RemedySpot.com

View from London

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

According to Cancer Research UK, the prostate cancer mortality rate in the UK is 34 per 100,000, while according to the National Cancer Institute in the U.S. it is 24.4 per 100,000.Can anyone explain the difference, if the NIH is so good? I would expect the UK mortality to be lower.Mike From:

Crozier Data Consultancy To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Saturday, March 3, 2012 7:40 AM Subject: View from London

This is a link to a page on the website of the London Prostate Cancer Centre which seems to give a good summary of the local view. I have also requested further information on their attitude to triple androgen blockage and the use of dutasteride.http://www.prostatecancertreatment.co.uk/treatment-options/hormonal-treatment/ Bob

Guest guest

Historically cancer survival rates in the UK have been rubbish, but recent governments have been doing a lot to turn this around. I certainly wouldn’t deny that American medicine is almost certainly superior to UK medicine, except in terms of equality of access.Bob From: ProstateCancerSupport [mailto:ProstateCancerSupport ] On Behalf Of ClowesSent: 04 March 2012 01:17To: ProstateCancerSupport Subject: Re: View from London According to Cancer Research UK, the prostate cancer mortality rate in the UK is 34 per 100,000, while according to the National Cancer Institute in the U.S. it is 24.4 per 100,000.Can anyone explain the difference, if the NIH is so good? I would expect the UK mortality to be lower.Mike To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Saturday, March 3, 2012 7:40 AMSubject: View from London This is a link to a page on the website of the London Prostate Cancer Centre which seems to give a good summary of the local view. I have also requested further information on their attitude to triple androgen blockage and the use of dutasteride.http://www.prostatecancertreatment.co.uk/treatment-options/hormonal-treatment/ Bob

Guest guest

Why is it that the Africa American death rate is 54.9 in the US? http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@epidemiologysurveilance/documents/document/acspc-032015.pdf As you can see from the chart below rates can vary greatly based on the region. There are many many factors that go into the death rate. If it were simple we at Virginia Prostate Cancer Coalition would be taking action to lower the death rates in the areas where it is high. Genetics, diet, access, culture, etc all may play a part in the difference. It is dangerous to use these figures to show that the US system is better than the British system. The reality is that the death rate is falling in both the US and in Great Britain. From: ProstateCancerSupport [mailto:ProstateCancerSupport ] On Behalf Of ClowesSent: Saturday, March 03, 2012 8:17 PMTo: ProstateCancerSupport Subject: Re: View from London According to Cancer Research UK, the prostate cancer mortality rate in the UK is 34 per 100,000, while according to the National Cancer Institute in the U.S. it is 24.4 per 100,000.Can anyone explain the difference, if the NIH is so good? I would expect the UK mortality to be lower.Mike To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Saturday, March 3, 2012 7:40 AMSubject: View from London This is a link to a page on the website of the London Prostate Cancer Centre which seems to give a good summary of the local view. I have also requested further information on their attitude to triple androgen blockage and the use of dutasteride.http://www.prostatecancertreatment.co.uk/treatment-options/hormonal-treatment/ Bob

Guest guest

It could be that the records are recorded in different ways, age, size of the overall population, maybe men in the UK just don't want to lose there prostate, they could be investigating the difference as we speak.-- Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Guest guest

There is a bigger push in the USA for screening. Maybe more deaths due to other causes eg heart problems (pure surmise) due to obesity. Sadly we are going that way in the UK too.

In the UK there is less of a push towards screening and I feel that men are less able to discuss cancer before and after diagnosis

View from London

This is a link to a page on the website of the London Prostate Cancer Centre which seems to give a good summary of the local view. I have also requested further information on their attitude to triple androgen blockage and the use of dutasteride.

http://www.prostatecancertreatment.co.uk/treatment-options/hormonal-treatment/

Bob

Guest guest

> There is a bigger push in the USA for screening. Maybe more

> deaths due to other causes eg heart problems (pure surmise) due

> to obesity. Sadly we are going that way in the UK too.

>> ----- Original Message -----

>> From: Clowes

>> According to Cancer Research UK, the prostate cancer mortality

>> rate in the UK is 34 per 100,000, while according to the

>> National Cancer Institute in the U.S. it is 24.4 per 100,000.

>> Can anyone explain the difference, if the NIH is so good? I

>> would expect the UK mortality to be lower.

I haven't seen any hard data that accounts for the discrepancy.

There could be better treatment in the US, earlier treatment (due

to better screening), some difference in the way statistics are

gathered, or some difference in the population.

American rates have declined a lot in the last few decades. That

might mean that screening is the main reason - since screening

only really began in the 1980's. But then again, it might not,

or maybe screening is an important factor but there are other

important factors as well.

I know that we in the US like to beat up on the British National

Health system and the Canadian system but, according to the

United Nations, it does appear that in the overall statistics for

life expectancy, the UK, Canada, Australia, and about 31 other

nations have a longer life expectancy than we have in the US.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

So I suspect that they must be doing something right.

Alan

Guest guest

Alan, as I understand it, we in the US have a far higher infant mortality rate than in those other countries, due in part to a higher incidence of premature and under-weight babies. The apparent reason is poor diet among the poor mothers, and especially among teenage mothers. We also have a far higher traffic fatality rate and a higher murder rate than in those countries. I read somewhere, even allowing for the latter two, if we could get our infant mortality rate down our life expectancy rate would equal or surpass those of the UK, Australia and Canada. Mike

To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Monday, March 12, 2012 1:43 PM Subject: Re: View from London

> There is a bigger push in the USA for screening. Maybe more> deaths due to other causes eg heart problems (pure surmise) due> to obesity. Sadly we are going that way in the UK too....>> ----- Original Message ----->> From: Clowes>> According to Cancer Research UK, the prostate cancer mortality>> rate in the UK is 34 per 100,000, while according to the>> National Cancer Institute in the U.S. it is 24.4 per 100,000.>> Can anyone explain the difference, if the NIH is so good? I>> would expect the UK mortality to be lower.I haven't seen any hard data that accounts for the discrepancy.There could be better treatment in the US, earlier treatment (dueto better

screening), some difference in the way statistics aregathered, or some difference in the population.American rates have declined a lot in the last few decades. Thatmight mean that screening is the main reason - since screeningonly really began in the 1980's. But then again, it might not,or maybe screening is an important factor but there are otherimportant factors as well.I know that we in the US like to beat up on the British NationalHealth system and the Canadian system but, according to theUnited Nations, it does appear that in the overall statistics forlife expectancy, the UK, Canada, Australia, and about 31 othernations have a longer life expectancy than we have in the US.See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancySo I suspect that they must be doing something right.

Alan------------------------------------There are just two rules for this group 1 No Spam 2 Be kind to othersPlease recognise that Prostate Cancerhas different guises and needs different levels of treatment and in some cases no treatment at all. Some men even with all options offered chose radical options that you would not choose. We only ask that people be informed before choice is made, we cannot and should not tell other members what to do, other than look at other options. Try to delete old material that is no longer applying when clicking replyTry to change the title if the content requires it

Guest guest

> Alan, as I understand it, we in the US have a far higher infant

> mortality rate than in those other countries, due in part to a

> higher incidence of premature and under-weight babies. The

> apparent reason is poor diet among the poor mothers, and

> especially among teenage mothers. We also have a far higher

> traffic fatality rate and a higher murder rate than in those

> countries. I read somewhere, even allowing for the latter two,

> if we could get our infant mortality rate down our life

> expectancy rate would equal or surpass those of the UK,

> Australia and Canada.

The Wikipedia article I cited is ambiguous about infant

mortality, but it's common in statistics like this to exclude all

deaths before the age of one year.

Traffic fatalities may be a factor, though I know that the U.S.

traffic fatality rate is way down from the days before government

regulations mandating seat belts and car safety standards.

However we still lose more people to traffic accidents than to

prostate cancer, and they're probably a lot younger on average.

As for the murder rate. That's a disturbing difference. I've

felt a lot safer in some third world countries than I have in my

own home town (Baltimore) in the US.

In the final analysis, I suspect that the British system is

better at some things and the U.S. system is better at others.

Alan