RemedySpot.com

Re: My sandwich - and Applegate Farms turkey

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Kathy, I feel the same way you do about the breads. They're too heavy for true sandwiches and souffle bread is like eating an omelet! I just bought a crepe maker and used the crepe recipe in Every Day Grain Free Gourmet by Lass & Bager and I was practically doing backflips. The crepes are just perfect to use as bread! I use them like tortillas, so enjoyed burritos for the first time in years. I have used the tortilla recipe on a tortilla maker, but they turn out so brittle, they aren't good for anything but tostadas. These are so wrap-like that I feel like I can actually bring a normal-looking lunch places and can have something besides salad. The Grain-Free Gourmet cookbooks and Healing Foods are my absolute favorites. Don't know if the authors are on this loop, but if they are, let me just say I could kiss you! Thank you, thank you, thank you.MelSCD since 9/01dx'd UC in 1984Never been on medsHi all - Hubby and I recently got an ocean-going boat that allows us to do overnight trips. My cooking facilities consist of a single butane burner and a cooler. As you can imagine, I've had to do a lot of thinking and planning in order to have meals for our outings. Single-pot dishes have been the dinner mainstays.However, I have never found a "sandwich replacement" that satisfies me since starting SCD. I frankly don't like any of the nut breads. I recently made souffle bread - but was a little disappointed at how much it tasted like eggs (funny, isn't it, since it's made almost totally from eggs!). A couple of times, I have been going somewhere and brought along half a omelette and eaten it cold - but usually my massive amounts of stuffing (meat, veg's, cheese, mushrooms, etc.) tend to fall out. For the most part, I take meat and wrap it in a slice of provolone and call it lunch when I have to travel.Last week, I decided to try making just a basic omelette with no filling to use as "bread." I made mine in an omelette pan - but next time I'll try a cookie sheet with sides to make the pieces square (like the souffle bread recipe). The thing that really elevated this to something that turned my sandwich into a delicious lunch was the addition of fresh rosemary into the eggs. The rosemary is strong enough that it offsets the egg taste - and in fact, brings up memories of rosemary bread.My sandwiches consist of the new rosemary (omelette) bread, sliced provolone, sliced turkey, tomatoes, lettuce, and legal mustard. Today I also added cucumber. For the first time, I felt like I was really eating a sandwich!A side note with regard to store-bought sliced turkey. I have been buying the Applegate Farms turkey from Whole Foods deli since starting SCD - not frequently, but once every other month or so - as it lists no illegals and other SCDers have used it successfully. I was in a health food store closer to my house last week and saw pre-packaged Applegate Farms turkey. I was excited, thinking I wouldn't have to make the trek to Whole Foods and could have it more often - but then I saw that the package listed cargeenan (sp?). Drat!So - beware and be warned. I'm not sure if the whole turkeys they use in the deli section at Whole Foods also have it, but I would definitely be wary of it now.KathyUC since 12/05SCD Since 7/07med-free since 7/08

At Whole Foods and at some grocery stores ask for turkey off the bone. This is a regular turkey breast with no additives. I some times go to local deli's for it. Whole Foods and the deli's bake the breast on premise.

Charlene

IBS since 1986

UC since 2007

Hi all - Hubby and I recently got an ocean-going boat that allows us to do overnight trips. My cooking facilities consist of a single butane burner and a cooler. As you can imagine, I've had to do a lot of thinking and planning in order to have meal! s for ou r outings. Single-pot dishes have been the dinner mainstays.However, I have never found a "sandwich replacement" that satisfies me since starting SCD. I frankly don't like any of the nut breads. I recently made souffle bread - but was a little disappointed at how much it tasted like eggs (funny, isn't it, since it's made almost totally from eggs!). A couple of times, I have been going somewhere and brought along half a omelette and eaten it cold - but usually my massive amounts of stuffing (meat, veg's, cheese, mushrooms, etc.) tend to fall out. For the most part, I take meat and wrap it in a slice of provolone and call it lunch when I have to travel.Last week, I decided to try making just a basic omelette with no filling to use as "bread." I made mine in an omelette pan - but next time I'll try a cookie sheet with sides to make the pieces square (like the souffle bread recipe).

The thing that really elevated this to something that turned my sandwich into a delicious lunch was the addition of fresh rosemary into the eggs. The rosemary is strong enough that it offsets the egg taste - and in fact, brings up memories of rosemary bread.My sandwiches consist of the new rosemary (omelette) bread, sliced provolone, sliced turkey, tomatoes, lettuce, and legal mustard. Today I also added cucumber. For the first time, I felt like I was really eating a sandwich!A side note with regard to store-bought sliced turkey. I have been buying the Applegate Farms

turkey from Whole Foods deli since starting SCD - not frequently, but once every other month or so - as it lists no illegals and other SCDers have used it successfully. I was in a health food store closer to my house last week and saw pre-packaged Applegate Farms turkey. I was excited, thinking I wouldn't have to make the trek to Whole Foods and could have it more often - but then I saw that the package listed cargeenan (sp?). Drat!So - beware and be warned. I'm not sure if the whole turkeys they use in the deli section at Whole Foods also have it, but I would definitely be wary of it

now.KathyUC since 12/05SCD Since 7/07med-free since 7/08

Shoot! I just bought some of the Applegate farms turkey and was delighted as well. Thanks for the heads up on the Carragenan - I totally missed that.Their hot dogs I think are ok -I called and they use beets as the thickener. I had them write me a letter and I sent it to Lucy.

At 10:22 AM 9/10/2008, you wrote:

Their hot dogs I think are ok -I

called and they use beets as the thickener. I had them write me a

letter and I sent it to Lucy.

Could you please send me a photocopy of the letter? I'd like to create a

library of these letters so that people can peruse them and decide which

products they consider safe for their own use. (Although, as always, I

consider that " make your own " is safest.)

Marilyn

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund