RemedySpot.com

Re: Yogurt science

Rate this topic

Guest guest

From what this article says, I should be holding the temperature of the milk when making yogurt at approx. 190 degrees for 10 minutes. By doing this, my yogurt will absorb more of the watery liquid. Does anyone else interperate it as this? Has anyone tried this?

Also when I started on SCD 3 weeks ago, I went to 4 stores looking at every commercial yogurt to use as a starter. I finally found Activia- it's a new Dannon yogurt. It has cultured grade A reduced fat milk and corn starch as ingredients and the active cultures are L.bulgaricus, s.thermophilius and bifidobacterium. Does anyone see anything wrong with this yogurt? Is there a better commercial yogurt to use? I have a warming drawer in my kitchen and don't want to invest in a yogurt machine when my drawer is working like a charm.

Terri

2 years UC

3 weeks SCD

Yogurt science

I just came across this scientific article about how yogurt forms ifanyone's interested:http://www.magma.ca/~pavel/science/Yogurt.htmDebbie T (UC 28 yrs, SCD 10/06, Lialda)

Does anyone see anything wrong with this yogurt? Is there a better commercial yogurt to use?

bifidobacterium and cornstarch are problems. Faget's Total Greek Yogurt is great.

Ann,

Living in Italy

Undiagnosed Crohn's since 1977 Diagnosed 15 years

Sacroiliitis 25 years

Rheumatoid arthritis 25 years

Pyoderma Gangronosum 2 years

SCD since July, 2008

Meds: Tapering Prednisone for PG

Yogurt science

I just came across this scientific article about how yogurt forms ifanyone's interested:http://www.magma. ca/~pavel/ science/Yogurt. htmDebbie T (UC 28 yrs, SCD 10/06, Lialda)

Hi Terri,That yogurt is not legal to use for starter. The corn starch and bifidus are both illegal. Dannon Plain full fat version is ok. Check the ingredients label to make sure that it doesn't contain pectin and FAGE Total Greek yogurt is also ok to use for starter. If you can't find either of these, you can order yogurt starter from Lucy's Kitchen, http://www.lucyskitchenshop.com/Take care,Kim H.husband, , CD 1999SCD 2002Also when I started on SCD 3 weeks ago, I went to 4 stores looking at every commercial yogurt to use as a starter. I finally found Activia- it's a new Dannon yogurt. It has cultured grade A reduced fat milk and corn starch as ingredients and the active cultures are L.bulgaricus, s.thermophilius and bifidobacterium. Does anyone see anything wrong with this yogurt? Is there a better commercial yogurt to use? I have a warming drawer in my kitchen and don't want to invest in a yogurt machine when my drawer is working like a charm.

Terri

2 years UC

3 weeks SCD

At 03:31 PM 10/3/2008, you wrote:

I finally found Activia- it's a

new Dannon yogurt. It has cultured grade A reduced fat milk and corn

starch as ingredients and the active cultures are L.bulgaricus,

s.thermophilius and bifidobacterium. Does anyone see anything wrong with

this yogurt?

Yep. The corn starch is not legal, even in a starter, and any starter

with bifido or bifidus bacterium is right out the window!

Marilyn

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

thanks for everyone's responses before I make another batch incorrectly! Where do I buy this FAGE Total Greek Yogurt or FAGET?

And Marilyn, since you're leaving the kids at home, have fun making Whooppee!!

Hi Terri,That yogurt is not legal to use for starter. The corn starch and bifidus are both illegal. Dannon Plain full fat version is ok. Check the ingredients label to make sure that it doesn't contain pectin and FAGE Total Greek yogurt is also ok to use for starter. If you can't find either of these, you can order yogurt starter from Lucy's Kitchen, http://www.lucyskitchenshop.com/Take care,Kim H.husband, , CD 1999SCD 2002

Also when I started on SCD 3 weeks ago, I went to 4 stores looking at every commercial yogurt to use as a starter. I finally found Activia- it's a new Dannon yogurt. It has cultured grade A reduced fat milk and corn starch as ingredients and the active cultures are L.bulgaricus, s.thermophilius and bifidobacterium. Does anyone see anything wrong with this yogurt? Is there a better commercial yogurt to use? I have a warming drawer in my kitchen and don't want to invest in a yogurt machine when my drawer is working like a charm.

Terri

2 years UC

3 weeks SCD

The correct name is FAGE, I mistyped it. If you tell where you live I'm sure someone can tell you where to find it in your area. Here it's sold in most major supermarkets.

Ann,

Living in Italy

Undiagnosed Crohn's since 1977 Diagnosed 15 years

Sacroiliitis 25 years

Rheumatoid arthritis 25 years

Pyoderma Gangronosum 2 years

SCD since July, 2008

Meds: Tapering Prednisone for PG

Hi Terri,That yogurt is not legal to use for starter. The corn starch and bifidus are both illegal. Dannon Plain full fat version is ok. Check the ingredients label to make sure that it doesn't contain pectin and FAGE Total Greek yogurt is also ok to use for starter. If you can't find either of these, you can order yogurt starter from Lucy's Kitchen, http://www.lucyskit chenshop. com/Take care,Kim H.husband, , CD 1999SCD 2002

Terri

2 years UC

3 weeks SCD