RemedySpot.com

Re: anxiety & scd [dusty]

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thanks alot for your word of encouragement. I just went on the website and will try to get the GAPS book out at the library tonight.

What is so different with the GAPS thing versus the SCD? I'm dealing with a nutritionist who has on supplements. I'm just really curious about the GAPS diet. You say it's similar to the SCD. Do you think she'll get better with just the SCD? I just need this resolved. She needs to be back in school and functioning normally again. She has d-lactate bacterial overgrowth in her intestine plus the celiac disease, plus the anxiety/panic attacks. She's on Paxil. I just want to know if I'm on the right track here. She's worried that the diet won't take away the anxiety/panic. I hope it will because I see a huge bowel/brain connection. Plus with Rach, 2 years ago, she had over the top anxiety/panic and got diagnosed with celiac disease and once gf, she did A LOT better.

Please write back. You do have me encouraged.

Marla

anxiety & scd [dusty]

Hi Dusty,I just found your full message. (I am getting these posts in digestform now, and am not super savvy with that yet.)Further to my post a bit ago about GAPS, yes, I had extreme chronicanxiety (and depression, OCD, occasional panic attacks, and occasionalhallucinations) from childhood onward. Like your daughter, I alsoeventually took Paxil. Different elimination diets helped me a lot, but because of mycravings, etc, I just couldn't stick with them.After my son (now 3 yrs old) developed autistic-like traits and thendiarrhea, the latter resulting in a diagnosis of Celiac, I found SCD.I was heartened because it promised to address both the diarrhea andthe autistic behaviours. I started him on the program set forth in the book Breaking theVicious Cycle. The results were nothing short of tremendous. Aftermistakes led to a setback, though, I decided to start from scratch.

Ihappened to be reading the GAPS book and, since it uses SCD to healanxiety, OCD, etc, as well as the belly pains, etc, I figured my sonand I might as well do that program together. My son's progress was even better on this wider program --he is nowcompletely normal-- and, in just four months, I have virtually nodepression, no anxiety, no OCD, etc. I have been having peace andhappiness and enjoyment of life for the longest stretch of my life.My favourite thing about GAPS is that, unlike all the other healingdiets I've done, including even the basic SCD, I have had no cravings.(Well, three or four times in four + months.) That has made it easy aspie for me to do this.So, yes, SCD can heal these. It's awesome that your daughter isstarting her healing at a third of my age.Baden> have you dealt with anxiety/panic and the SCD helped

you?

Hi Marla,

GAPS' diet is not different than SCD --it *is* SCD. GAPS is a three

part program: SCD, supplements, detox.

SCD was originated by a couple of doctors by the last name Haas.

Elaine Gottschall then developed the diet a bit further. The author of

GAPS then developed it a tiny bit further, and specifically for people

whose gut dysbiosis was manifesting prominently in the

cognitive/behavioural realm.

The author of GAPS recommends we have only homemade juices (no

storebought), no beans except white navy, and no baking soda. She

recommends soaking seeds. She recommends daily bone broth for healing

the gut lining and infusing one with nutrients. She also recommends

most of us (with prominent thought/behavioural stuff) remove dairy

initially and, if tolerated, reintroduce it carefully and methodically.

So, the tweaks are tiny but make all the difference for many of us.

On the GAPS forum are charts detailing all of the above, as well as

the GAPS-intro protocol, etc.

Yes, I think anxiety would improve with just the diet. Even then,

though, for anxiety, etc, I would recommend the GAPS approach to SCD.

I found it more effective, far easier and more satiating.

Your daughter really has one thing: gut dysbiosis. SCD will resolve that.

Baden

> What is so different with the GAPS thing versus the SCD?

> Do you think she'll get better with just the SCD?