RemedySpot.com

Re: Feeding Tube/Elemental Diet Questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I can see that if your 11 year old son is only 60 pounds, you have to consider extreme measures. Recently I researched the feeding tube issue for my mother (who refused it and passed away two weeks ago, taking three months to die from malnutrition.)

You can choose a short term tube through the nose or a longer term tube directly into the stomach. Each has its risks and benefits and the doctor can detail those. You would work with a special nutritionist to plan a "recipe" especially formulated for your son's needs, so you could request SCD compliance. You can be very firm and have complete control over what goes in his "recipe."

Good luck in researching your options. And best wishes to your son, for a speedy recovery.

Lesa

IB 2 years

SCD since 9/07

30 mg hydrocortisone

Hi All,We visited our son's GI today, and he is wanting us to consider putting our 11 yo son with CD on a feeding tube. He explained that some other countries have found great success treating CD with nutrition (via a feeding tube). He indicated he thought our son (who has dropped back to 60 lbs) would really benefit from getting his nutrients this way.Has anyone on this list been on a feeding tube (placed through the abdominal wall), and, if so, how did it work for you? Also, I am most concerned about the "food/liquid" that will be adminsitered through the tube. I want it to be compliant with SCD if possible, but I fear it is loaded with junk. Does anyone know if there are certain types of feeding tube "foods" that are SCD legal? And, can a person eat while they are on a feeding tube? I hate the thought of my son not being able to eat anything, but we need to get him better (as he has only grown 1/2" in the last year, and the doc says we are losing valuable growing time). I read about elemental diets in BTVC, but I am not completely sure what that is... Hmmmm...Sorry for all the questions! You guys are awesome, and thanks for your help!DS 11 yo CD Jan 08, SCD 8 months, 10 mg pred Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.