RemedySpot.com

Candy making question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

What with all the Halloween candy floating around, I have started to put some serious thought into trying to make SCD candy. So I tried the simple " vanilla candy " from the BTVC book this evening (I plan to eventually try every recipe on Ann 's list -- thanks Ann!)

My question is, what exactly does it mean to boil the honey mixture gently until when you drop it in cold water it forms a firm ball? I boiled the honey/vinegar/water mixture for at least 20 minutes, and it never even came close to forming a ball when I dropped a little bit of it into cold water. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? Should the mixture thicken as it boils? Is 20 minutes too short of a time to boil? I've never made any kind of candy before, so any advice would be most welcome!

The other Ann (from Iowa)

> What with all the Halloween candy floating around, I have started to

> put some serious thought into trying to make SCD candy. So I tried

> the simple " vanilla candy " from the BTVC book this evening (I plan

> to eventually try every recipe on Ann 's list -- thanks Ann!)

>

> My question is, what exactly does it mean to boil the honey mixture

> gently until when you drop it in cold water it forms a firm ball? I

> boiled the honey/vinegar/water mixture for at least 20 minutes, and

> it never even came close to forming a ball when I dropped a little

> bit of it into cold water.

it doesn't physically have to turn into a ball, but it should harden

and stop spreading. Turn into a discrete shape.

> Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? Should the mixture thicken as it

> boils?

Not at all. It's a liquid, it expands some.

> Is 20 minutes too short of a time to boil?

nope.

Maybe try the nut caramels in the Grainfree Gourmet books - so far, I

like those the best.

Keep in mind these things are addictive as hell. Eat them once,

you'll eat them again, very soon. Guaranteed.

Mara

basically it forms a firm sticky candy in the cold water. it doesn't thicken but if you being it to a temp of 300-325 with a candy thermomator your suckers will be hard once cooled.

hth

ann

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Sunday, November 2, 2008 9:31:10 AMSubject: Re: Candy making question

> What with all the Halloween candy floating around, I have started to > put some serious thought into trying to make SCD candy. So I tried > the simple "vanilla candy" from the BTVC book this evening (I plan > to eventually try every recipe on Ann 's list -- thanks Ann!)>> My question is, what exactly does it mean to boil the honey mixture > gently until when you drop it in cold water it forms a firm ball? I > boiled the honey/vinegar/ water mixture for at least 20 minutes, and > it never even came close to forming a ball when I dropped a little > bit of it into cold water.it doesn't physically have to turn into a ball, but it should harden and stop spreading. Turn into a discrete shape.> Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? Should the mixture thicken as it > boils?Not at all.

It's a liquid, it expands some.> Is 20 minutes too short of a time to boil?nope.Maybe try the nut caramels in the Grainfree Gourmet books - so far, I like those the best.Keep in mind these things are addictive as hell. Eat them once, you'll eat them again, very soon. Guaranteed.Mara