RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: When to use yogurt -- was Using Scdophilus

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Loren

In BTVC yogurt is listed as one of the allowable proteins. In my edition of BTVC (copyright 1994, 9th printing in 2002), it's mentioned on p. 53, in the first paragraph of chapter 9. It's also mentioned again on p. 44, the 2nd page of chapter 8 -- that yogurt is one of permitted dairy products, as long as it's made according to the instructions in the appendix (p. 131). Using yogurt is also mentioned several times in chapter 5, in the section on the science of the diet.

I hadn't looked at BTVC chapter 8 in a while, but just reread it and came across a statement that small amounts of SCD yogurt can be eaten even during the intro. diet. I did see something somewhere -- website perhaps? -- that it shouldn't be tried until after the intro. diet. I know yogurt is used in the cheesecake recipe which is suggested for the intro. diet, but it's cooked, so there aren't any bacteria remaining. Oh well, BTVC does indicate that a small amount of yogurt can be used even during the intro. diet. Guess I should always refer back to BTVC for the source of information.

Throughout BTVC Elaine stresses the fact that everyone should pay attention to their body's reactions to foods, and only eat those that cause the least amount of symptoms for a while, and to add them back into the diet later on. Yogurt and acidophilus supplements fall into the same category.

So, in the end, you can try acidophilus or yogurt anytime on SCD, depending on your body's reactions.

I am like Misty -- I go very slowly and use small amounts of foods and supplements when I first try them, paying close attention to my body's reactions. I couldn't tolerate the acidophilus supplement until my 4th month on SCD, and then it was half a capsule and it took me months to work up to a full capsule. My body doesn't tolerate yogurt (I tried all the variations...) so I take Kirkman Lab's acidophilus, one capsule every 3 days unless I'm on antibiotics.

Kim M.

SCD 5 years

upper GI dysfunctions, poor digestive motility 5+ years

neurological deterioration 2+ years

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

How do you support "We can start using acidophilus (or yogurt) justafter the intro. diet." Kim. :)I mean suppose one buys the book, has no internet access, or doesn'tfind this group. How does one know how to implement acidophilus orYogurt into the diet?Loren :)