RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Maranatha almond butter -- was Signs of improvement?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I'm not sure the Maranatha almond butter would be permitted on SCD. I question the dry roasting process in particular, although frankly I don't trust anything made by anyone else. I make my own peanut butter, for example, because my digestion tolerates it better than the brand I used to get that had nothing but peanuts and oil on the label....

I believe the dry roasting process can use cornstarch and/or unlabeled seasonings and/or hydrogenated oils. As far as I can tell from a quick online search, what ingredients are added to the nuts during and after the dry roasting process varies with each company, and varies with the product. It's very likely these ingredients won't be included on the jar label, as they would consist of less than 2% label requirement. Granted almonds destined to be put into almond butter won't have all the seasonings added that nuts destined to be canned for snacking would have, but still there's a chance. And a risk.

While it's a small amount of illegals possibly added to the almonds used in Maranatha's almond butter, it still might be enough to cause long-term issues for those of us with compromised digestive systems. Besides undoing some of the hard work you've already accomplished on SCD.

I'd make my own -- or find a brand of almond butter that is from blanched almonds, and not dry roasted.

Kim M.

SCD 5 years

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I bought a jar of MaraNatha Almond Butter at Whole Foods. The only ingredients are dry roasted almonds. I assume this is legal- I haven't opened it. Anyone see an issue with this?