RemedySpot.com

Re: Yogurt

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Fage has a Total Sheep and Goat Yoghurt, is it not available where you shop? Maybe you can ask the manager to order it. I just made my first batch of Fage yoghurt and it's the thickest, best batch I've ever made. I'll never buy that powdered starter again! Though that is another choice, to just use the starter mix with the goat's milk. My starter must have been bad though because the yogurt was very thin and runny.

Ann,

Living in Italy

Undiagnosed Crohn's since 1977 Diagnosed 15 years

Sacroiliitis 25 years

Rheumatoid arthritis 25 years

Pyoderma Gangronosum 2 years

SCD since July, 2008

Meds: Tapering Prednisone for PG

Yogurt

I have just bought a yogurt machine and plan on making our own yogurtfor my son and myself, but we both do better with goat's milk ratherthan cow's milk. The only goat yogurts that I find at the store (to useas a starter) have Bifidus (illegal), so here is my question: Would itmake any difference if I use FAGE yogurt as a starter with goat's milkto make our yogurt? Would anyone know for sure before I possibly wastea batch of yogurt?Thanks, Sharon

Hi Sharon,

It depends on how sensitive you both are to cow's milk. If you are really sensitive, then yes it could cause a problem for you because there would be a small amount of it in the yogurt. For those who are very sensitive, there is a yogurt starter that is non-dairy. You can get it from, http://www.giprohealth.com/giprostart.aspx

Also see, http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/beginners_guide/yoghurt/yog_starters.htm towards the bottom of the page, there is a section on Goat Yogurt Starter.

Best wishes,

Kim H.

husband, , CD 1999

SCD 2002

I have just bought a yogurt machine and plan on making our own yogurtfor my son and myself, but we both do better with goat's milk ratherthan cow's milk. The only goat yogurts that I find at the store (to useas a starter) have Bifidus (illegal), so here is my question: Would itmake any difference if I use FAGE yogurt as a starter with goat's milkto make our yogurt? Would anyone know for sure before I possibly wastea batch of yogurt?Thanks, Sharon

• 1 month later...

Ann, what are you using for a yogurt starter? Katy

Click here to find Medical Transcription Training programs.

Katy,

I'm using Dannon whole milk yogurt (no additives) for a starter.

Ann

Re: Yogurt Posted by: " kplatt@... " kplatt@... bluetulip53 Date: Sat Oct 4, 2008 2:21 pm ((PDT)) Ann, what are you using for a yogurt starter? Katy

Hello all --

This message is just sort of a last-ditch effort to find answers, advice...

As some may remember, yogurt has never sat well with me. In the 6 monthssince I started the diet, I have started making my own yogurt (of course),gotten the thermometers out, and dimmer switch in operation to keep the

temperature where it needs to be, started out very slowly one tsp at a timeto see if I could build up tolerance for it. Every few weeks though I'dhave to give yogurt a complete break, while getting my digestion under

control (the most I can describe is that the yogurt always just made me feelsick). This last effort (in the last few weeks) seemed to be going verywell. I was up to a cup a day, in a banana smoothie. It was SO good. And

then suddenly I started have bloody bowel movements again. Really, out ofnowhere. I wasn't sure what to blame, but with my bad luck with yogurt, Icut that out immediately. This was about a week ago. I've still had some

traces of blood, and gas and mucus that were the hallmark symptoms during myfirst 2 months of the diet, but the obviously bloody stool has stopped.Which leads me to believe it may indeed have been the yogurt.

Has anyone else had this experience? I had started with goat's milk, andthen transferred over to cow's milk for my yogurt (a lot cheaper, and easierto find). The goat's milk yogurt sometimes made me feel sick, but never had

caused bloody stool. Could the change to cow's milk cause such an adversereaction? Also, I was well into my second batch of cow's milk yogurt whenthe bloody stool hit, so that was about 2 weeks of a cup of cow's milk

yogurt a day WITHOUT symptoms, before the bloody stool hit. Would that makesense?

Why would everything else on the SCD work for me, and not the yogurt? I caneat cheddar and swiss cheese, and butter, all with no problem. DCCC hasgiven me huge problems, but I'm assuming that's because the brand sold

locally must have illegal ingredients.

So, just looking for any wisdom you all have... Thanks!!

Ann (from Iowa)UC, SCD since 03/30/2008

Messages in this topic (16)________________________________________________________________________3b. ____________________________________________________________

• 2 months later...

Hello,

You can get an SCD legal, dairy free starter from http://www.giprohealth.com/yogurtstarter.aspx

Best wishes,

Kim H.

husband, , CD 1999, SCD 2002

Can anyone recommend a yogurt starter that isn't cow's milk (allergy) but that doesn't have pectin or carageenan or "natural flavor" in them as those are other names for MSG and are potent neurotoxins which contribute to leaky gut and leaky tissues (brain, vessels).

• 2 weeks later...

No, just add 2-3 hours to your total time. Should be fine.

Mara

> my light bulb went out for 2 hours last night in oven - chuck the

> batch

> or cook extra??? i take acid so i'm not worried that way but can it

> hurt me?????

> thanks eileen

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

>