RemedySpot.com

Frozen vegetables

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear listmates,

I haven't been reading email for awhile, because I just started law school two weeks ago. Up until now I thought that my UC was all about food, and nothing about stress, but these two weeks have proven to me that stress takes its toll too! But I've gotten into the groove of things, and gastro-intestinal system is calming down again too, luckily!

But I had a weird experience last week. I am not much of a cook, and ever since starting SCD (5 months ago) I've always used frozen vegetables. I live in central Iowa, and buy my frozen veggies from a store called Dahl's, and I haven't had any problems. Then, last week, I bought a bunch of frozen veggies from another store called Hy-Vee. First I ate some Hy-Vee frozen spinach (heated-up of course), with some chicken, and got REALLY gassy and running to the bathroom several times. I kind of felt like it was the spinach, but in my head blamed the chicken instead. The next day I ate more spinach without the chicken and got sick again. So then I thought -- you know how in this diet, at least I've had the experience that as my body changes, the foods I can tolerate change too, and I thought that maybe somehow I had come to a point of not being able to tolerate spinach. So the next day I heated up frozen carrots instead (always a safe staple food for me) -- also purchased at the Hy-Vee -- and I got the same gassy running-to-the-bathroom problems. Finally, I connected the dots, and stopped eating the Hy-Vee veggies. I went back to Dahl's veggies, and the gassiness and urgency stopped immediately.

Okay, sorry for this LONG discription. I'm just wondering if anyone knows: what on earth do some stores (at least Hy-Vee) put into their frozen veggies that would make them illegal? Of course the ingredients list only the vegetable, and nothing else. But there's GOT to be something else there. Any ideas?

Ann