. I played bridge for an hour or so this afternoon-online. Why not > in real? Well, I stopped at the senior center near me earlier to pick > up a new schedule of activities. I heard more coughing and saw more > people with colds and maybe the flu. I can't catch either here. I'll go > there when flu season is past. > > I played a silly game of rocks, paper, scissors online the other night. > Don't get your hand or wrist slapped online. I chat with friends from > around the world. I come here for my dearest online friends where we > talk about anything and understand each other like few really do. So, > basically I know that if I can't get out and am stuck on the sofa, I'm > not ever going to be isolated or alone.> > As for tv, I don't have any shows that I just "have to" watch. But I'm > glad many of you do, whether its a regular show or reality. It's > entertainment. It's a whole lot easier than going to a movie, cheaper > than lots of outside choices. For many men its a sports team they > follow religiously. It's all great. > > I intend to follow my idol, Gwynne, and get out some amount as long as > humanly possible, see friends, remain connected. But, I know the time > comes that we can do less of that. I think of the time with three tv > stations and no internet and imagine how isolated that must have made > people feel at some times in life. I realize that losing the ability to > do things I want will be tough, but I'll never have to go through that > feeling of total isolation. > > So, while many talk about how bad it is to get hooked on tv shows or > how horrible the internet is, I think about how lucky we are that we > have so many alternative ways of entertaining ourselves and enriching > our lives. Getting out and being active and going places is enjoyable > and fun. But, you know what? Being right here in front of my tv and > computer is pretty nice too. We're lucky for the age of communications > in which we live.>

If its made her less happy, then it is a shame. I can see where it

would become a means to avoid dealing with things. If not for what

I've learned the past couple of years, I might have stopped going out

two years ago. But that wasn't the internet, it was for me the safety

of home. Now, on the other hand, lets be careful we not judge what is

best for anyone else on our own standards. I can't say whether

forcing herself to get out helped her or not. Forcing myself to get

out does help me. In fact, I'm determined enough that while i look at

a new vehicle one of the prime considerations is that it be capable

of having an automatic lift for a scooter or motorized chair.

In her case, I'm sure the internet is a plus and minus. Minus is

provides means of communicating and doing things without getting out.

Plus is provides means of communicating and doing things without

getting out. Oh my, they were the same. Ah, all things in moderation

and at the right time.

> >

> > I think whatever gives one pleasure is great. I believe we're

> > especially lucky as we deal with this disease, as are those

dealing

> > with other diseases or just old age, that we are in an age of so

many

> > choices on tv, dvr's, internet, and communities of friends online.

> >

> > I know one thing that has made the thought of the worsening of the

> > disease tolerable for me is that I picture the time of lost

mobility

> as

> > one involving lots of tv and internet. Now for me the internet is

more

> > important. But, as much as I'd like to imagine always being able

to

> get

> > out and do anything I want, spending most of the day online and in

> > front of the tv isn't so bad when it comes down to it. Throw in

some

> > music, radio. While our contact with our friends and family is

> > important to us, I know that when they are busy, I can always find

> > friends and family right here.

> >

> > I feel for those who haven't discovered the magic of the internet

> > world. To me its a means to always stay connected to the world

and to

> > people. The contact we have here is every bit as real in terms of

> > social interaction as any other. In fact, in many ways its more

real.

> > We share more of ourselves and we communicate from our hearts and

> > souls. I played bridge for an hour or so this afternoon-online.

Why

> not

> > in real? Well, I stopped at the senior center near me earlier to

pick

> > up a new schedule of activities. I heard more coughing and saw

more

> > people with colds and maybe the flu. I can't catch either here.

I'll

> go

> > there when flu season is past.

> >

> > I played a silly game of rocks, paper, scissors online the other

> night.

> > Don't get your hand or wrist slapped online. I chat with friends

from

> > around the world. I come here for my dearest online friends where

we

> > talk about anything and understand each other like few really do.

So,

> > basically I know that if I can't get out and am stuck on the

sofa, I'm

> > not ever going to be isolated or alone.

> >

> > As for tv, I don't have any shows that I just " have to " watch.

But I'm

> > glad many of you do, whether its a regular show or reality. It's

> > entertainment. It's a whole lot easier than going to a movie,

cheaper

> > than lots of outside choices. For many men its a sports team they

> > follow religiously. It's all great.

> >

> > I intend to follow my idol, Gwynne, and get out some amount as

long as

> > humanly possible, see friends, remain connected. But, I know the

time

> > comes that we can do less of that. I think of the time with three

tv

> > stations and no internet and imagine how isolated that must have

made

> > people feel at some times in life. I realize that losing the

ability

> to

> > do things I want will be tough, but I'll never have to go through

that

> > feeling of total isolation.

> >

> > So, while many talk about how bad it is to get hooked on tv shows

or

> > how horrible the internet is, I think about how lucky we are that

we

> > have so many alternative ways of entertaining ourselves and

enriching

> > our lives. Getting out and being active and going places is

enjoyable

> > and fun. But, you know what? Being right here in front of my tv

and

> > computer is pretty nice too. We're lucky for the age of

communications

> > in which we live.

> >

>

With her, and remember that I know her very well, I've known her since we were 5, she lost a thriving career, that she knows that technology has already overtaken her so she'd have to have quite a lot of training in order to go back at a lower level than when she left. She was devastated when she was unable to get to her fathers funeral. I know that she really wants to get back to what she considers a normal life where she can go through a day without panic attacks that are so bad she is physically sick. She is also emetophobic! She was in a better place emotionaly when she did go out. Even if she only managed a walk up the road for a packet of fags, the lift she got from that was hugely noticable. She will agree with me that the internet is not helping as it makes things too easy for her.

Love Ze xx> > >> > > I think whatever gives one pleasure is great. I believe we're> > > especially lucky as we deal with this disease, as are those > dealing> > > with other diseases or just old age, that we are in an age of so > many> > > choices on tv, dvr's, internet, and communities of friends online.> > >> > > I know one thing that has made the thought of the worsening of the> > > disease tolerable for me is that I picture the time of lost > mobility> > as> > > one involving lots of tv and internet. Now for me the internet is > more> > > important. But, as much as I'd like to imagine always being able > to> > get> > > out and do anything I want, spending most of the day online and in> > > front of the tv isn't so bad when it comes down to it. Throw in > some> > > music, radio. While our contact with our friends and family is> > > important to us, I know that when they are busy, I can always find> > > friends and family right here.> > >> > > I feel for those who haven't discovered the magic of the internet> > > world. To me its a means to always stay connected to the world > and to> > > people. The contact we have here is every bit as real in terms of> > > social interaction as any other. In fact, in many ways its more > real.> > > We share more of ourselves and we communicate from our hearts and> > > souls. I played bridge for an hour or so this afternoon-online. > Why> > not> > > in real? Well, I stopped at the senior center near me earlier to > pick> > > up a new schedule of activities. I heard more coughing and saw > more> > > people with colds and maybe the flu. I can't catch either here. > I'll> > go> > > there when flu season is past.> > >> > > I played a silly game of rocks, paper, scissors online the other> > night.> > > Don't get your hand or wrist slapped online. I chat with friends > from> > > around the world. I come here for my dearest online friends where > we> > > talk about anything and understand each other like few really do. > So,> > > basically I know that if I can't get out and am stuck on the > sofa, I'm> > > not ever going to be isolated or alone.> > >> > > As for tv, I don't have any shows that I just "have to" watch. > But I'm> > > glad many of you do, whether its a regular show or reality. It's> > > entertainment. It's a whole lot easier than going to a movie, > cheaper> > > than lots of outside choices. For many men its a sports team they> > > follow religiously. It's all great.> > >> > > I intend to follow my idol, Gwynne, and get out some amount as > long as> > > humanly possible, see friends, remain connected. But, I know the > time> > > comes that we can do less of that. I think of the time with three > tv> > > stations and no internet and imagine how isolated that must have > made> > > people feel at some times in life. I realize that losing the > ability> > to> > > do things I want will be tough, but I'll never have to go through > that> > > feeling of total isolation.> > >> > > So, while many talk about how bad it is to get hooked on tv shows > or> > > how horrible the internet is, I think about how lucky we are that > we> > > have so many alternative ways of entertaining ourselves and > enriching> > > our lives. Getting out and being active and going places is > enjoyable> > > and fun. But, you know what? Being right here in front of my tv > and> > > computer is pretty nice too. We're lucky for the age of > communications> > > in which we live.> > >> >>

fags??? hummm you mean smokes?With her, and remember that I know her very well, I've known her since we were 5, she lost a thriving career, that she knows that technology has already overtaken her so she'd have to have quite a lot of training in order to go back at a lower level than when she left. She was devastated when she was unable to get to her fathers funeral. I know that she really wants to get back to what she considers a normal life where she can go through a day without panic attacks that are so bad she is physically sick. She is also emetophobic! She was in a better place emotionaly when she did go out. Even if she only managed a walk up the road for a packet of fags, the lift she got from that was hugely noticable. She will agree with me that the internet is not helping as it makes things too easy for her.Love Ze xx> > >> > > I think whatever gives one pleasure is great. I believe we're> > > especially lucky as we deal with this disease, as are those > dealing> > > with other diseases or just old age, that we are in an age of so > many> > > choices on tv, dvr's, internet, and communities of friends online.> > >> > > I know one thing that has made the thought of the worsening of the> > > disease tolerable for me is that I picture the time of lost > mobility> > as> > > one involving lots of tv and internet. Now for me the internet is > more> > > important. But, as much as I'd like to imagine always being able > to> > get> > > out and do anything I want, spending most of the day online and in> > > front of the tv isn't so bad when it comes down to it. Throw in > some> > > music, radio. While our contact with our friends and family is> > > important to us, I know that when they are busy, I can always find> > > friends and family right here.> > >> > > I feel for those who haven't discovered the magic of the internet> > > world. To me its a means to always stay connected to the world > and to> > > people. The contact we have here is every bit as real in terms of> > > social interaction as any other. In fact, in many ways its more > real.> > > We share more of ourselves and we communicate from our hearts and> > > souls. I played bridge for an hour or so this afternoon-online. > Why> > not> > > in real? Well, I stopped at the senior center near me earlier to > pick> > > up a new schedule of activities. I heard more coughing and saw > more> > > people with colds and maybe the flu. I can't catch either here. > I'll> > go> > > there when flu season is past.> > >> > > I played a silly game of rocks, paper, scissors online the other> > night.> > > Don't get your hand or wrist slapped online. I chat with friends > from> > > around the world. I come here for my dearest online friends where > we> > > talk about anything and understand each other like few really do. > So,> > > basically I know that if I can't get out and am stuck on the > sofa, I'm> > > not ever going to be isolated or alone.> > >> > > As for tv, I don't have any shows that I just "have to" watch. > But I'm> > > glad many of you do, whether its a regular show or reality. It's> > > entertainment. It's a whole lot easier than going to a movie, > cheaper> > > than lots of outside choices. For many men its a sports team they> > > follow religiously. It's all great.> > >> > > I intend to follow my idol, Gwynne, and get out some amount as > long as> > > humanly possible, see friends, remain connected. But, I know the > time> > > comes that we can do less of that. I think of the time with three > tv> > > stations and no internet and imagine how isolated that must have > made> > > people feel at some times in life. I realize that losing the > ability> > to> > > do things I want will be tough, but I'll never have to go through > that> > > feeling of total isolation.> > >> > > So, while many talk about how bad it is to get hooked on tv shows > or> > > how horrible the internet is, I think about how lucky we are that > we> > > have so many alternative ways of entertaining ourselves and > enriching> > > our lives. Getting out and being active and going places is > enjoyable> > > and fun. But, you know what? Being right here in front of my tv > and> > > computer is pretty nice too. We're lucky for the age of > communications> > > in which we live.> > >> >> brett bowserbrett@...

Hahahahahaha ooooooooooopppppppps Yeah, I forgot you used that word for something else!

Now that conjures up a very different picture > > > > >> > > > > I think whatever gives one pleasure is great. I believe we're> > > > > especially lucky as we deal with this disease, as are those> > > dealing> > > > > with other diseases or just old age, that we are in an age of so> > > many> > > > > choices on tv, dvr's, internet, and communities of friends > > online.> > > > >> > > > > I know one thing that has made the thought of the worsening of > > the> > > > > disease tolerable for me is that I picture the time of lost> > > mobility> > > > as> > > > > one involving lots of tv and internet. Now for me the internet > > is> > > more> > > > > important. But, as much as I'd like to imagine always being able> > > to> > > > get> > > > > out and do anything I want, spending most of the day online > > and in> > > > > front of the tv isn't so bad when it comes down to it. Throw in> > > some> > > > > music, radio. While our contact with our friends and family is> > > > > important to us, I know that when they are busy, I can always > > find> > > > > friends and family right here.> > > > >> > > > > I feel for those who haven't discovered the magic of the > > internet> > > > > world. To me its a means to always stay connected to the world> > > and to> > > > > people. The contact we have here is every bit as real in terms > > of> > > > > social interaction as any other. In fact, in many ways its more> > > real.> > > > > We share more of ourselves and we communicate from our hearts > > and> > > > > souls. I played bridge for an hour or so this afternoon-online.> > > Why> > > > not> > > > > in real? Well, I stopped at the senior center near me earlier to> > > pick> > > > > up a new schedule of activities. I heard more coughing and saw> > > more> > > > > people with colds and maybe the flu. I can't catch either here.> > > I'll> > > > go> > > > > there when flu season is past.> > > > >> > > > > I played a silly game of rocks, paper, scissors online the other> > > > night.> > > > > Don't get your hand or wrist slapped online. I chat with friends> > > from> > > > > around the world. I come here for my dearest online friends > > where> > > we> > > > > talk about anything and understand each other like few really > > do.> > > So,> > > > > basically I know that if I can't get out and am stuck on the> > > sofa, I'm> > > > > not ever going to be isolated or alone.> > > > >> > > > > As for tv, I don't have any shows that I just "have to" watch.> > > But I'm> > > > > glad many of you do, whether its a regular show or reality. It's> > > > > entertainment. It's a whole lot easier than going to a movie,> > > cheaper> > > > > than lots of outside choices. For many men its a sports team > > they> > > > > follow religiously. It's all great.> > > > >> > > > > I intend to follow my idol, Gwynne, and get out some amount as> > > long as> > > > > humanly possible, see friends, remain connected. But, I know the> > > time> > > > > comes that we can do less of that. I think of the time with > > three> > > tv> > > > > stations and no internet and imagine how isolated that must have> > > made> > > > > people feel at some times in life. I realize that losing the> > > ability> > > > to> > > > > do things I want will be tough, but I'll never have to go > > through> > > that> > > > > feeling of total isolation.> > > > >> > > > > So, while many talk about how bad it is to get hooked on tv > > shows> > > or> > > > > how horrible the internet is, I think about how lucky we are > > that> > > we> > > > > have so many alternative ways of entertaining ourselves and> > > enriching> > > > > our lives. Getting out and being active and going places is> > > enjoyable> > > > > and fun. But, you know what? Being right here in front of my tv> > > and> > > > > computer is pretty nice too. We're lucky for the age of> > > communications> > > > > in which we live.> > > > >> > > >> > >> >> >> > > > brett bowser> brett@...>

Sounds like the need for a tough counselor with homework assignments.

There was a time I wouldn't have gone out, but I knew I was going to

have to report if I'd done my homework. Guess it goes a long way

back, but I just couldn't get a bad grade. So, I'd get out for no

other reason than that I knew (my counselor) would ask three

days later and, if I didn't, I'd be in trouble. As much as I knew I

needed to, had I not had that structure, I never would have gotten

out.

> > > >

> > > > I think whatever gives one pleasure is great. I believe we're

> > > > especially lucky as we deal with this disease, as are those

> > dealing

> > > > with other diseases or just old age, that we are in an age of

so

> > many

> > > > choices on tv, dvr's, internet, and communities of friends

online.

> > > >

> > > > I know one thing that has made the thought of the worsening

of the

> > > > disease tolerable for me is that I picture the time of lost

> > mobility

> > > as

> > > > one involving lots of tv and internet. Now for me the

internet is

> > more

> > > > important. But, as much as I'd like to imagine always being

able

> > to

> > > get

> > > > out and do anything I want, spending most of the day online

and in

> > > > front of the tv isn't so bad when it comes down to it. Throw

in

> > some

> > > > music, radio. While our contact with our friends and family is

> > > > important to us, I know that when they are busy, I can always

find

> > > > friends and family right here.

> > > >

> > > > I feel for those who haven't discovered the magic of the

internet

> > > > world. To me its a means to always stay connected to the world

> > and to

> > > > people. The contact we have here is every bit as real in

terms of

> > > > social interaction as any other. In fact, in many ways its

more

> > real.

> > > > We share more of ourselves and we communicate from our hearts

and

> > > > souls. I played bridge for an hour or so this afternoon-

online.

> > Why

> > > not

> > > > in real? Well, I stopped at the senior center near me earlier

to

> > pick

> > > > up a new schedule of activities. I heard more coughing and saw

> > more

> > > > people with colds and maybe the flu. I can't catch either

here.

> > I'll

> > > go

> > > > there when flu season is past.

> > > >

> > > > I played a silly game of rocks, paper, scissors online the

other

> > > night.

> > > > Don't get your hand or wrist slapped online. I chat with

friends

> > from

> > > > around the world. I come here for my dearest online friends

where

> > we

> > > > talk about anything and understand each other like few really

do.

> > So,

> > > > basically I know that if I can't get out and am stuck on the

> > sofa, I'm

> > > > not ever going to be isolated or alone.

> > > >

> > > > As for tv, I don't have any shows that I just " have to " watch.

> > But I'm

> > > > glad many of you do, whether its a regular show or reality.

It's

> > > > entertainment. It's a whole lot easier than going to a movie,

> > cheaper

> > > > than lots of outside choices. For many men its a sports team

they

> > > > follow religiously. It's all great.

> > > >

> > > > I intend to follow my idol, Gwynne, and get out some amount as

> > long as

> > > > humanly possible, see friends, remain connected. But, I know

the

> > time

> > > > comes that we can do less of that. I think of the time with

three

> > tv

> > > > stations and no internet and imagine how isolated that must

have

> > made