RemedySpot.com

Re: New and have a few questions...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I don't have any answers to your questions. I'm new into this diet also. I have a 13 year old daughter who was diagnosed with celiac disease in 06. She had severe anxiety/panic with stomach pains. The Lord totally directed us and we found out she has celiac disease and her anxiety got better, but not 100%.

This summer, she had a stress trigger her anxiety again. She has not been to school yet this school year due to the anxiety and is doing tutoring thru the school and keeping up her A average. We are also seeing a therapist. She's on Paxil also.

She was having alot of the same symptoms from 2 years ago with her stomach again, so we had an endoscope done and it showed nothing. Once again, it was a total God thing, because He lead us to a nutritionist that we've now been dealing with. She did tests and found that has a bacterial overgrowth in her small intestine plus a few food intolerances. By stopping the bacteria, we are doing this diet. And like I said, we are 3 weeks into it. She also doesn't have diarrhea. So we didn't do any intro diet at all. We just started following the diet in the book. The only thing I think she was eating too much of and now we cut back is the stuff made with nut flour. I was making her pancakes, muffins, cookies, bread, etc. She felt sick Sat. morning, really bad. and I think she's eating too much of it, so now she's eating the stuff in moderation.

I have come up with a few things that I'm cooking, if you want to know what they are. Let me know.

If you have time, tell me your daughter's story. I just feel like I'm alone in this. NOt many people have heard of this diet. I do believe it will help with her digestive issues. Just not sure on the anxiety. Although I keep reading about the brain/bowel connection. And I can't deny the fact that 2 years ago, once she went gluten free, her anxiety/panic was a lot better.

Marla

New and have a few questions...

I'm fairly new to all of this as our 11 year old daughter wasdiagnosed with Crohn's a couple of weeks ago. She is currently takingPentasa and Prilosec to treat the Crohn's that was found to be in hercolon, lower small intestine, stomach, and also in her esophagus. Shehas not gained any weight or height for 2 years. We started the Intro diet yesterday. My question is: Since she wasalready "symptom free" before we started the diet, do I still need tomove slowly through the stages? She has no diarrhea at all. Thedoctor said that is due to the fact that she has mild CD in her colonbut it is worse in her lower intestine, the reason for not gainingweight or growing. I specifically wanted to give her some bananas that I had dehydratedmyself using VERY ripe bananas. I did dip the bananas in a solutionof water and citric acid to prevent browning. Is it okay for her tohave that now?I did

let her have homemade applesauce and SCD yogurt today with alittle honey on top and a mashed up VERY ripe banana. What aboutcinnamon on her applesauce. Is that okay to give at this point? Weare only on day two but the book says that they only need to stay onthe intro until diarrhea clears and she does not have that. Well, I guess that's all for now.Thank you for letting me join your group. :-)

She also doesn't have diarrhea. So we didn't do any intro diet at all. We just started following the diet in the book. The only thing I think she was eating too much of and now we cut back is the stuff made with nut flour. I was making her pancakes, muffins, cookies, bread, etc. She felt sick Sat. morning, really bad. and I think she's eating too much of it, so now she's eating the stuff in moderation.Just saying, Dusty, whether she has D or not, it's better to start with the intro. You only have to do it for two days, but it helps clear the body out of junk and then, when you introduce new foods in slowly, you can start to see what might give her issues and anxiety reactions. In your case, the connections are going to be particularly subtle since there could be a behavioral rather than a physical manifestation. So having her eat everything at once is not going to allow this method of checking particular foods to work for you. A number of people jump into the middle and don't find the diet successful for them and then they leave. Sometimes they come back, having realized they need to start at the beginning and they have a whole different reaction. Mara

I don't mean to steer anyone wrong. Like I said, this is all new to me too.

All I can tell people is my experience.

I'm a little annoyed with the nutritionist for not telling me to do the intro diet first. What exactly is the intro diet, anyway? What page in the book? I'll have to go and look.

Do you think a food can cause a person extreme anxiety? We did do a food intolerance test and am keeping away from those foods- peanuts, dairy, almonds, pineapple and egg whites. The diet gets more complicated by doing those eliminations too.

Anyway, I am not an expert and please don't take my word on anything regarding this diet. I'm learning as I'm going along.

Plus, I'm not going to stop doing this diet for my daughter. In my mind, it's the only way to break this overgrowth of bacteria from growing. Do you agree?

Marla

She also doesn't have diarrhea. So we didn't do any intro diet at all. We just started following the diet in the book. The only thing I think she was eating too much of and now we cut back is the stuff made with nut flour. I was making her pancakes, muffins, cookies, bread, etc. She felt sick Sat. morning, really bad. and I think she's eating too much of it, so now she's eating the stuff in moderation.

Just saying, Dusty, whether she has D or not, it's better to start with the intro. You only have to do it for two days, but it helps clear the body out of junk and then, when you introduce new foods in slowly, you can start to see what might give her issues and anxiety reactions. In your case, the connections are going to be particularly subtle since there could be a behavioral rather than a physical manifestation. So having her eat everything at once is not going to allow this method of checking particular foods to work for you.

A number of people jump into the middle and don't find the diet successful for them and then they leave. Sometimes they come back, having realized they need to start at the beginning and they have a whole different reaction.

Mara

I don't mean to steer anyone wrong. Like I said, this is all new to me too.All I can tell people is my experience.I'm a little annoyed with the nutritionist for not telling me to do the intro diet first.Well the nutritionist probably never did the diet herself - just knows about it. So she didn't know all the details. What exactly is the intro diet, anyway? What page in the book? I'll have to go and look. In my book, p. 51, but I don't have the latest edition. In chapter 8, introducing the diet. Do you think a food can cause a person extreme anxiety? Yes. We did do a food intolerance test and am keeping away from those foods- peanuts, dairy, almonds, pineapple and egg whites. The diet gets more complicated by doing those eliminations too. Anyway, I am not an expert and please don't take my word on anything regarding this diet. I'm learning as I'm going along.Plus, I'm not going to stop doing this diet for my daughter. In my mind, it's the only way to break this overgrowth of bacteria from growing. Do you agree?So far. Although you might at some point want to introduce natural anti-virals and anti-bacterials as well, such as oil of oregano, or grapefruit seed extract or evening primrose oil. for example:http://www.homeremediesweb.com/oil_of_oregano_health_benefits.phpMara

Would anxiety also be something that could happen to an adult after following the diet for a month, then starting the intro diet? This seems to be happening to me. Also I have lost a few Lbs. (30) and my Blood Glucose is now in range, I think get the jitters from this as well.

Dianna

She also doesn't have diarrhea. So we didn't do any intro diet at all. We just started following the diet in the book. The only thing I think she was eating too much of and now we cut back is the stuff made with nut flour. I was making her pancakes, muffins, cookies, bread, etc. She felt sick Sat. morning, really bad. and I think she's eating too much of it, so now she's eating the stuff in moderation.

Just saying, Dusty, whether she has D or not, it's better to start with the intro. You only have to do it for two days, but it helps clear the body out of junk and then, when you introduce new foods in slowly, you can start to see what might give her issues and anxiety reactions. In your case, the connections are going to be particularly subtle since there could be a behavioral rather than a physical manifestation. So having her eat everything at once is not going to allow this method of checking particular foods to work for you.

A number of people jump into the middle and don't find the diet successful for them and then they leave. Sometimes they come back, having realized they need to start at the beginning and they have a whole different reaction.

Mara

So even by eliminating the food intolerances, there still could be a food that triggers anxiety that doesn't show up on the food intol. list?

Marla

I don't mean to steer anyone wrong. Like I said, this is all new to me too.

All I can tell people is my experience.

I'm a little annoyed with the nutritionist for not telling me to do the intro diet first.

Well the nutritionist probably never did the diet herself - just knows about it. So she didn't know all the details.

What exactly is the intro diet, anyway? What page in the book? I'll have to go and look.

In my book, p. 51, but I don't have the latest edition. In chapter 8, introducing the diet.

Do you think a food can cause a person extreme anxiety?

Yes.

!

We did do a food intolerance test and am keeping away from those foods- peanuts, dairy, almonds, pineapple and egg whites. The diet gets more complicated by doing those eliminations too.

Anyway, I am not an expert and please don't take my word on anything regarding this diet. I'm learning as I'm going along.

Plus, I'm not going to stop doing this diet for my daughter. In my mind, it's the only way to break this overgrowth of bacteria from growing. Do you agree?

So far. Although you might at some point want to introduce natural anti-virals and anti-bacterials as well, such as oil of oregano, or grapefruit seed extract or evening primrose oil.

for example:

http://www.homereme diesweb.com/ oil_of_oregano_ health_benefits. php

Mara

Would anxiety also be something that could happen to an adult after following the diet for a month, then starting the intro diet? This seems to be happening to me. Also I have lost a few Lbs. (30) and my Blood Glucose is now in range, I think get the jitters from this as well. DiannaThat could be a few things - I imagine losing 30 pounds in a month - which by the way congratulations - could cause some odd biochemical or hormonal activity.Also, it could be die off. See this description from pecanbread:http://www.pecanbread.com/new/begindiet1.htmlList of possible die off temporary symptomsMost children will not have these symptoms. Flu Like Symptoms nausea and on rare occasions vomit.dizzinessachy joints and backchange in bowels (diarrhea or constipation)strange skin rashesrunny nose and funny coughheadachesbehavior changes/irritability/tantrums/short temperedsleep disturbancesThings you can do to make it more tolerable:Epsom Salt soaks in a warm tubActivated Charcoal Capsules for a brief time. Do not take it during meal times.Slowing down the introduction of enzymes (some call this the "low and slow" method.Going slower in the introduction of the SCD probiotics and yogurt. You should wait before introducing these if you have a strong die off symptoms (www.pecanbread.com has ideas on introducing this yogurt)Following the directions in Chapter 9 and 10 in the introductions of foods.

If I do the intro diet for more than 2 days, I get very jittery and wake up practically shaking. Anxiety can have similar feelings to low blood sugar. If you don't have major D, I would not do the intro for more than 2 days and then start adding things in. Also, be sure to get enough to eat. It can be hard on the intro diet, but be sure you are getting enough to keep your blood sugar from going too low, if youa re prone to swings in your blood sugar.

Also, years ago I did a low-carb diet to lose weight, and because I felt better eating that way, but I did start to have some shakiness, etc when I got below a certain weight. That was my cue that I had dipped just a bit under my ideal weight, and when I out back 5 pounds, I was good again. So I agree with the PP who said it could be the rapid weight loss. 30 pounds in one month is a lot. Did you say you lost that in one month?

Sonya

Would anxiety also be something that could happen to an adult after following the diet for a month, then starting the intro diet? This seems to be happening to me. Also I have lost a few Lbs. (30) and my Blood Glucose is now in range, I think get the jitters from this as well.

DiannaThat could be a few things - I imagine losing 30 pounds in a month - which by the way congratulations - could cause some odd biochemical or hormonal activity.

Also, it could be die off. See this description from pecanbread:http://www.pecanbread.com/new/begindiet1.html

List of possible die off temporary symptomsMost children will not have these symptoms. Flu Like Symptoms nausea and on rare occasions vomit.

dizzinessachy joints and backchange in bowels (diarrhea or constipation)strange skin rashesrunny nose and funny coughheadachesbehavior changes/irritability/tantrums/short tempered

sleep disturbancesThings you can do to make it more tolerable:Epsom Salt soaks in a warm tubActivated Charcoal Capsules for a brief time. Do not take it during meal times.

Slowing down the introduction of enzymes (some call this the " low and slow " method.Going slower in the introduction of the SCD probiotics and yogurt. You should wait before introducing these if you have a strong die off symptoms (www.pecanbread.com has ideas on introducing this yogurt)

Following the directions in Chapter 9 and 10 in the introductions of foods.

Thank you, jitters are much better today,:) No, not in one month, but

close to it. I do not have D I'm a C person. Which was getting better

on the intro diet for me. I am doing my best to get enough to eat,

it's a little hard getting started. I made applesauce that seems to

be helping. I eat the chicken soup only once a day now, and only half

a muffin at a time. I was seeing such improvement with just the diet,

I wanted to see how the intro would be. My only item left to get is

the yogurt. (I am waiting delivery of a machine.) I think this will

help alot, to have yogurt available to snack on.

Dianna

Diag. UC 5/06

SCD 45 days...Cortenama daily

> >

> > Would anxiety also be something that could happen to an adult

after

> > following the diet for a month, then starting the intro diet?

This seems to

> > be happening to me. Also I have lost a few Lbs. (30) and my Blood

Glucose is

> > now in range, I think get the jitters from this as well.

> >

> > Dianna

> >

> >

> >

> > That could be a few things - I imagine losing 30 pounds in a

month - which

> > by the way congratulations - could cause some odd biochemical or

hormonal

> > activity.

> >

> > Also, it could be die off. See this description from pecanbread:

> >

> > http://www.pecanbread.com/new/begindiet1.html

> > List of possible die off temporary symptomsMost children will not

have

> > these symptoms.

> >

> >

> > - Flu Like Symptoms

> > - nausea and on rare occasions vomit.

> > - dizziness

> > - achy joints and back

> > - change in bowels (diarrhea or constipation)

> > - strange skin rashes

> > - runny nose and funny cough

> > - headaches

> > - behavior changes/irritability/tantrums/short tempered

> > - sleep disturbances

> >

> > Things you can do to make it more tolerable:

> >

> > - Epsom Salt soaks in a warm tub

> > - Activated Charcoal Capsules for a brief time. Do not take it

during

> > meal times.

> > - Slowing down the introduction of enzymes (some call this

the " low and

> > slow " method.

> > - Going slower in the introduction of the SCD probiotics and

yogurt.

> > You should wait before introducing these if you have a strong

die off

> > symptoms (www.pecanbread.com has ideas on introducing this

yogurt)

> > - Following the directions in Chapter 9 and 10 in the

introductions of

> > foods.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Group especially and Marla,

I have no easy answers myself, but I want to encourage both of you to stay your coarse. My diagnosis was delayed many years, as Chron's Disease was not so common, and my case progressed slowly in an unusual manor. I am a strong woman who has endured life with a zest for living, a healthy amount of ambition (OK,a bit to much possibly), a positive attitude, and a near perfect life .When I became ill in 1990, I ran a store that was a part of a nice locally owned company, with a net worth of roughly 10's of millions of dollars, and about 100 very bright efficient employees. By 1994, I began to have suicidal thoughts, and, to use a current term began to "dumb down".In 1995, I resigned my position after the Oklahoma City Bombing placed huge stress on our City, though my friends, family, and I had no direct involvement with the exception of a 2 close friends who were rescuers, and a friend's

spouse who was badly injured. I knew it was not post traumatic stress, I had a first hand look at that, but I knew better. By 2000, I was praying every day to die or get better. After Sharon Osborne had cancer, and chemo, in front of God and everybody , there was enough awareness, that my New OB/Gyn put 2 and 2 together, sent me for a scope to confirm her DX, and gave me the answers I needed to begin to sort it out. After I got some B-vitamins and DHA to my brain, I started to research in books and on the Internet. While reading a Jordan book, I read that close to 97% of Crohn's sufferers respond to the SCD and many go into remission. I confirmed this, to a level that satisfied my mind, on the internet. It took time to work around the brain fog well enough to get the diet down. My family really thought I was nuts by this time. I was, but not for long. The horrable joint and muscle pain were almost totally gone in one week! That had

creeped up on me so slow, I didn't know how bad the pain was, until it was gone. I was begining to feel strong, and alive again. I later found out that my family carries a reactive arthritis gene, and I see now that may have been the reason I had many more joint and fibromyalgia type symptoms than GI symptoms,making my diagnosis so diffacult. The frustratation, pain,starvation from malabsorbtion, and anger over my life turning upside down made my quite mad, and I do not know how I would have survived, except I knew it was phsyical, and knew I had to find the answers. Nice advantage, starting out as a very "together" adult, who had seen phsyical illness treated, and "mental symptoms" vanish in 2 close family members in the '80's. Looking back I love the path God has led me through. May God bless your children. I know you are on the right path, in my current career, I have seen many people, children and adults, with various diagnosis, regain their health,

minds, and lives by following principals outlined in the BTVC book. Some improved in a matter of days. The mental and intllectual symptoms, are slower to recover, This may be the most diffacult, and worthwhile thing you ever do for your children and yourselves. Please give the diet a year, especially if you suspect symptoms simular to ADHD, Anxiety, or even Autistic spector symptoms or diagnosis. Oh, please consider giving your children some Fish Oils, too.Trust me, I have 4 children, born with no meds prior to all this, and all the phsyical pains in the world are nothing when compared to the mental symptoms and stupor. OK time for this long winded Gammy to stop preaching, and go spend some time with the people who gave me hope while I was to nuts to care otherwise. Sorry about so long a post. Peace and Health be with you all.

Hi All,

With my symptoms being as they were(see post above), I chose to slowly add foods one at a time,10 days apart, on the advise of someone on the longisland list serve who I think was working close to Ms. Gottschall at that time. Thank God for that list, It was a lifesaver back then. There are so many now! Thank God for them Too.