RemedySpot.com

Results

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Folks,

My worst night mares have come true,,my husband's prostate cancer is back,,,they are telling us the only thing next to a "cure" is salvage surgery. The doctor a very young gal but she seems to know what she is talking about. We really like her..but she wants to meet with us the first of next week. I'm sick over it,,,Mike, my husband, told me he should have had the surgery in the first place and got this cancer out of my body...But there is no nerve sparing so he would lose control of his bladder,,,I was talking to a member of the group and I was told about the Sphincter implant and they even sent me the link about it so I could tell the doctor we want this done. I printed it our for her..What it does is let him have control of his bladder,,,I want to read the three page report about it.

Let me tell you a bit about the begining, he had a Gleason 9 and PSA 7.9 he had 44 IMRT treatments 4 years ago,,,and you know now where we are at.

Oh,,I am just so upset,,,feel like there are heavy weights on my shoulders. Thank you for letting me vent plus I wanted to give you the update...Looks like my husband will have the surgery....I'll keep you posted and will let you know how the appointment goes. I keep you all in my thoughts and prayers...please pray for my husband,,,the doctor said the surgery would be tricky because he had the colon cancer surgery...we will find out more when we sit down and talk to her....I asked her about giving him a shot of Zoladex or something to slow the cancer now,,,she said it would make the surgery more difficult,,so we don't have much time,,,all his scans were negitive,,,,,it looks like it is contained,,,oh my,,I just don't know what this will do to him too,,,but at least we are talking about it,,,I was the one who had to tell my husband the results of the Prostascint Scan,,,it showed the cancer and so far is contained,,,,It was the hardest things I had to do,,,I thought I had it all together,,but my eyes filled up when I saw his face,,I just held it back,,,,didn't want to show him how I feel like I am coming apart inside.

Have a good day all.

Best Wishes,

Sheila

Sheila;I certainly understand your plight. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. You mention that there will be no nerve sparing, and that will cause loss of bladder control. I had the surgery, and the nerves were not spared either. yes, it is true that I cannot control the bladder the way i used to, but have him start doing Kegel exercises. That will allow him to control the bladder. I have very little leakage, and haven't had much since about 3 months out from surgery. It has now been a year and a half.Unfortunately, when the doctor says the nerves will not be spared, it usually means it is way harder to get an erection, if at all. You might want to talk with the doctor about that at your appointment. Good luck to you and your husband. Dan HarrimanOrange TexasIf at first you don't succeed, maybe

you shouldn't try sky diving!Subject: ResultsTo: ProstateCancerSupport Date: Friday, February 17, 2012, 7:52 AM

Hi Folks,

My worst night mares have come true,,my husband's prostate cancer is back,,,they are telling us the only thing next to a "cure" is salvage surgery. The doctor a very young gal but she seems to know what she is talking about. We really like her..but she wants to meet with us the first of next week. I'm sick over it,,,Mike, my husband, told me he should have had the surgery in the first place and got this cancer out of my body...But there is no nerve sparing so he would lose control of his bladder,,,I was talking to a member of the group and I was told about the Sphincter implant and they even sent me the link about it so I could tell the doctor we want this done. I printed it our for her..What it does is let him have control of his bladder,,,I want to read the three page report about it.

Let me tell you a bit about the begining, he had a Gleason 9 and PSA 7.9 he had 44 IMRT treatments 4 years ago,,,and you know now where we are at.

Oh,,I am just so upset,,,feel like there are heavy weights on my shoulders. Thank you for letting me vent plus I wanted to give you the update...Looks like my husband will have the surgery....I'll keep you posted and will let you know how the appointment goes. I keep you all in my thoughts and prayers...please pray for my husband,,,the doctor said the surgery would be tricky because he had the colon cancer surgery...we will find out more when we sit down and talk to her....I asked her about giving him a shot of Zoladex or something to slow the cancer now,,,she said it would make the surgery more difficult,,so we don't have much time,,,all his scans were negitive,,,,,it looks like it is contained,,,oh my,,I just don't know what this will do to him too,,,but at least we are talking about it,,,I was the one who had to tell my husband the results of the Prostascint Scan,,,it showed the cancer and so far is contained,,,,It was the hardest

things I had to do,,,I thought I had it all together,,but my eyes filled up when I saw his face,,I just held it back,,,,didn't want to show him how I feel like I am coming apart inside.

Have a good day all.

Best Wishes,

Sheila

Hi Sheila,I am so sorry to hear of your husband's report. I will indeed be praying for him and for you. Although our struggle with this disease is new (My dh diagnosed Dec. 15, 2011) I am already beginning to understand the emotional ups and downs a woman goes through as her husband is treated. I am so thankful your husband's cancer is contained in the gland itself! Although it probably doesn't feel much like a blessing right now, it is so much better than some of the other things that could have happened. I can truly understand how it must have been for you to have to tell him about the test results. What a hard thing, to have to be strong for him when on the inside you want to have a good cry!!Tell me what IMRT

means? I am so new to this that many of the abbreviations are confusing. Was that some sort of radiation therapy?I'm glad you are a part of this group. When people share their situation, I learn.Our own story is that my husband had a PSA of 250. His Gleason was 4 + 4 with bilateral involvement. Scans show the cancer has metasticized into the hip bones, the pelvic floor, and there is lymphatic involvement too. He's on Lupron injections and Bicaludamide at present and we go March 6 to learn how that has affected his PSA. I am so scared. I've read so many books on the subject of PCa that I feel I'm overloaded with info. And my husband seems to be ignoring his diagnosis of stage IV metastatic cancer. I'm assuming this is one of the stages of grief, as it is not like him to not face things head on. So I guess I'm trying to make each day a good one with good

memories and to enjoy the time we have. Trying, I say, because it is very hard some days. Yesterday after the clinic called to reschedule his Lupron injection because they had double-booked, I couldn't seem to get any answers about whether that would do him any harm, (as I'd read the Lupron injections must be no later than 84 days apart and this would have been 91 days). Just waiting on hold left me in tears and I don't even know why. I'm normally a Minnesota stoic kind of gal. What a time in our lives!! But I e-mailed Chuck Maack and he was almost instantly available to give me an answer. I am thankful for the shared experiences on this group.I'll be praying for you and hoping for a really good outcome for your husband. Do you have a date for the surgery yet?Your PCa group friend,Lenore"But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me." Micah 7:7

I am very sorry for your news. It must have been rough to tell your husband. One thing I am not so sure about though, usually when they talk about nerve sparing surgery they are talking about how it will effect erections and not bladder control. Most men who have prostate surgery will have some incontinence issues but after a few months they get it under control by doing Koegel exercises. The artificial sphincter does work and is very discrete but many drs use it as a last resort since it puts constant pressure on live tissue. That can cause problems. Your situation may be different because I am most familiar with surgery first and then radiation. Once your husband is on the mend there are options available to correct the ED situation. Sent from my iPhone

Hi Folks,

Oh,,I am just so upset,,,feel like there are heavy weights on my shoulders. Thank you for letting me vent plus I wanted to give you the update...Looks like my husband will have the surgery....I'll keep you posted and will let you know how the appointment goes. I keep you all in my thoughts and prayers...please pray for my husband,,,the doctor said the surgery would be tricky because he had the colon cancer surgery...we will find out more when we sit down and talk to her....I asked her about giving him a shot of Zoladex or something to slow the cancer now,,,she said it would make the surgery more difficult,,so we don't have much time,,,all his scans were negitive,,,,,it looks like it is contained,,,oh my,,I just don't know what this will do to him too,,,but at least we are talking about it,,,I was the one who had to tell my husband the results of the Prostascint Scan,,,it showed the cancer and so far is contained,,,,It was the hardest things I had to do,,,I thought I had it all together,,but my eyes filled up when I saw his face,,I just held it back,,,,didn't want to show him how I feel like I am coming apart inside.

Have a good day all.

Best Wishes,

Sheila

Hello Lenore and Sheila. I feel for both of you at this trying time. I have PCa, Gleason 4+3 or 3+4, and had a PSA of 5.7 last May. I too had some bicalutimide and Lupron. I also worried about the scheduling delay for my second and third injections. Was it just the lower level staff not paying attention to duration of efficacy, or was there a reason why they wanted to postpone the injection for a week. One always feels that one should have an expert available to answer such questions and double check the decisions of the treating team. The medical field requires you to learn so much and this is a rather distressing period of time. Unfortunately with PCa, there is no one clear method of treatment. But, please persevere. On this website, and others mentioned here, you will learn about the hopeful experiences of others in similiar circumstances. And this is a good time because there have been several new medications and others in the pipeline. Regards, T (now PSA <0.05 ng/ml as tested 3 months after ending proton beam therapy-) Hi Sheila,I am so sorry to hear of your husband's report. I will indeed be praying for him and for you. Although our struggle with this disease is new (My dh diagnosed Dec. 15, 2011) I am already beginning to understand the emotional ups and downs a woman goes through as her husband is treated. I am so thankful your husband's cancer is contained in the gland itself! Although it probably doesn't feel much like a blessing right now, it is so much better than some of the other things that could have happened. I can truly understand how it must have been for you to have to tell him about the test results. What a hard thing, to have to be strong for him when on the inside you want to have a good cry!!Tell me what IMRT means? I am so new to this that many of the abbreviations are confusing. Was that some sort of radiation therapy?I'm glad you are a part of this group. When people share their situation, I learn.Our own story is that my husband had a PSA of 250. His Gleason was 4 + 4 with bilateral involvement. Scans show the cancer has metasticized into the hip bones, the pelvic floor, and there is lymphatic involvement too. He's on Lupron injections and Bicaludamide at present and we go March 6 to learn how that has affected his PSA. I am so scared. I've read so many books on the subject of PCa that I feel I'm overloaded with info. And my husband seems to be ignoring his diagnosis of stage IV metastatic cancer. I'm assuming this is one of the stages of grief, as it is not like him to not face things head on. So I guess I'm trying to make each day a good one with good memories and to enjoy the time we have. Trying, I say, because it is very hard some days. Yesterday after the clinic called to reschedule his Lupron injection because they had double-booked, I couldn't seem to get any answers about whether that would do him any harm, (as I'd read the Lupron injections must be no later than 84 days apart and this would have been 91 days). Just waiting on hold left me in tears and I don't even know why. I'm normally a Minnesota stoic kind of gal. What a time in our lives!! But I e-mailed Chuck Maack and he was almost instantly available to give me an answer. I am thankful for the shared experiences on this group.I'll be praying for you and hoping for a really good outcome for your husband. Do you have a date for the surgery yet?Your PCa group friend,Lenore"But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me." Micah 7:7

FYI the week delay should not be a problem. I had worried too but found out that the drug has a much long effect than the dosage states. I am on a vacation from Lipton to see how effective my treatments were. They said it will be 3 to 6 months before it is out of my system. Sent from my iPhone

Hello Lenore and Sheila. I feel for both of you at this trying time. I have PCa, Gleason 4+3 or 3+4, and had a PSA of 5.7 last May. I too had some bicalutimide and Lupron. I also worried about the scheduling delay for my second and third injections. Was it just the lower level staff not paying attention to duration of efficacy, or was there a reason why they wanted to postpone the injection for a week. One always feels that one should have an expert available to answer such questions and double check the decisions of the treating team. The medical field requires you to learn so much and this is a rather distressing period of time. Unfortunately with PCa, there is no one clear method of treatment. But, please persevere. On this website, and others mentioned here, you will learn about the hopeful experiences of others in similiar circumstances. And this is a good time because there have been several new medications and others in the pipeline. Regards, T (now PSA <0.05 ng/ml as tested 3 months after ending proton beam therapy-) Hi Sheila,I am so sorry to hear of your husband's report. I will indeed be praying for him and for you. Although our struggle with this disease is new (My dh diagnosed Dec. 15, 2011) I am already beginning to understand the emotional ups and downs a woman goes through as her husband is treated. I am so thankful your husband's cancer is contained in the gland itself! Although it probably doesn't feel much like a blessing right now, it is so much better than some of the other things that could have happened. I can truly understand how it must have been for you to have to tell him about the test results. What a hard thing, to have to be strong for him when on the inside you want to have a good cry!!Tell me what IMRT means? I am so new to this that many of the abbreviations are confusing. Was that some sort of radiation therapy?I'm glad you are a part of this group. When people share their situation, I learn.Our own story is that my husband had a PSA of 250. His Gleason was 4 + 4 with bilateral involvement. Scans show the cancer has metasticized into the hip bones, the pelvic floor, and there is lymphatic involvement too. He's on Lupron injections and Bicaludamide at present and we go March 6 to learn how that has affected his PSA. I am so scared. I've read so many books on the subject of PCa that I feel I'm overloaded with info. And my husband seems to be ignoring his diagnosis of stage IV metastatic cancer. I'm assuming this is one of the stages of grief, as it is not like him to not face things head on. So I guess I'm trying to make each day a good one with good memories and to enjoy the time we have. Trying, I say, because it is very hard some days. Yesterday after the clinic called to reschedule his Lupron injection because they had double-booked, I couldn't seem to get any answers about whether that would do him any harm, (as I'd read the Lupron injections must be no later than 84 days apart and this would have been 91 days). Just waiting on hold left me in tears and I don't even know why. I'm normally a Minnesota stoic kind of gal. What a time in our lives!! But I e-mailed Chuck Maack and he was almost instantly available to give me an answer. I am thankful for the shared experiences on this group.I'll be praying for you and hoping for a really good outcome for your husband. Do you have a date for the surgery yet?Your PCa group friend,Lenore"But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me." Micah 7:7

Sheila, I'm adding you and Mike to my prayer list. Mike To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 8:52

AM Subject: Results

Hi Folks,

Oh,,I am just so upset,,,feel like there are heavy weights on my shoulders. Thank you for letting me vent plus I wanted to give you the update...Looks like my husband will have the surgery....I'll keep you posted and will let you know how the appointment goes. I keep you all in my thoughts and prayers...please pray for my husband,,,the doctor said the surgery would be tricky because he had the colon cancer surgery...we will find out more when we sit down and talk to her....I asked her about giving him a shot of Zoladex or something to slow the cancer now,,,she said it would make the surgery more difficult,,so we don't have much time,,,all his scans were negitive,,,,,it looks like it is contained,,,oh my,,I just don't know what this will do to him too,,,but at least we are talking about it,,,I was the one who had to tell my husband the results of the Prostascint Scan,,,it showed the cancer and so far is contained,,,,It was the

hardest things I had to do,,,I thought I had it all together,,but my eyes filled up when I saw his face,,I just held it back,,,,didn't want to show him how I feel like I am coming apart inside.

Have a good day all.

Best Wishes,

Sheila

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a medical oncologist in the Boston area,,,,I think Chuck gave me the name of one but I was hoping not to have to use it and I deleted his name,,Chuck or anyone who knows of a good medical oncologist who specializes in prostate cancer I would really appreciate it if we could get the name of one so our primary can get a referral for us..I don't want to waste anytime since we know the cancer has returned.

Thank you for all your responses, kind words and prayers. I will keep you all in my prayers as well.

Best Wishes,

Sheila

To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2012 6:09:18 PMSubject: Re: Results

Sheila, I'm adding you and Mike to my prayer list.

Mike

To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 8:52 AMSubject: Results

Hi Folks,

Have a good day all.

Best Wishes,

Sheila

Check out Mathew at Mass General or Philip Kantoff at Dana Farber. They're both wonderful. To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2012 10:04 PM Subject: Re: Results

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a medical oncologist in the Boston area,,,,I think Chuck gave me the name of one but I was hoping not to have to use it and I deleted his name,,Chuck or anyone who knows of a good medical oncologist who specializes in prostate cancer I would really appreciate it if we could get the name of one so our primary can get a referral for us..I don't want to waste anytime since we know the cancer has returned.

Thank you for all your responses, kind words and prayers. I will keep you all in my prayers as well.

Best Wishes,

Sheila

To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2012 6:09:18 PMSubject: Re: Results

Mike

To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 8:52 AMSubject: Results

Hi Folks,

Oh,,I am just so upset,,,feel like there are heavy weights on my shoulders. Thank you for letting me vent plus I wanted to give you the update...Looks like my husband will have the surgery....I'll keep you posted and will let you know how the appointment goes. I keep you all in my thoughts and prayers...please pray for my husband,,,the doctor said the surgery would be tricky because he had the colon cancer surgery...we will find out more when we sit down and talk to her....I asked her about giving him a shot of Zoladex or something to slow the cancer now,,,she said it would make the surgery more difficult,,so we don't have much time,,,all his scans were negitive,,,,,it looks like it is contained,,,oh my,,I just don't know what this will do to him too,,,but at least we are talking about it,,,I was the one who had to tell my husband the results of the Prostascint Scan,,,it showed the cancer and so far is contained,,,,It was the

hardest things I had to do,,,I thought I had it all together,,but my eyes filled up when I saw his face,,I just held it back,,,,didn't want to show him how I feel like I am coming apart inside.

Have a good day all.

Best Wishes,

Sheila

My Doc @Mass. General is Philip J. Saylor....outstanding guy--IMOhttp://www.massgeneral.org/doctors/doctor.aspx?id=18532Here is Mathew R. --http://www.massgeneral.org/doctors/doctor.aspx?id=17193 To: "ProstateCancerSupport " <ProstateCancerSupport > Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 3:51 PM Subject: Re: Results

Check out Mathew at Mass General or Philip Kantoff at Dana Farber. They're both wonderful. To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2012 10:04 PM Subject: Re: Results

Hi Everyone,

Best Wishes,

Sheila

Mike

Hi Folks,

Have a good day all.

Best Wishes,

Sheila

Hi Ralph,

I want to thank you so much for getting back to me on the information,,I will call tomorrow,,hopefully they will be open and because of the holiday I'm not so sure,,,but I will try,,if there not I'll call on Tuesday morning,,,I will give you all an update as soon as we know something. They both take our insurance which is always a relief too. I will keep you in my prayers also.

Best Wishes,

Sheila

To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:14:37 PMSubject: Re: Results

My Doc @Mass. General is Philip J. Saylor....outstanding guy--IMO

http://www.massgeneral.org/doctors/doctor.aspx?id=18532

Here is Mathew R. --

http://www.massgeneral.org/doctors/doctor.aspx?id=17193

To: "ProstateCancerSupport " <ProstateCancerSupport > Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 3:51 PMSubject: Re: Results

Check out Mathew at Mass General or Philip Kantoff at Dana Farber. They're both wonderful.

To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2012 10:04 PMSubject: Re: Results

Hi Everyone,

Best Wishes,

Sheila

Mike

Hi Folks,

Have a good day all.

Best Wishes,

Sheila

Thank you N.F.W for the name of the doctor,,you are the second one who has recommended Dr. ,,think I'll try him first,,please say a prayer for us as I will for you.

Take care and God Bless,

Sheila

To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 12:51:10 PMSubject: Re: Results

Check out Mathew at Mass General or Philip Kantoff at Dana Farber. They're both wonderful.

To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2012 10:04 PMSubject: Re: Results

Hi Everyone,

Best Wishes,

Sheila

Mike

Hi Folks,

Have a good day all.

Best Wishes,

Sheila