Worsening egg intolerance

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi everyone!

Eggs used to be one of the foods that I could depend on for protein,

when everything else made me sick. Since coming onto the SCD in mid-

August, my reactions to eggs have become worse. Last weekend I tried

one more time to eat an egg for breakfast, and I got so sick, I lost

the whole weekend (and five pounds!). Nausea, diarrhea, headache.

I'm very disappointed. I wonder if anyone else has experienced

worsening of food intolerances rather than healing? Is there hope that

this will heal?

Hannah

IBS-D

Hi Hannah...when one's immune system is out of whack and the gut is upside down, sometimes repetitive eating, eating the same things day after day for long periods of time with no variety, can cause new food intolerances to emerge...trying a 4 to 5 day rotation diet, in other words, not eating the same thing for four-five days can sometimes assist the immune system to clear food allergic reactions and intolerances and give your body a leg up on healing...THAT IS ROTATING SCD LEGAL FOODS, WORKING WITHIN THE SCD...There was a time for months when I could not eat anything except for vegetable broth and reacted to anything I put in my mouth...after 1.25 years on SCD, my intolerances are still extremely bad, but have dramatically improved and the anaphalactic reactions to any food have cleared...keep trying...what may have happened is that you healed some since starting the SCD and this may have uncovered a hidden food intolerance to eggs...I can't explain it all here but mayb

e do some research on food allergies, intolerances, rotation diets etc. and you may find it helpful to incorporate some of those principles within your SCD Universe...good luck...this rambles a bit...MK...Kim M. has found rotating a helpful principle so she may be able to explain it better...

-------------- Original message --------------

Hi everyone!Eggs used to be one of the foods that I could depend on for protein, when everything else made me sick. Since coming onto the SCD in mid-August, my reactions to eggs have become worse. Last weekend I tried one more time to eat an egg for breakfast, and I got so sick, I lost the whole weekend (and five pounds!). Nausea, diarrhea, headache.I'm very disappointed. I wonder if anyone else has experienced worsening of food intolerances rather than healing? Is there hope that this will heal?HannahIBS-D

Hannah,It's common to have "masked" intolerances to foods whichbecome chronic symptoms. When the food is eliminatedand tested again, the symptoms can become more acute.But hopefully after the food is removed for several daysor weeks, a person can test again and may not react somuch. But it might take a few months or years until thegut is healed enough to be able to tolerate the food.One thing that I've just recently realized is that it is betterfor me to test a food during a better time of day for me.For example, if I test egg in the morning, I have a differentresponse than if I test it at my peak time in the afternoonor during the evening.

Louise

MCS, ME/CFS, FM--severely ill since 1973

food sensitivities and candida

scd--Feb. 25/08

Vancouver Island, BC, Canada ---------------Eggs used to be one of the foods that I could depend on for protein,when everything else made me sick. Since coming onto the SCD in mid-August, my reactions to eggs have become worse. Last weekend I triedone more time to eat an egg for breakfast, and I got so sick, I lostthe whole weekend (and five pounds!). Nausea, diarrhea, headache.I'm very disappointed. I wonder if anyone else has experiencedworsening of food intolerances rather than healing? Is there hope thatthis will heal?HannahIBS-D

I developed a sensitivity to eggs after being on the SCD. Not sure if it's because I ate them a lot more or what. I can eat them in things just fine, but most of the time I get a bad tummy ache after I eat them straight. I usually just avoid them as my main meal. You might try not having them by themselves or just giving them a rest and seeing how you do. Interestingly enough, I've read that their chemical structure is similar to wheat--something I cannot tolerate.

Best wishes!Mel

Hi everyone!

Eggs used to be one of the foods that I could depend on for protein,

when everything else made me sick. Since coming onto the SCD in mid-

August, my reactions to eggs have become worse. Last weekend I tried

one more time to eat an egg for breakfast, and I got so sick, I lost

the whole weekend (and five pounds!). Nausea, diarrhea, headache.

I'm very disappointed. I wonder if anyone else has experienced

worsening of food intolerances rather than healing? Is there hope that

this will heal?

Hannah

IBS-D

-- http://wonderwomen.typepad.com

Many thanks to all of you who responded. It's good to know I'm not the

only one. I'll be more diligent about rotating food, and next time I

do an " egg test, " I'll choose a different time of day.

Hannah

>

> I developed a sensitivity to eggs after being on the SCD. Not sure if

it's

> because I ate them a lot more or what. I can eat them in things just

fine,

> but most of the time I get a bad tummy ache after I eat them

straight. I

> usually just avoid them as my main meal. You might try not having

them by

> themselves or just giving them a rest and seeing how you do.

Interestingly

> enough, I've read that their chemical structure is similar to

> wheat--something I cannot tolerate.

>

> Best wishes!

> Mel

>