RemedySpot.com

was: what's the hangup with paper?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

"Elaine cleared some processed foods when she wrote her book, but who'sto say that those formulations haven't changed since then?"

, I really agree with your outlook. As an Observant Jew, I keep kosher. Those little letters (like the "u" inside a circle) on a product label mean that a product has been under fairly strict rabbinical supervision to confirm that what's in it is really what's in it :). The fact that Welch's juice was confirmed by Elaine years ago to be okay and we're all still taking that confirmation (well, not me personally, b/c Welch's isn't kosher....) is, to me, really odd since I'm used to a system that requires far more constant supervision. Fwiw, there's a continuum of kosher certifications, with only some being accepted by the majority of Observant Jews. What makes a kosher certification considered less reliable is, usually, the frequency of rabbinic supervision.

So while I think a book of accepted products would be nice, I doubt it would be practical since it would be out-of-date quite soon after it's printed. If you ever run across it (yeah, right!), check out Kashrus magazine. In it, they have lists of products that, for whatever reason, are either inappropriately labeled (like as being pareve [neither meat nor dairy] when actually they are dairy), companies that have labeled their products as kosher without the appropriate supervision (and fees!), etc. They even send out email alerts about this stuff. It is an understatement to say that certifying a product as specifically containing only the ingredients on its label is a tough job.

Well, I've been wanting to say that since I read BTVC over 2 years ago!

Ellen

10 y/0 dd scd since 5/06 for Crohn's and doing great

down to 12.5 mg/imuran/day and heading for zero meds in just a few weeks!!!!!