RemedySpot.com

Re: Bone/joint pain

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Donna,

So sorry to hear about your daughter. I have severe joint pain and have suffered for years with RA related to Crohn's and sacroiliitis. I've been on SCD only since July and until this week I would have said the diet didn't help the joint pain but now, after a flare-up of the joint pain the last two weeks, I'm feeling much less pain, less inflammation and less swelling. My pain has moved about from ankles (the worst) to knees, wrists, ribs in upper chest and shoulders. I've noticed that cutting out cheese seems to help as well as taking curcumin and botswellia. I haven't cut out the yogurt yet because I think it's beneficial but I may try a week or so without it to see if the pain goes away entirely. Someone on here said he had to eliminate fruit and dairy. Maybe the joints just need more time to heal than the intestines. The thing I notice most is the free movement

in the sacrum which has been stiff and painful for over 20 years I have much more feedom of movement this week, going into the 4th month of the diet. I would try keeping a food diary and eliminating dairy or fructose or honey and see how she does. I'm convinced this diet will lead to joint pain relief because it's so good at reducing inflammation. I wish you the best.

Ann,

Living in Italy

Undiagnosed Crohn's since 1977 Diagnosed 15 years

Sacroiliitis 25 years

Rheumatoid arthritis 25 years

Pyoderma Gangronosum 2 years

SCD since July, 2008

Meds: Tapering Prednisone for PG

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Friday, October 24, 2008 3:37:22 PMSubject: Bone/joint pain

Hi Folks,

My daughter Bridget 9, was very sick last spring and missed 6-7 weeks of school. She had all of the Crohn's symptoms and they were severe. I was so lucky to find the SCD Diet before she had to take all the tests. Within a week on the diet she was back in school. So, I consider her undiagnosed Crohn's. I hate that I'm completely on my own now. It's scary sometimes. I don't trust ANY doctors. They all said "diet has nothing to do with it." I saved my daughter on my own, with the help of SCD and this group.

Bridget has a couple issues here and there but she has followed the diet fanatically since June and over all she's doing great!

My question is this, does anyone with Crohn's get aches in their bones still?

Bridget seems to still get pains in bones and joints here and there. Her back bothers her and she's always trying to crack it. Her neck bothers her on and off. She even had a little pain in her ribs yesterday. I believe it has something to do with the Crohn's because when she was very sick she had severe pain in most of her joints especially her ankles.

Could this be serious? Is this just something she will always deal with or is she missing something in her diet?

Thanks you!

Donna O'Connor

Donna,

I'm so sorry that your daughter who is so young has been diagnosed

with Crohn's. You are a very wise mother to have started her on this

diet despite your doctor's recommendation.

I've had Crohn's for over 30 years. My symptoms started around age 15.

The joint pains weren't really bad in my case until I was in my

mid-30's but they can be excruciating. There is cartilage in the

ribcage and this is subject to inflammation. It is called

costochondritis and this is a good, brief explanation from Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/DS00626

I found a very good explanation of the symptoms of arthritis and joint

pains on the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation website. It is very

common with Crohn's disease and unfortunate your doctor did not advise

you about it.

http://www.ccfa.org/info/about/complications/arthritis

Joints can sometimes get enlarged and feel warm to the touch.

Changes in weather condition can make the joints more painful. Cold

weather causes joints to hurt more for me, but I live in a warm

climate with brief winters.

I do think that a fish oil supplements helps joint pain. I read on

this website that many people use something like Carlson's Fish Oil

(http://www.carlsonlabs.com/) but I have read the studies which tested

fish oil to treat Crohn's and enteric coated capsules were supposed to

be more effective. Enteric coating is supposed to allow the

supplement to reach the small bowel. The most common enteric coated

fish oil supplement available widely in drug stores is Fishoil but

there are more in the health food stores.

I know that for periods of time in adolescence I had pretty severe

anemia. I was always tired and sleeping excessively. And I had a B12

deficiency that wasn't treated until I was an adult. You may want to

monitor those things.

Best wishes for your daughter's full recovery.

CD 30+ years

>

>

> Hi Folks,

> �

> My daughter Bridget 9,�was very sick last spring and missed 6-7

weeks of school.� She had�all of the Crohn's symptoms and they were

severe.� I was so lucky to find the SCD Diet before she had to take

all the tests. Within a week on the diet she was back in school.� So,

I consider her undiagnosed Crohn's. I hate that I'm completely on my

own now. It's scary sometimes.�I don't trust ANY doctors.��They all

said� " diet has nothing to do with it. " � I saved my daughter on my own,

with the help of SCD and this group.

> �

> Bridget has a couple issues here and there but she�has followed the

diet fanatically since June and over all she's doing great!

> My question is this, does anyone with Crohn's get aches in their

bones still?��

> Bridget seems to still�get pains in bones and joints here and

there.� Her back bothers her and she's always trying to crack it.� Her

neck bothers her on and off.� She even had a little pain in her ribs

yesterday. I believe it has something to do with the Crohn's

because�when she was very sick� she had severe pain in most of her

joints especially her ankles.

> Could this be serious? Is this just something she will always deal

with or is she missing something in her diet?

> �

> Thanks you!

> Donna O'Connor

> �

> �

> �

> �

>

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Donna,

I've had very bad bone pain, sacroiliitis, ankle pain and swelling, knee pain and chest/rib pain. At times bad enough to put me to bed. Someone suggested stopping cheese and yogurt and it works. I stopped cheese two weeks ago and it was some better but I still had to take paraceutamal (tylenol) then Saturday I ate my last yogurt and today, Wednesday, the joint pain is completely gone. I had a bit of a stiff neck but it only lasted a few hours and went away with moist heat. I can't believe the difference. I miss the yogurt but it isn't worth the pain. I think it's the casien in the milk. Give it a try for a week or so and see how your daughter does.

All the best.

Ann,

Living in Italy

Undiagnosed Crohn's since 1977 Diagnosed 15 years

Sacroiliitis 25 years

Rheumatoid arthritis 25 years

Pyoderma Gangronosum 2 years

SCD since July, 2008

Meds: Tapering Prednisone for PG

To: BTVC-SCD Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 5:46:54 PMSubject: Re: Bone/joint pain

Donna,I'm so sorry that your daughter who is so young has been diagnosedwith Crohn's. You are a very wise mother to have started her on thisdiet despite your doctor's recommendation.I've had Crohn's for over 30 years. My symptoms started around age 15.The joint pains weren't really bad in my case until I was in mymid-30's but they can be excruciating. There is cartilage in theribcage and this is subject to inflammation. It is calledcostochondritis and this is a good, brief explanation from Mayo Clinic:http://www.mayoclin ic.com/health/ costochondritis/ DS00626I found a very good explanation of the symptoms of arthritis and jointpains on the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation website. It is verycommon with Crohn's disease and unfortunate your doctor did not adviseyou about it.http://www.ccfa. org/info/ about/complicati ons/arthritisJoints can sometimes get enlarged and feel warm to the touch..Changes in weather condition can make the joints more painful. Coldweather causes joints to hurt more for me, but I live in a warmclimate with brief winters. I do think that a fish oil supplements helps joint pain. I read onthis website that many people use something like Carlson's Fish Oil(http://www.carlsonl abs.com/) but I have read the studies which testedfish oil to treat Crohn's and enteric coated capsules were supposed tobe more effective. Enteric coating is supposed to allow thesupplement to reach the small bowel. The most common enteric coatedfish oil supplement available widely in drug stores is Fishoil

butthere are more in the health food stores.I know that for periods of time in adolescence I had pretty severeanemia. I was always tired and sleeping excessively. And I had a B12deficiency that wasn't treated until I was an adult. You may want tomonitor those things.Best wishes for your daughter's full recovery.CD 30+ years>> > Hi Folks,> �> My daughter Bridget 9,�was very sick last spring and missed 6-7weeks of school.� She had�all of the Crohn's symptoms and they weresevere.� I was so lucky to find the SCD Diet before she had to takeall the tests. Within a week on the diet she was back in school.� So,I consider her

undiagnosed Crohn's. I hate that I'm completely on myown now. It's scary sometimes.�I don't trust ANY doctors.��They allsaid�"diet has nothing to do with it."� I saved my daughter on my own,with the help of SCD and this group.> �> Bridget has a couple issues here and there but she�has followed thediet fanatically since June and over all she's doing great!> My question is this, does anyone with Crohn's get aches in theirbones still?�� > Bridget seems to still�get pains in bones and joints here andthere.� Her back bothers her and she's always trying to crack it.� Herneck bothers her on and off.� She even had a little pain in her ribsyesterday. I believe it has something to do with the Crohn'sbecause�when she was very sick� she had severe pain in most of herjoints especially her ankles.> Could this be

serious? Is this just something she will always dealwith or is she missing something in her diet?> �> Thanks you!> Donna O'Connor> �> �> �> �>