RemedySpot.com

Re: Repost: Experimenting <evil cackle> -- from 08/14/08

Rate this topic

Guest guest

So is this the same bread you had the steak sandwiches on? Sounds awesome will make tomorrow...need a change!

Thanks as always....

Suzanne

Repost: Experimenting -- from 08/14/08To: BTVC-SCD > > OK, so, here I am with a set of home made hot > dogs sitting in front of me. I love plain hot > dogs with cheese and homemade Creole mustard and homemade > refrigerator dills.> > But there's something about a hot dog in a BUN. > Or a wrap. Or SOMETHING, dang it.> > I have a hot dog bun pan in which I've put the > Lois Lang bread (my basic bread variation > thereof). Makes nice buns, but there is so MUCH > of it that I just can't eat even a whole one, let > alone two with the hot dogs. Besides, as much as > I like almond bread, it's pretty high in > calories, and I'm trying to keep my count down so > that even if I can't lose weight while I'm on > these !@#$#@! pain meds, I at least won't gain weight.> > Multiple mentions of the nut-free / dairy-free > bread on Pecan Bread. Okay, but I don't have a > half cup of cooked vegetables to spare, and don't > feel like cooking any. I also don't have any avocados.> > Looked at Jodi's Souffle Bread on UCLBS, but I > don't feel like defrosting and opening a whole > package of DCCC for that half cup.> > I also am not up to the baking, and turning and re-baking the > souffle bread.> > Grrr.> > Then I had an idea. Back before I got the Big C > diagnosis, I bought myself a big pizza stone. > Which I hadn't yet used. I got Harry to stick it > on the middle shelf of the oven for me. Preheated > the oven to 350F with the stone in it.> > Then I started separating eggs.> > Six egg whites, beaten stiff with a few pinches of salt.> > Beat two egg yolks with 2 tablespoons finely ground pecan butter.> > Drizzle on the egg whites. Whip together.> > First effort was to spoon this into the eight > well-buttered spaces on my hot dog bun pan and > bake. Turned out great, but like most souffles, > it flattened as it cooled. It also stuck like the > blazes to the pan, although I eventually got them > out intact. (Not without a fair amount of > swearing, however.) I had to use two of them per > hot dog, and the round hot dog kept trying to > slide out from between the two bun pieces. Tasted delicious, though.> > Okay, Effort Two:> > Six egg whites, beaten stiff with a few pinches of salt.> > Beat two egg yolks with 2 tablespoons finely ground pecan butter.> > Drizzle on the egg whites. Whip together.> > Put a large sheet of parchment paper (slightly > longer than the pizza stone) on a stiff cutting > board. Turn out the egg white mixture and spread > it out into a rough rectangle on the parchment. > Opened the oven, and pulled out the rack with the > stone (next time I will make certain that the > oven mitt I use doesn't have a hole in it) and > slid the parchment onto the stone. Retouched the > egg whites to a smoother layer, slid the rack back in and closed > the oven.> > Bake for 20-25 minutes. Slide the parchment back > out onto the cutting board, and turn off the > oven. Use a pizza wheel to slice into bread-sized > slices, or a slightly larger rectangle which can > wrap around the hot dog, cheese, and chili. YES! > (Though I wish you could have seen the look on my > non-SCD husband's face when I informed him I > needed to grab his buns.... to measure for the > size of the rectangle, of course...)> > But there's this annoyance of having to take the > time to make the pecan butter, since I do not have a food processor.> > So, Effort THREE!> > Six egg whites, beaten stiff with a few pinches of salt.> > Sprinkle with 4 tablespoons finely ground pecans.> > Beat two egg yolks, and drizzle on. Whip together.> > Put a large sheet of parchment paper (slightly > longer than the pizza stone) on a stiff cutting > board. Turn out the egg white mixture and spread > it out into a rough rectangle on the parchment. > Opened the oven, and pulled out the rack with the > stone and slid the parchment onto the stone. > Retouched the egg whites to a smoother layer, > slid the rack back in and closed the oven.> > Bake for 20-25 minutes. Slide the parchment back > out onto the cutting board, and turn off the > oven. Use a pizza wheel to slice into bread-sized > slices, or a slightly larger rectangle which can > wrap around the hot dog, cheese, and chili. YES!> > I swear, this stuff comes up tasting like whole > wheat bread. The pizza stone eliminates the need > to turn the souffle bread over to bake the bottom, which makes > it much easier.> > Now then, what about those twelve spare egg yolks > I have sitting around? Beat until thick and > yellow, sprinkle in 3 tablespoons of pecan flour, > mix, and spread on parchment paper and bake on a > regular pan on the top shelf of the oven while > baking Version 3. Allow to cool. Slice thinly. > Egg noodles. (Actually, I've done this before > with just eggs, but always had a problem with the > egg crepes sticking to the pan. My suspicion is > that the egg yolks without the nut flour would work fine, too)> > But I just can't resist experimenting. So I took > a couple of handfuls of the "egg noodles" and put > them in the dehydrator over night. Crispy, > crunchy pretzel-like sticks. Bet they'd do well > as "Chinese noodles" with a stir fry, too.> > The next experiments will involve trying almond > flour, cashew flour, and maybe some walnut > flour. I'm also going to try making a batch of > the bread, dressing it with pizza sauce and > homemade pepperoni and provolone... I love my nut > flour Parmesan crusted pizzas, but they're still pretty heavy.> > I've often thought that perhaps one reason people > new to the diet have trouble is because they're > craving bread-substitutes. However, their bodies > aren't ready for large quantities of nut flours > or even nut butters yet. But they may be able to > tolerate small quantities, if they tolerate the > eggs. In my case, I'm trying to keep my calorie > intake to a modest level because of the obesity > which is the hallmark of my particular brand of > digestive disorder. Full nut breads are pretty > calorie-dense -- a reason carb junkies sometimes > find themselves eating just nut breads because > they fill up on the breads the same way they used > to fill up on grain-based breads and don't have > room for healthy meats, vegetables, fruits, yogurt, and broths.> > It has the advantage of requiring one large > mixing bowl for the whites, and two smaller ones > for the yolks -- two in one and four (for later > noodles) in the other. It also needs a mixer and > some parchment paper. Minimal cleanup. Takes > about 35 minutes from the time I turn on the oven > to the time I'm pulling the bread out of the > oven. This bread is relatively light -- about 55 > calories per sandwich sized slice. I haven't calculated out the > noodles.> > — Marilyn> New Orleans, Louisiana, USA> Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001> Darn Good SCD Cook> No Human Children> Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund> >

At 10:14 PM 10/17/2008, you wrote:

So is this the same bread you

had the steak sandwiches on? Sounds awesome will make tomorrow...need a

change!

Yep! The thing I like is that it's so much lighter than the all-nutflour

breads. I love those, but I just can't eat very much!

Marilyn

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund