RemedySpot.com

lung collapse

Rate this topic

Guest guest

To: Carowade,

When mine collapsed the day before Thanksgiving my symptom started

with a strange pain in my chest around 10:30 p.m. after having a

broncoscope at 1 p.m. in which they did the biopsy of the new lung.

The discharge papers didn't have a pain listed as something to call

about so I decided to see if I could go to bed and sleep or not &

slept from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. & awoke without the pain thinking oh I am

fine. However, after I got up and walked around in the house getting

breakfast ready etc. I was feeling extremely short of breath &

finally got my oximeter out. First test it showed I had dropped to

83. I sat down and rested a minute and stood back up after having

walked from the living room to the bathroom in the hall and back to

the living room. I checked the oximeter again and it was 73 so I

called the transplant coordinator immediately. When I arrived at the

E.R. they took me directly back to an exam room and the nurse listed

to my lungs and said there was no air in my left lung at all. The X-

Ray person showed up in the next minute and the X-Ray confirmed that

the lung had collapsed. If you don't have an oximeter I highly

recommend one. I bought mine a year ago on the internet for $250 and

it was worth every penny. Sometimes my O2 level wouldn't be too low

but my heart rate would be way too high which told me I must slow

down and sit and rest. I strongly believe that is why I have

survived all of this.

Judy - Ohio trx 8/07 (Indy)

Blimey Judy, good job you were on the ball! I always thought that a collapsed lung was painful and I'm quite surprised that pain wasn't listed as something to call about.

Take very good care

Love Ze xx>> To: Carowade,> When mine collapsed the day before Thanksgiving my symptom started > with a strange pain in my chest around 10:30 p.m. after having a > broncoscope at 1 p.m. in which they did the biopsy of the new lung. > The discharge papers didn't have a pain listed as something to call > about so I decided to see if I could go to bed and sleep or not & > slept from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. & awoke without the pain thinking oh I am > fine. However, after I got up and walked around in the house getting > breakfast ready etc. I was feeling extremely short of breath & > finally got my oximeter out. First test it showed I had dropped to > 83. I sat down and rested a minute and stood back up after having > walked from the living room to the bathroom in the hall and back to > the living room. I checked the oximeter again and it was 73 so I > called the transplant coordinator immediately. When I arrived at the > E.R. they took me directly back to an exam room and the nurse listed > to my lungs and said there was no air in my left lung at all. The X-> Ray person showed up in the next minute and the X-Ray confirmed that > the lung had collapsed. If you don't have an oximeter I highly > recommend one. I bought mine a year ago on the internet for $250 and > it was worth every penny. Sometimes my O2 level wouldn't be too low > but my heart rate would be way too high which told me I must slow > down and sit and rest. I strongly believe that is why I have > survived all of this.> Judy - Ohio trx 8/07 (Indy)>

Worth saying a million times

Everyone needs an oximeter. I know some pulmonologists discourage,

Fortunately mine understands its value and that I need to use it to

monitor. Can get back on treadmill today for first time since ER on

12/31 and only instructions, make sure I watch oximeter and have

oxygen turned up to whatever it takes. I was just out and nose rather

conjested so not breathing so well with normal pulse cannula on

Helios and only because of oximeter die I know to turn it up to 4 and

stop nd rest. Then when I got to my car switched cannulas to one that

takes exhale and inhale for both nostrils and is better when

conjested, but still needed it high for a while. Had I not had an

oximeter, I would have ended up walking around at 80 or so.

>

> To: Carowade,

> When mine collapsed the day before Thanksgiving my symptom started

> with a strange pain in my chest around 10:30 p.m. after having a

> broncoscope at 1 p.m. in which they did the biopsy of the new

lung.

> The discharge papers didn't have a pain listed as something to call

> about so I decided to see if I could go to bed and sleep or not &

> slept from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. & awoke without the pain thinking oh I

am

> fine. However, after I got up and walked around in the house

getting

> breakfast ready etc. I was feeling extremely short of breath &

> finally got my oximeter out. First test it showed I had dropped to

> 83. I sat down and rested a minute and stood back up after having

> walked from the living room to the bathroom in the hall and back to

> the living room. I checked the oximeter again and it was 73 so I

> called the transplant coordinator immediately. When I arrived at

the

> E.R. they took me directly back to an exam room and the nurse

listed

> to my lungs and said there was no air in my left lung at all. The

X-

> Ray person showed up in the next minute and the X-Ray confirmed

that

> the lung had collapsed. If you don't have an oximeter I highly

> recommend one. I bought mine a year ago on the internet for $250

and

> it was worth every penny. Sometimes my O2 level wouldn't be too

low

> but my heart rate would be way too high which told me I must slow

> down and sit and rest. I strongly believe that is why I have

> survived all of this.

> Judy - Ohio trx 8/07 (Indy)

>

Thank you Judy for all the info. I know it must have pretty hard to relive that. I didn't have any idea of what kind of symptoms to look for. I haven't really had a chance at all to discuss my diagnosis with anyone yet, at least until I get another pulmo, hopefully next week I will be lucky. I didn't have a fever today, and the chest pain is not as bad, so I didn't go to the ER. Maybe for safety's sake, I should have went anyway, but if it returns, I will go tomorrow. Hopefully we will all have a peaceful night and a great weekend!! Carocbayjpw wrote: To: Carowade,When mine collapsed the day before Thanksgiving my symptom started with a strange pain in my chest around 10:30 p.m. after having a broncoscope at 1 p.m. in which they did the biopsy of the new lung. The discharge papers didn't have a pain listed as something to call about so I decided to see if I could go to bed and sleep or not & slept from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. & awoke without the pain thinking oh I am fine. However, after I got up and walked around in the house getting breakfast ready etc. I was feeling extremely short of breath & finally got my oximeter out. First test it showed I had dropped to 83. I sat down and rested a minute and stood back up after having walked from the living room to the bathroom in the hall and back to the living room. I checked the oximeter

again and it was 73 so I called the transplant coordinator immediately. When I arrived at the E.R. they took me directly back to an exam room and the nurse listed to my lungs and said there was no air in my left lung at all. The X-Ray person showed up in the next minute and the X-Ray confirmed that the lung had collapsed. If you don't have an oximeter I highly recommend one. I bought mine a year ago on the internet for $250 and it was worth every penny. Sometimes my O2 level wouldn't be too low but my heart rate would be way too high which told me I must slow down and sit and rest. I strongly believe that is why I have survived all of this.Judy - Ohio trx 8/07 (Indy)CaroAsthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06, UIP 01/08Mississippi

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Caro

Do you have a spirometer and oximeter?

If so what can you hit on the spirometer today versus normal? If its

down significantly or if you can't top 1000 then go.

Is your oxygen saturation down significantly on the oximeter? If so,

go.

If it worsens again, go.

It in doubt, go.

To the statement for everyone to have an oximeter, everyone should be

doing breathing exercises with a spirometer and it will quickly show

you too if you're having problems. Those two items and a thermometer

really give you a lot of very objective measurements.

Then, when you do as I did and call the doctor saying my oxygen

saturation is down about 3-5%, I was able to hit 1750 on the

spirometer, but now only 1000 and I have upper chest pain, he'll say

head straight to ER.

On the other hand if you say my sats are normal, i'm hitting 1500

like always on the spirometer, I had a little fever but tylenol took

care of it, he'll say come to my office tomorrow or I'll send a

prescription for an antibiotic just in case.

> To: Carowade,

> When mine collapsed the day before Thanksgiving my symptom started

> with a strange pain in my chest around 10:30 p.m. after having a

> broncoscope at 1 p.m. in which they did the biopsy of the new lung.

> The discharge papers didn't have a pain listed as something to call

> about so I decided to see if I could go to bed and sleep or not &

> slept from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. & awoke without the pain thinking oh I

am

> fine. However, after I got up and walked around in the house

getting

> breakfast ready etc. I was feeling extremely short of breath &

> finally got my oximeter out. First test it showed I had dropped to

> 83. I sat down and rested a minute and stood back up after having

> walked from the living room to the bathroom in the hall and back to

> the living room. I checked the oximeter again and it was 73 so I

> called the transplant coordinator immediately. When I arrived at

the

> E.R. they took me directly back to an exam room and the nurse

listed

> to my lungs and said there was no air in my left lung at all. The X-

> Ray person showed up in the next minute and the X-Ray confirmed

that

> the lung had collapsed. If you don't have an oximeter I highly

> recommend one. I bought mine a year ago on the internet for $250

and

> it was worth every penny. Sometimes my O2 level wouldn't be too low

> but my heart rate would be way too high which told me I must slow

> down and sit and rest. I strongly believe that is why I have

> survived all of this.

> Judy - Ohio trx 8/07 (Indy)

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Caro

> Asthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06, UIP 01/08

> Mississippi

>

> ---------------------------------

> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo!

Search.

>

I don't have an oximeter, but I do have a spirometer and I can only ever dream of hitting 1500!! I had up to 1200 twice and that's it. Saturday I pretty much kept it at 1000 (that was the day I hit the 1200 twice) but yesterday it was around 800 pretty much all day. I was just getting ready to phone in for an appointment with a family physician so I can get a referral. Not having the chest pain this morning, but so far, I can't really notice it much in the mornings anyway. Seems like it gets worse after I move around for an hour or two and then worsens throughout the day. I am coughing a little more than usual this morning but that could be good, right? Will let everyone know how the appointment goes and hopefully I can see someone this week. I absolutely PROMISE if I get the pain back any today, I will go to the ER, even if just for a chest x-ray. Thanks so much to you all for the

wonderful information and caring I have found from this group.!! CaroBruce Moreland wrote: CaroDo you have a spirometer and oximeter?If so what can you hit on the spirometer today versus normal? If its down significantly or if you can't top 1000 then go.Is your oxygen saturation down significantly on the oximeter? If so, go. If it worsens again, go.It in doubt,

go.To the statement for everyone to have an oximeter, everyone should be doing breathing exercises with a spirometer and it will quickly show you too if you're having problems. Those two items and a thermometer really give you a lot of very objective measurements. Then, when you do as I did and call the doctor saying my oxygen saturation is down about 3-5%, I was able to hit 1750 on the spirometer, but now only 1000 and I have upper chest pain, he'll say head straight to ER.On the other hand if you say my sats are normal, i'm hitting 1500 like always on the spirometer, I had a little fever but tylenol took care of it, he'll say come to my office tomorrow or I'll send a prescription for an antibiotic just in case.> To: Carowade,> When mine collapsed the day before Thanksgiving my symptom started > with a strange pain in my chest around 10:30 p.m. after having a > broncoscope at 1 p.m. in which they did the biopsy of the new lung. > The discharge papers didn't have a pain listed as something to call > about so I

decided to see if I could go to bed and sleep or not & > slept from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. & awoke without the pain thinking oh I am > fine. However, after I got up and walked around in the house getting > breakfast ready etc. I was feeling extremely short of breath & > finally got my oximeter out. First test it showed I had dropped to > 83. I sat down and rested a minute and stood back up after having > walked from the living room to the bathroom in the hall and back to > the living room. I checked the oximeter again and it was 73 so I > called the transplant coordinator immediately. When I arrived at the > E.R. they took me directly back to an exam room and the nurse listed > to my lungs and said there was no air in my left lung at all. The X-> Ray person showed up in the next minute and the X-Ray confirmed that > the lung had collapsed. If you don't have an

oximeter I highly > recommend one. I bought mine a year ago on the internet for $250 and > it was worth every penny. Sometimes my O2 level wouldn't be too low > but my heart rate would be way too high which told me I must slow > down and sit and rest. I strongly believe that is why I have > survived all of this.> Judy - Ohio trx 8/07 (Indy)> > > > > > > Caro> Asthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06, UIP 01/08> Mississippi> > ---------------------------------> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.>CaroAsthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06, UIP 01/08Mississippi

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

1200 twice was great and you will hit 1500. The low numbers are just

a sign of your pneumonia. Please don't wait too long. Drive somewhere

to a pulmonologist. As long as you have to drive anyway head to

Birmingham or wherever they have more. Just don't allow yourself to

continue to suffer and certainly not to deteriorate.

Where do you stand medication wise? On what and how many days left

for this? Do not let there be any lapse.

You must have another more responsible pulmonologist anyway.

> > To: Carowade,

> > When mine collapsed the day before Thanksgiving my symptom

started

> > with a strange pain in my chest around 10:30 p.m. after having a

> > broncoscope at 1 p.m. in which they did the biopsy of the new

lung.

> > The discharge papers didn't have a pain listed as something to

call

> > about so I decided to see if I could go to bed and sleep or not &

> > slept from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. & awoke without the pain thinking oh

I

> am

> > fine. However, after I got up and walked around in the house

> getting

> > breakfast ready etc. I was feeling extremely short of breath &

> > finally got my oximeter out. First test it showed I had dropped

to

> > 83. I sat down and rested a minute and stood back up after having

> > walked from the living room to the bathroom in the hall and back

to

> > the living room. I checked the oximeter again and it was 73 so I

> > called the transplant coordinator immediately. When I arrived at

> the

> > E.R. they took me directly back to an exam room and the nurse

> listed

> > to my lungs and said there was no air in my left lung at all. The

X-

> > Ray person showed up in the next minute and the X-Ray confirmed

> that

> > the lung had collapsed. If you don't have an oximeter I highly

> > recommend one. I bought mine a year ago on the internet for $250

> and

> > it was worth every penny. Sometimes my O2 level wouldn't be too

low

> > but my heart rate would be way too high which told me I must slow

> > down and sit and rest. I strongly believe that is why I have

> > survived all of this.

> > Judy - Ohio trx 8/07 (Indy)

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Caro

> > Asthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06, UIP 01/08

> > Mississippi

> >

> > ---------------------------------

> > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with

Yahoo!

> Search.

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Caro

> Mississippi

>

> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.

Try it now.

>

I finished the prednisone 4 or 5 days ago. Will finish the Levaquin 750 mg tomorrow. I take Advair Diskus 250/50 twice daily, Singulair 10 mg once a day, Celexa 20 mg once a day, Rhinocort Aqua twice daily, Xopenex nebs p.r.n., and albuterol inhaler p.r.n. Really, for the pneumonia, I don't have anything right now except for the 2 days of Levaquin left (1 tonight and 1 tomorrow night). I have called 3 other family practice physicians in the city today and all three said, "oh, yes, we are taking on limited new patients, but we can't get you in any time soon." So that was a dead end so far. I am still trying, though. Hopefully something will turn up before the end of the day. CaroBruce Moreland wrote: 1200 twice was great and you will hit 1500. The low numbers are just a sign of your pneumonia. Please don't wait too long. Drive somewhere to a pulmonologist. As long as you have to drive anyway head to Birmingham or wherever they have more. Just don't allow yourself to continue to suffer and certainly not to deteriorate. Where do you stand medication wise? On what and how many days left for this? Do not let there be any lapse. You must have another more responsible pulmonologist anyway.> > To: Carowade,> > When mine collapsed the day before Thanksgiving my symptom started > > with a strange pain in my chest around 10:30 p.m. after having a > > broncoscope at 1 p.m. in which they did the biopsy of the new lung. > > The discharge papers didn't have a pain listed as something to call > > about so I decided to see if I could go to bed and sleep or not & > > slept from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. & awoke without the pain thinking oh I > am >

> fine. However, after I got up and walked around in the house > getting > > breakfast ready etc. I was feeling extremely short of breath & > > finally got my oximeter out. First test it showed I had dropped to > > 83. I sat down and rested a minute and stood back up after having > > walked from the living room to the bathroom in the hall and back to > > the living room. I checked the oximeter again and it was 73 so I > > called the transplant coordinator immediately. When I arrived at > the > > E.R. they took me directly back to an exam room and the nurse > listed > > to my lungs and said there was no air in my left lung at all. The X-> > Ray person showed up in the next minute and the X-Ray confirmed > that > > the lung had collapsed. If you don't have an oximeter I highly > > recommend one. I bought mine a year ago

on the internet for $250 > and > > it was worth every penny. Sometimes my O2 level wouldn't be too low > > but my heart rate would be way too high which told me I must slow > > down and sit and rest. I strongly believe that is why I have > > survived all of this.> > Judy - Ohio trx 8/07 (Indy)> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Caro> > Asthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06, UIP 01/08> > Mississippi> > > > ---------------------------------> > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! > Search.> >> > > > > > > Caro> Asthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06, UIP 01/08> Mississippi> > --------------------------------->

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.>CaroAsthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06, UIP 01/08Mississippi

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Then do anything....go to ER or whatever no later than tomorrow. Do

not let the Levaquin run out without some more or something else to

follow. Did you get better with the Prednisone and has it worsened

since? If so, may need another round. If not, maybe just more

antibiotics, but until you are well, don't allow a day to lapse

without antibiotics.

> > > To: Carowade,

> > > When mine collapsed the day before Thanksgiving my symptom

> started

> > > with a strange pain in my chest around 10:30 p.m. after having

a

> > > broncoscope at 1 p.m. in which they did the biopsy of the new

> lung.

> > > The discharge papers didn't have a pain listed as something to

> call

> > > about so I decided to see if I could go to bed and sleep or not

&

> > > slept from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. & awoke without the pain thinking

oh

> I

> > am

> > > fine. However, after I got up and walked around in the house

> > getting

> > > breakfast ready etc. I was feeling extremely short of breath &

> > > finally got my oximeter out. First test it showed I had dropped

> to

> > > 83. I sat down and rested a minute and stood back up after

having

> > > walked from the living room to the bathroom in the hall and

back

> to

> > > the living room. I checked the oximeter again and it was 73 so

I

> > > called the transplant coordinator immediately. When I arrived

at

> > the

> > > E.R. they took me directly back to an exam room and the nurse

> > listed

> > > to my lungs and said there was no air in my left lung at all.

The

> X-

> > > Ray person showed up in the next minute and the X-Ray confirmed

> > that

> > > the lung had collapsed. If you don't have an oximeter I highly

> > > recommend one. I bought mine a year ago on the internet for

$250

> > and

> > > it was worth every penny. Sometimes my O2 level wouldn't be too

> low

> > > but my heart rate would be way too high which told me I must

slow

> > > down and sit and rest. I strongly believe that is why I have

> > > survived all of this.

> > > Judy - Ohio trx 8/07 (Indy)

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Caro

> > > Asthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06, UIP

01/08

> > > Mississippi

> > >

> > > ---------------------------------

> > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with

> Yahoo!

> > Search.

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Caro

> > Mississippi

> >

> > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo!

Mobile.

> Try it now.

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Caro

> Mississippi

>

> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.

Try it now.

>

Oh, I saw I never answered as to where in Delta I lived. I lived in

Cleveland and Ruleville. Went to Greenwood regularly. Was CFO of

company with manufacturing facilities there.

And if you don't get to a doctor, I'm heading east and kidnapping you

and taking you across a state border at least to Alabama so you'll

see one.....lol

Greenwood is a very nice town and good people. Unfortunately, I

wouldn't entrust my medical care with a disease like this to anyone

near there.

> > > > To: Carowade,

> > > > When mine collapsed the day before Thanksgiving my symptom

> > started

> > > > with a strange pain in my chest around 10:30 p.m. after

having

> a

> > > > broncoscope at 1 p.m. in which they did the biopsy of the new

> > lung.

> > > > The discharge papers didn't have a pain listed as something

to

> > call

> > > > about so I decided to see if I could go to bed and sleep or

not

> &

> > > > slept from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. & awoke without the pain thinking

> oh

> > I

> > > am

> > > > fine. However, after I got up and walked around in the house

> > > getting

> > > > breakfast ready etc. I was feeling extremely short of breath

&

> > > > finally got my oximeter out. First test it showed I had

dropped

> > to

> > > > 83. I sat down and rested a minute and stood back up after

> having

> > > > walked from the living room to the bathroom in the hall and

> back

> > to

> > > > the living room. I checked the oximeter again and it was 73

so

> I

> > > > called the transplant coordinator immediately. When I arrived

> at

> > > the

> > > > E.R. they took me directly back to an exam room and the nurse

> > > listed

> > > > to my lungs and said there was no air in my left lung at all.

> The

> > X-

> > > > Ray person showed up in the next minute and the X-Ray

confirmed

> > > that

> > > > the lung had collapsed. If you don't have an oximeter I

highly

> > > > recommend one. I bought mine a year ago on the internet for

> $250

> > > and

> > > > it was worth every penny. Sometimes my O2 level wouldn't be

too

> > low

> > > > but my heart rate would be way too high which told me I must

> slow

> > > > down and sit and rest. I strongly believe that is why I have

> > > > survived all of this.

> > > > Judy - Ohio trx 8/07 (Indy)

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Caro

> > > > Asthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06, UIP

> 01/08

> > > > Mississippi

> > > >

> > > > ---------------------------------

> > > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with

> > Yahoo!

> > > Search.

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Caro

> > > Asthma 1976,Osteoarthritis 2002, COPD 02/06, IPF 08/06, UIP

01/08

> > > Mississippi

> > >

> > > ---------------------------------

> > > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo!

> Mobile.

> > Try it now.

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Caro

> > Mississippi

> >

> > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo!

Mobile.

> Try it now.

> >

>