RemedySpot.com

Re: dairy--can this be? help with a not-so-verbal child

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have never tolerated much dairy since I was an infant, but when I started SCD I started eating yogurt more often. After 6 months of eating a third of a cup of yogurt every other day I suddenly developed a sensitivity to all dairy -- extreme and debilitating joint pain due to inflammation. This symptom is a common immune response. So now I don't touch dairy except for butter, which is mostly fats.

In my case the sensitivity to dairy hasn't improved, so I do SCD without yogurt and without cheese. I do fine, though.

I also had a lot of food sensitivities when I started SCD, and still have a few. I get more typical immune responses to them -- hives and mild respiratory distress, sometimes watery eyes. The joint pain isn't as typical, but it's very defintely triggered by an inflammatory response. I also have a more extreme reaction to certain supplements, when I'm suddenly ovewhelmed by exhaustion and fatigue and have to sleep for several hours.

I also have read about emotional changes as a indicator of food sensitivities. Children tend to react this way more than adults. Have you looked over the information on www.pecanbread.com ? It's a website geared towards children on SCD, and has lots of helpful information.

The good thing is that if you can figure out which foods your son isn't tolerating now, and keep him at a core group of foods for a while, it's likely his body will heal and he can eventually tolerate more foods, which will make things easier for you and him.

Kim M.

SCD 5 years

>>>>>>>>>>

Please... if you have a issue with dairy and can verbalize what you feel, how you act if u eat it... it would help me watch for his symptoms to look for a reaction. I see things and think... could be a reaction... could be nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I just found your message-- thanks for writing.

Interesting. You are making me not only think about my son, but me,

I think I have always had a sensitivity to milk... milk intolerance, too. I am not sure, but you are making me think,

I started drinking more milk since I have been buying raw milk from a farm. it is so good.. especially chocolate milk. I have been drinking like 2 glasses a day... it fills me up-- but I have also started suffering from terrible pain in my heel... crippling, actually... and my stomach is swollen and hard at top... I don't know if this could have something to do with my milk increase.. maybe even healthier milk... is still not good for me. I remember before I was "organic" or "raw", while pregnant I tried to drink milk. My knees started to hurt. every time. Perhaps even raw milk is screwing me up. Like my son with the yogurt. Ugh. I really love the choc. milk... which is of course a sign it's no good for me.

basically, I should only eat stuff I don;t really like one way or the other. (LOL)

It sounds like maybe he was ok with dairy when it was less... but my increasing it made HIM sensitive to all... like you.

It is so confusing with a child whom cannot explain his symptoms... I look to myself, my other children, to understand better.

One day, I hope tyo figure this all out and live in painfree peace.

thanks for your help.

I feel like we are such freakish people with these very very odd issues... I am so tired of it all!

thanks

I have to go talk myself into doing a trial run on giving up milk for a month.

Take care!

mom of 3 - 6, 11 (ASD), Randy 20SCD since 11/14/2007household SCD modified, but not all following