Re: Nut yougurt

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I'm anxious to get this recipe too, as I can't tolerate either cow's or

goat's milk.

Thanks,

>

> Hi all!

> Can someone share the recipe for nut yogurt please?

> Thanks. Lucy.

> SCD 3.5 years

> added anti-candida diet 05/2008

>

Here's one from my files:

ALMOND YOGURTby Donna BeckerNUT YOGHURT RECIPEIngredients:2 Cups almond flour from blanched almonds ( OR (equivalent to) 1 1/3 cup whole blanched almonds OR (equivalent to) 2/3 Cup plus 1 T almond butter from blanched almonds) 2 TBL clear honeyWARM WATERYoghurt starter (ProGurt by GI ProHealth)MAKING ALMOND MILK1 Begin warming up your yogurt maker. 2.Put nuts or nut flour into food processor and turn into nut butter. (OR use nut flour in blender and skip this step but the end product will not taste as smooth and the final bacterial cell counts may be lower).3. Add 2 tablespoons of honey4. Add enough warm water (approximately 100F) to get a total of 4 cups. 5. Blend for 10 minutes. TURNING ALMOND MILK TO YOGURT6. Make sure your almond milk is not higher than 100F.7. Add 1/8 tsp GIprohealth starter to 1 quart of almond milk. 8. give a few quick pulses with blender to mix. 9. Pour into container in yoghurt maker.10 During first few hours of fermentation the fermenting almond milk will separate causeing a clear watery liquid in bottom. If you take the time to mix this layer back into the upper layer at specific points during fermentation process, you will have a thicker, better quality product, in the end. Mixing should be on the bottom of the vessel, gently, with a wire whisk, after 1 hour and again between 2-3 hours, and if possible once between 5-10 hours. OR If these mixing steps are not possible you will still have a yogurt but it will not be as thick. Iit will be more like watery pancake batter. If only some mixing steps are possible than do what you can. I often start my yogurt at night and do the first few mixing steps before bed. 10. Ferment for 12 hours. OR you want it done in 8 hours than use double the starter and you will get a nice yogurt in 8 hours. OR you have started it and it will be done at time you wont be home than use a timer and have it shut off at the scheduled time. It will be fine at room temp until you return (within the next 4 hours or so). 11. Place in the fridge 5-8 hours. It will get thicker. TURNING YOUR ALMOND MILK TO A SUBSTITUTE FOR DRY CURD COTTAGE CHEESE (OR JUST A THICKER YOGURT) 12. Get a bowl, put the sieve on the bowl, put a cheesecloth in the sieve13. Pour the yoghurt in the cheesecloth so that it can drip. OR Donvier makes a little container with a cover and a screen that is made for dripping yogurt which is available through www.lucyskitchenshop.com14. Drip for about an hour, or longer if you'd like the yoghurt thicker15. By pressing the dripped yoghurt further, you can make something that resembles cheese.16. If you want to drip it and then freeze it to use in recipes than it will no longer be able to have live organisms in it but it will still be perfect for cooking. If your yogurt gets old it is no longer live (greater than 2 weeks) than you can drip it and freeze it and use in place of dry curd cottage cheese in any recipes. (Dont throw it out - it makes a nice ingredient for many recipes that normally would have dairy in it). I think there's one on pecanbread also.

Phyllis---------------------------------------------------------------------

----- Original Message -----

Hi all!Can someone share the recipe for nut yogurt please?Thanks. Lucy.SCD 3.5 yearsadded anti-candida diet 05/2008

This one looks simpler: Also from Donna:

for 1 quart of yogurt you would use 1 1/3 C almondsI have found that1/3 Cup almonds = 1/2 cup flour.2 Cups flour --> yields 1 liter of milk. (OR APPROXIMATELY 1 QUART)NUT YOGHURT RECIPEor *nut milk recipeIngredients:2 cups almond flour (i use flour from www.digestivewellness.com)2 Tablespoons honey wateryoghurt starter (i have used customprobiotics starter. i use the amount of starterrecommended for 2-4 quarts yogurt because it makes a better thickeryogurt if i use this amount)1. put almond flour in blender.2. add honey and water to equal 4 cups.3. blend for 10 minutes. this should leave virtually no residue. 4. add 0.2 gms of yogurt starter. Custom probiotics gives you a tinyscoop which holds 0.1 gm and a larger scoop which holds 0.8 gms. Theamount I added to make a quart of yogurt is equivalent to 1/2 of thelarger scoop. 5. give the blender a whirr to mix. 6. Ferment for 8 hours in yogurt maker. (mine is the donvier 8 cupmodel. custom probiotics recommends not covering the cups whilefermenting with the little lids. it helps to have them uncovered to geta firmer yogurt. )7. chill or eat warm. It is really good warm. this recipe substitutes for yogurt in any recipe quite nicely. and ihave dripped it and have used the dripped yogurt as a sub for DCCC quiteeasily. *for nut milk recipe follow steps 1-3 only. you can get some nice growth in the absense of honey if you want to tryit that way instead. less live cells but still valuable. Phyllis

I'm anxious to get this recipe too, as I can't tolerate either cow'sor goat's milk. Thanks,

ALMOND, FILBERT OR MACADAMIA YOGURT by MarjanNUT YOGHURT RECIPEIngredients:1 1/3 cup whole, RAW blanched almonds or RAW blanched hazelnuts (filberts) or RAW macadamias2 TBL clear honeyWaterYoghurt starter (ProGurt by GI ProHealth)Step-by-step instructions for making nut yoghurt:1. Put all things you need on a tea towel on the kitchen table:blender, a fine sieve, some tea towels, the nuts, honey, two tablespoons, whisk, water, yoghurt maker + yoghurt container. Get the probiotics out of the freezer only when you need them.2. Put nuts into blender3. Add enough cold water to get a total of 4 to 5 cups / =1 litre4. Add 2 tablespoons of honey5. Blend for 10 minutes (use a stopwatch)6. Pour about 1 cup of the nut milk through the fine sieve(You can squeeze out more liquid if you use a teacloth and twist it firmly.)NOW take your

probiotics out of the freezer7. Add 1/8 tsp of ProGurt yoghurt starter to the milk, per 1 quart of yogurt.8. Stir well with whisk, add the rest of the milk, with back of spoon press out all liquids9. Stir well and place container in yoghurt maker10. Ferment for 8 hours.11. Place in the fridge overnight or at least for 5 hours (overnight is better)12. Get a bowl, put the sieve on the bowl, put a cheesecloth in the sieve13. Pour the yoghurt in the cheesecloth so that it can drip14. Drip for about an hour, or longer if you'd like the yoghurt thicker15. By pressing the dripped yoghurt further, you can make something that resembles cheeseThe fermentation process takes place at about 105 Fahrenheit.As you see, I do NOT cook or heat the milk. After blending, the milk should be lukewarm, not warmer than 105F. If you heat more, the milk will separate and the fermentation will

not take place.Try to find RAW nuts that have been through minimal processing. Deep frying them may be very tasty, but it will negatively affect the outcome and it is also a bit unhealthy.The sieve is such, that if you pour orange juice through it, there's no pulp in your glass.This nut yoghurt is a nice and safe alternative when you cannot tolerate goat's or cow's yoghurt (yet). Go for it!________________________________________Loving Care Grammy Gay CD-1994,SCD-1997 Web Site: http://www.SCDiet.net/ Indy, IN

ALMOND, FILBERT OR MACADAMIA YOGURT by MarjanNUT YOGHURT RECIPEIngredients:1 1/3 cup whole, RAW blanched almonds or RAW blanched hazelnuts (filberts) or RAW macadamias2 TBL clear honeyWaterYoghurt starter (ProGurt by GI ProHealth)Step-by-step instructions for making nut yoghurt:1. Put all things you need on a tea towel on the kitchen table:blender, a fine sieve, some tea towels, the nuts, honey, two tablespoons, whisk, water, yoghurt maker + yoghurt container. Get the probiotics out of the freezer only when you need them.2. Put nuts into blender3. Add

enough cold water to get a total of 4 to 5 cups / =1 litre4. Add 2 tablespoons of honey5. Blend for 10 minutes (use a stopwatch)6. Pour about 1 cup of the nut milk through the fine sieve(You can squeeze out more liquid if you use a teacloth and twist it firmly.)NOW take your probiotics out of the freezer7. Add 1/8 tsp of ProGurt yoghurt starter to the milk, per 1 quart of yogurt.8. Stir well with whisk, add the rest of the milk, with back of spoon press out all liquids9. Stir well and place container in yoghurt maker10. Ferment for 8 hours.11. Place in the fridge overnight or at least for 5 hours (overnight is

better)12. Get a bowl, put the sieve on the bowl, put a cheesecloth in the sieve13. Pour the yoghurt in the cheesecloth so that it can drip14. Drip for about an hour, or longer if you'd like the yoghurt thicker15. By pressing the dripped yoghurt further, you can make something that resembles cheeseThe fermentation process takes place at about 105 Fahrenheit.As you see, I do NOT cook or heat the milk. After blending, the milk should be lukewarm, not warmer than 105F. If you heat more, the milk will separate and the fermentation will not take place.Try to find RAW nuts that have been through minimal processing. Deep frying them may be very tasty, but it will negatively affect the outcome and it is also a bit unhealthy.The sieve is such, that if you pour orange juice through it,

there's no pulp in your glass.This nut yoghurt is a nice and safe alternative when you cannot tolerate goat's or cow's yoghurt (yet). Go for it!________________________________________Loving Care Grammy Gay CD-1994,SCD-1997 Web Site: http://www.SCDiet.net/ Indy, IN

Thank you so much to everybody who replied to my question.

The only thing I am confused about now is why ProGurt is a choice of a starter. Can I use Yogourmet starter instead?

Thanks again.

Lucy

>

> Thank you so much to everybody who replied to my question.

> The only thing I am confused about now is why  ProGurt is a choice of a

starter. Can I use

>Yogourmet starter instead?

Progurt is the starter because it is a non dairy starter, whereas yogourmet is a

dairy

starter - so, for people with casein allergies, or who are extremely reactive to

dairy,

progurt is a better choice. You can use yogourmet starter but if you are

extremely

reactive it is another precaution not to use it.

Mara

> Thanks again.

> Lucy

>