RemedySpot.com

Re: Pregnancy and medications

Rate this topic

Guest guest

>3) has anyone nursed while doing SCD and were you able to produce

enough milk? (I've heard you need a lot of carbs for better milk)<

Hello!

I worked for many years in the breastfeeding field.

This must be some kind of myth!!

Breastmilk is produced in two types: the thinner milk with a higher sugar

content and the fatter milk with more cream. The thin milk comes out first

and the fatter milk last. That is why it is important that the baby stay at

the breast and empty it properly. The fat milk also makes the baby content,

in a way that the thin milk does not.

If a baby is just getting the thin milk it will put on weight rapidly and

may also vomit often. Some mistakenly see rapid weight as good, because they

think it is a sign of health BUT a baby needs the fat milk too, especially

for the growing brain. One of the most common mistakes that leads to a woman

mostly giving thin milk, is switching breast too often, because they see the

baby struggling to get out the fat milk and they want to be nice, so they

switch to the other breast that is more easily milked. Well meant, but not

right for the baby!

Tests on mother's milk show that a healthy diet with good fats produces the

best milk. In many cultures women who want a good milk eat extra eggs, liver

and extra butter, especially the first months of the baby's life. Today it

is generally agreed among researchers that the number one thing you can do

for your baby during pregnancy is to eat fatty fish or take fish oil pills.

Sorry for the lecture :-)

Cecilia

Hi Betsy,I was diagnosed with UC in August 2007 when i also started SCD and medication Pentasa at about the same time. Despite my doctors confirmation that i can be pregnant on Pentasa i still wanted to wait until i can end with medications before getting pregnant. So on March 2008 i finally stoped with Pentasa (i was ok for months already) and in June i became pregnant for the first time, i am now 4 months pregnant, doing only SCD and no meds. I did have some crisis or relape at the end of 2 month of pregnancy (i don't know if it was hormones or bad choice of food - i tried dried bananas for first time that were storebaught and i have a strong belief they contained some illegals even if it was not written on declaration). That lasted 2 weeks (during that time i did intro and stayed on simple foods) to clear out and since then i had mild constipation and sometimes looser stools, but in general i have good BMs and i am working my way to enlarge food variety while following pecanbread stages.

My pregnancy is going perfectly without problems so i hope it will continue like this to the end, i plan to breastfeed on SCD and i also think there should be no problem (if you look into history or in poorer countries, women always breastfed and the food was much more scarce and there was less variety and sometimes it was also less nutritious - i think SCD is a round up diet where body gets all it needs if intestines can absorb normally so worry is out of hand). And i heard that in order to produce enough milk (in quantity) what is important is to drink enough (water), because if you don't drink enough liquid then of course you will produce less milk and you become exhausted and dehydrated.

And is it hard to be SCD and pregnant? At the moment not at all. As long as i don't have to be on intro or stage 1 foods, meaning as long as i have more variety i can always find many tasteful things to prepare. I also don't have cravings yet, i just have to be careful not to become too hungry so i need to well organise and schedule preparation of my meals, because if i would get very hungry then surely i would be tempted by all sorts of foods just to fill my stomach. So if i go somewhere during my eating time i always bring a small lunch pack :)

And i don't know if it is also the help of the diet or not but i had no nausea or vomiting at all during my first trimester, just the tiredness. And due to SCD i am also gaining weight slowly but normally. Because some women while pregnant can gain a lot because they eat too much carbs and sweets (and if you heard it is not recommended to gain more than 9-12 kilos or 18-24 pounds).

So i wish you good luck with getting pregnant again, i hope you will be able to be med free during your pregnancy. I just hope you don't have pregnancy induced Crohn because a while ago one mother was asking about her daughter who flared everytime while pregnant but not otherwise. But her daughter also didn't follow SCD pre pregnancy i think so in your case as you are already on SCD i think you are doing all you can to prepare for a healthy pregnancy.

Janja (currently living in France)UC 07/07SCD 08/0718 weeks pregnant, no meds

Dearest One Cecilia,

I am posting to you off list...

May I put your name and email address and this post below for the

SCD MOTHERS, BREASTFEEDING & SCD BABIES file?

When they come on the list serves for help?

Let me know, put in subject: SCD or I may miss your post. Hello! I worked for many years in the breastfeeding field.This must be some kind of myth!!Breastmilk is produced in two types: the thinner milk with a higher sugarcontent and the fatter milk with more cream. The thin milk comes out firstand the fatter milk last. That is why it is important that the baby stay atthe breast and empty it properly. The fat milk also makes the baby content,in a way that the thin milk does not.If a baby is just getting the thin milk it will put on weight rapidly andmay also vomit often. Some mistakenly see rapid weight as good, because theythink it is a sign of health BUT a baby needs the fat milk too, especiallyfor the growing brain. One of the most common mistakes that leads to a womanmostly giving thin milk, is switching breast too often, because they see thebaby struggling to get out the fat milk and they want to be nice, so theyswitch to the other breast that

is more easily milked. Well meant, but notright for the baby!Tests on mother's milk show that a healthy diet with good fats produces thebest milk. In many cultures women who want a good milk eat extra eggs, liverand extra butter, especially the first months of the baby's life. Today it is generally agreed among researchers that the number one thing you can do for your baby during pregnancy is to eat fatty fish or take fish oil pills.Cecilia------------------------------------