RemedySpot.com

Re: Website info for prepared foods ??

Rate this topic

Guest guest

individual pineapple packs, nuts and cranberry and raisin mix packs from either Trader Joes or Cosco- I think it's Trader Joe's.

Website info for prepared foods ??

Can anyone recommend websites to order pre-packaged SCD snacks? I have ordered the Apple Crisps from Digestive Wellness, but other than the fruit leather, the selection is limited. Both of my childrens' teachers have requested shelf stable food choices to keep in the class for unexpected snacking - like prizes for games, etc. and freezers are not an option. Thank you for any assistance!Kim Mom of Matt - 7 yr old newly diag Crohns and Kailee - 12 yr old ASD

Thank you !! I will check with my local store!

Can anyone recommend websites to order pre-packaged SCD snacks? I have ordered the Apple Crisps from Digestive Wellness, but other than the fruit leather, the selection is limited. Both of my childrens' teachers have requested shelf stable food choices to keep in the class for unexpected snacking - like prizes for games, etc. and freezers are not an option. Thank you for any assistance!Kim Mom of Matt - 7 yr old newly diag Crohns and Kailee - 12 yr old ASD

At 01:57 PM 10/1/2008, you wrote:

Can anyone recommend websites to

order pre-packaged SCD snacks? I have ordered the Apple Crisps from

Digestive Wellness, but other than the fruit leather, the selection is

limited. Both of my childrens' teachers have requested shelf stable food

choices to keep in the class for unexpected snacking - like prizes for

games, etc. and freezers are not an option. Thank you for any

assistance!

Well, that's the problem. SAFE snacks for SCD are homemade -- and may not

be shelf stable.

A couple items I can think of contain nuts, and your school is probably a

nut-free zone.

Terri and Kurt said, " individual pineapple packs, nuts

and cranberry and raisin mix packs from either Trader Joes or Cosco- I

think it's Trader Joe's. " and this is a good suggestion.

However, Trader Joe's has a very limited distribution area.

Also, with ANY pre-packaged fruit, you have to be exceptionally careful

that they do not add sugars or starches to it. Both cranberries and

pineapple are especially bad for this.

I dehydrate my own pineapple and it keeps very well.

You might suggest to the teacher that she make something other than food

a prize, especially considering the obesity issue in this country these

days.

Marilyn

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Marilyn, my understanding is that canned fruits are "legal" as long as they are packaged in their own juice with nothing added. Also if nuts are raw and cranberries are raw or dehydrated and no sugar or starch are listed in the ingredients, aren't they legal? Am I missing something here? Yes obesity is a problem and sometimes a kid just wants to fit in. And I thought your suggestion about something other than food as a treat was a good suggestion. My daughter's class at that age asked for unopened Mc 's toys.

Terri

At 01:57 PM 10/1/2008, you wrote:

Can anyone recommend websites to order pre-packaged SCD snacks? I have ordered the Apple Crisps from Digestive Wellness, but other than the fruit leather, the selection is limited. Both of my childrens' teachers have requested shelf stable food choices to keep in the class for unexpected snacking - like prizes for games, etc. and freezers are not an option. Thank you for any assistance!Well, that's the problem. SAFE snacks for SCD are homemade -- and may not be shelf stable.A couple items I can think of contain nuts, and your school is probably a nut-free zone.Terri and Kurt said, "individual pineapple packs, nuts and cranberry and raisin mix packs from either Trader Joes or Cosco- I think it's Trader Joe's." and this is a good suggestion. However, Trader Joe's has a very limited distribution area.Also, with ANY pre-packaged fruit, you have to be exceptionally careful that they do not add sugars or starches to it. Both cranberries and pineapple are especially bad for this.I dehydrate my own pineapple and it keeps very well. You might suggest to the teacher that she make something other than food a prize, especially considering the obesity issue in this country these days.

— Marilyn New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001 Darn Good SCD Cook No Human Children Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Terri,

You are correct that fruits canned in their own juice are legal -- but

these are few and far between. I've even had trouble getting pineapple in

its own juice: Dole has started doing " pineapple in pineapple

juice " to which they add things, and to which I react. But I never

did to the " own juice " ones.

For instance, pears in white grape juice would not be legal.

Raw fruits, if tolerated, are fine. Dehydrated fruits, as long as nothing

illegal is added to them when they are processed. I have yet to find

dried cranberries which don't have (a) sugar, (B) high fructose corn

syrup, or © raw cane juice, all of which boil down to " sugar "

added to them.

That's why I bought a dehydrator. Just couldn't trust the commercial

stuff.

Marilyn

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Marilyn, thanks for the response. I need to check the label on those nut packs at the store. It was pre-SCD but I thought there was no sugar and maybe it was some berry other than cranberry because what you said makes sense. I know that the pears and peaches are packed in other stuff but the Dole pineapple packs are in their own juice.

I bought a dehydrator last night. Do you have a favorite dehydrating recipe other than au-natural?

Terri

Terri,You are correct that fruits canned in their own juice are legal -- but these are few and far between. I've even had trouble getting pineapple in its own juice: Dole has started doing "pineapple in pineapple juice" to which they add things, and to which I react. But I never did to the "own juice" ones. For instance, pears in white grape juice would not be legal.Raw fruits, if tolerated, are fine. Dehydrated fruits, as long as nothing illegal is added to them when they are processed. I have yet to find dried cranberries which don't have (a) sugar, (B) high fructose corn syrup, or © raw cane juice, all of which boil down to "sugar" added to them.That's why I bought a dehydrator. Just couldn't trust the commercial stuff.

— Marilyn New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001 Darn Good SCD Cook No Human Children Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

I found a packaged dried apple/pear snack that my daughter enjoys. It is Brothers-All-Natural Crisps. We get them at Costco.

Also, we found l'ara' bars sold at Costco. They look legal, but we haven't eatten them because they have nuts and we aren't ready for nuts yet.

Another thought is that we also get individual applesause cups that have no sugar. They are from Giant Food Store and they are the Nature's Promise brand.

Hope that helps.

Kathy

Subject: Re: Website info for prepared foods ??To: BTVC-SCD Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2008, 9:29 PM

Marilyn, thanks for the response. I need to check the label on those nut packs at the store. It was pre-SCD but I thought there was no sugar and maybe it was some berry other than cranberry because what you said makes sense. I know that the pears and peaches are packed in other stuff but the Dole pineapple packs are in their own juice.

I bought a dehydrator last night. Do you have a favorite dehydrating recipe other than au-natural?

Terri

Terri,You are correct that fruits canned in their own juice are legal -- but these are few and far between. I've even had trouble getting pineapple in its own juice: Dole has started doing "pineapple in pineapple juice" to which they add things, and to which I react. But I never did to the "own juice" ones. For instance, pears in white grape juice would not be legal.Raw fruits, if tolerated, are fine. Dehydrated fruits, as long as nothing illegal is added to them when they are processed. I have yet to find dried cranberries which don't have (a) sugar, (B) high fructose corn syrup, or © raw cane juice, all of which boil down to "sugar" added to them.That's why I bought a dehydrator. Just couldn't trust the commercial stuff.

My daughter does pretty well with raisens, as long and she doesn't go crazy and eat a ton. You could get small boxes of raisens for snacks. We get Nature's Promise at the Giant. The ingredients are just organic raisens.

Kathy

Subject: Re: Website info for prepared foods ??To: BTVC-SCD Date: Wednesday, October 1, 2008, 3:22 PM

individual pineapple packs, nuts and cranberry and raisin mix packs from either Trader Joes or Cosco- I think it's Trader Joe's.

>

> I alway's try to keep jeannies macaroons around, so I don't get a sweet

> tooth and mess up

Jennies macaroons are not legal...there's something in the powdered

egg whites, I think. I read about it here once.

SCD 2/08

>