RemedySpot.com

Re: Wee Willie

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I like the Scots version better. I can even hear the poet's voice. Thank you for sharing:) Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 California

Re: May

The nursery rhyme

The original text was written in Scots and is below

Wee Willie Winkie rins through the toun, Up stairs and doon stairs in his nicht-goun, Tirlin' at the window, cryin' at the lock, "Are the weans in their bed, for it's noo ten o'clock?"

"Hey, Willie Winkie, are ye comin' ben? The cat's singin' grey thrums to the sleepin' hen, The dog's spelder'd on the floor, and disna gi'e a cheep, But here's a waukrife laddie that winna fa' asleep!"

Onything but sleep, you rogue! glow'ring like the mune, Rattlin' in an airn jug wi' an airn spune, Rumblin', tumblin' round about, crawin' like a cock, Skirlin' like a kenna-what, wauk'nin' sleepin' fock.

"Hey, Willie Winkie - the wean's in a creel! Wambling aff a bodie's knee like a verra eel, Ruggin' at the cat's lug, and ravelin' a' her thrums Hey, Willie Winkie - see, there he comes!"

Wearit is the mither that has a stoorie wean, A wee stumple stoussie, that canna rin his lane, That has a battle aye wi' sleep before he'll close an ee But a kiss frae aff his rosy lips gies strength anew to me.

English translation

The most common English translation is given below:

Wee Willie Winkie runs through the town, Up stairs and down stairs in his night-gown, Tapping at the window, crying at the lock, "Are the children in their bed, for it's now ten o'clock?"

"Hey, Willie Winkie, are you coming in? The cat is singing purring sounds to the sleeping hen, The dog's spread out on the floor, and doesn't give a cheep, But here's a wakeful little boy who will not fall asleep!"

Anything but sleep, you rogue! glowering like the moon, Rattling in an iron jug with an iron spoon, Rumbling, tumbling round about, crowing like a cock, Shrieking like I don't know what, waking sleeping folk.

"Hey, Willie Winkie - the child's in a creel! Wriggling from everyone's knee like an eel, Tugging at the cat's ear, and confusing all her thrums Hey, Willie Winkie - see, there he comes!"

Weary is the mother who has a dusty child, A small short little child, who can't run on his own, Who always has a battle with sleep before he'll close an eye But a kiss from his rosy lips gives strength anew to me. > > > > >> > > > > judy> > > > > just had a look at your new photographs. they are lovely. all> > > those> > > > > gorgeous

grandkids. i loved the gingerbread tree cake and> > > maile's> > > > > expression.> > > > >> > > > > you are looking very well yourself too.> > > > >> > > > > may> > > > > uip 06.06 glasgow> > > > >> > > >> > >> >> > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________> Looking for last minute shopping deals? > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping>

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Yes, I don't understand the Scots version without taking a few hours

to sort through it (or cheating and looking at translation below) but

it sure sounds nicer.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > judy

> > > > > > just had a look at your new photographs. they are lovely.

all

> > > > those

> > > > > > gorgeous grandkids. i loved the gingerbread tree cake and

> > > > maile's

> > > > > > expression.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > you are looking very well yourself too.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > may

> > > > > > uip 06.06 glasgow

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________

_________ _________ _________

> > Looking for last minute shopping deals?

> > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools. search.yahoo.

com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

> >

>

>

>

>

>

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

> know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

>