RemedySpot.com

Re: Fall is Soup Time! Cream Soups (LSCDL Recipe)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Marilyn,

Thanks for posting this. I love soup! I'm so glad that it's cooling off outside. I've made soup the past 3 weeks.

I wonder about adding cheddar cheese and cooked broccoli for broccoli cheese soup? I've made broccoli cheese soup before using cauliflower. I made a cauliflower bisque then melted cheddar cheese in it and added steamed broccoli. It was really good. Unfortunately, it didn't sit too well with . He's fine with broccoli (eats it all the time) but not with cauliflower....go figure....

Thanks again,

Kim H.

husband, , CD 1999

SCD 2002

Cream Soup 2 cups chicken, veal, vegetable, or beef stock, or water 1 cup yogurt cheese or DCCC, whipped smooth2 tablespoons finely minced onion2 tablespoons butter1 finger garlic, pressed½ teaspoon each fresh basil and thyme ¼ teaspoon white pepper ¼ teaspoon salt (optional) In a large sauce pan, melt butter. Sauté onion until just translucent, then add garlic and cook about 2-3 minutes. Add ½ cup of the stock. If a very smooth soup is desired, remove from heat, cool slightly, then purée in a blender. Whisk in the yogurt cheese. Gradually add the rest of the stock, whisking until smooth. Stop adding stock when you have desired degree of thickness for the soup. Add desired meats, vegetables, and seasonings:· Cream of tomato soup: Mix 2-3 cups

very thick tomato sauce with cream soup base. Adjust seasonings – a sprinkle of Krivelshire spices or Cajun Vegetable Seasoning is nice. Bring just to a simmer.· Cream of onion soup: Melt 4 tablespoons butter and add 3 cups coarsely chopped red, yellow, or white onions. Cover and cook on low heat 15 to 20 minutes, or until very tender. Cool slightly, then add to soup base.· Cream of chicken soup: use chicken stock for base. Add 2 cups cooked, coarsely shredded chicken meat and 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning and stir well. Bring just to simmer, and serve.· Cream of mushroom soup: sauté ½ pound sliced mushrooms, crimini or button in 2-4 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon thyme. Cook slightly, then add mushrooms and butter to the

soup.· New England-style clam chowder: cook ¼ to ½ pound bacon very crisp (Gene’s Crispy Bacon) and crumple, reserving 2-4 teaspoons bacon grease. Sauté 2 dozen medium size quahog clams in bacon fat, along with ¼ cup chopped onion. Cool slightly, and add with 2 cups soaked, cooked navy pea beans or split red lentils or 2 cups cooked, chopped cauliflower to the soup. Serve topped with bacon bits. Use Pork or Seafood stock for the soup base. If you add too much stock so soup is too thin, beat one or two eggs well, then add 2-3 spoonfuls of cooled soup, whisking it into the eggs. Repeat until at least one cup has been added. Then add this mixture into the soup and blend well. (Soup should not be hot when adding the egg). Return to heat and bring to just simmering, stirring constantly. Boiling the soup after adding the egg will cause it to curdle, and you will have a nice, creamy, egg

drop soup flavored with whatever else you added.

— Marilyn New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001 Darn Good SCD Cook No Human Children Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

At 12:33 PM 10/21/2008, you wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I love

soup! I'm so glad that it's cooling off outside. I've made soup the past

3 weeks.

I wonder about adding cheddar cheese and cooked broccoli for broccoli

cheese soup?

Kim,

As a matter of fact, I was thinking about broccoli and cheese soup,

myself! And yes, I think it would work very well with any of the

variations of cream soup. I'd be torn between using chicken broth (for

the milder taste) and using beef broth (to make it a little more robust

seeming dish. (I should probably make some, and test it out! <evil

grin> You know, positive dedication to list duty, and all

that!)

>> I've made broccoli cheese soup before using cauliflower. I made

a cauliflower bisque then melted cheddar cheese in it and added steamed

broccoli. It was really good. Unfortunately, it didn't sit too well with

. He's fine with broccoli (eats it all the time) but not with

cauliflower....go figure.... <<

Well, I can kinda see where both broccoli and cauliflower, both

cruciferous veggies, in quantity, in the same dish, could be a trifle

much for a still sensitive stomach. I generally do pretty well with them,

and I don't think I would want to go there!

So what's your recipe for cauliflower bisque?

Marilyn

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

>>Well, I can kinda see where both broccoli and cauliflower, both

cruciferous veggies, in quantity, in the same dish, could be a trifle

much for a still sensitive stomach. I generally do pretty well with them,

and I don't think I would want to go there!Yeah and it seems that he has regressed some since getting food poisoning over the summer. He will go for a while and be fine then he'll have symptoms for 1 to 3 days and then be fine again. And it seems that he cannot tolerate any raw veggies at all....not even avocado but he can tolerate raw fruit and cooked veggies. I read that it can take one's digestion several months to return to normal after having salmonella. Mine, and I was not nearly as sick as , has just returned to normal in the past few weeks so I'm sure given his condition, it is going to take longer for him. We are reintroducing yogurt very slowly and so far so good. He's never tolerated it well (or liked it) but I think he needs the probiotics to try and balance things out again. And when we tried it before, we didn't introduce it slowly. He just started out eating smoothies with banana, honey, etc. I don't remember it being recommended to start out so slowly with it when we first started the diet. It very well could have and I was so overwhelmed at the time, I missed that part. Anyway, I don't see why it should be a problem, he eats all kinds of cheese with no problem and has taken the acidophilus capsules. I think maybe he didn't tolerate it before because my yogurt maker gets too hot. I had never taken the temp of the water bath until recently and it gets up to around 130*F so it's very possible that he didn't tolerate yogurt because it got too

hot and killed the bacteria before they used up all the lactose. Anyway, I've gotten way off the subject here.....>>So what's your recipe for cauliflower bisque?It is a recipe my mom got from one of her low-carb recipe sites. CAULIFLOWER BISQUE 1 small cauliflower, cut into small chunks, about 20 ounces after trimming 1 small onion, diced or leeks, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces 2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped 2 tablespoons butter 3 cups homemade chicken broth Salt and pepper, to taste In

a 3-quart saucepan, sauté the onion or leek and celery in the butter

until tender. Add the chopped cauliflower, a bit of salt and pepper and

the broth; bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low; cover and simmer

until the cauliflower is very tender, about 20-25 minutes. Use a stick

blender to puree the soup until completely smooth and thick. Add salt

and pepper, if needed. Makes about 6 cups or 6 big servings Can be frozen When I made broccoli cheese soup out of it, I doubled the recipe, grated a pound of cheddar and steamed a package of frozen broccoli. I added the cheese after I'd pureed it and stirred until the cheese melted then added the steamed broccoli. For anyone brave enough to try it, it's really good but very advanced.Take care,Kim H., husband, , CD 1999, SCD 2002