RemedySpot.com

Yogurt

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello all --

This message is just sort of a last-ditch effort to find answers, advice...

As some may remember, yogurt has never sat well with me. In the 6 months since I started the diet, I have started making my own yogurt (of course), gotten the thermometers out, and dimmer switch in operation to keep the temperature where it needs to be, started out very slowly one tsp at a time to see if I could build up tolerance for it. Every few weeks though I'd have to give yogurt a complete break, while getting my digestion under control (the most I can describe is that the yogurt always just made me feel sick). This last effort (in the last few weeks) seemed to be going very well. I was up to a cup a day, in a banana smoothie. It was SO good. And then suddenly I started have bloody bowel movements again. Really, out of nowhere. I wasn't sure what to blame, but with my bad luck with yogurt, I cut that out immediately. This was about a week ago. I've still had some traces of blood, and gas and mucus that were the hallmark symptoms during my first 2 months of the diet, but the obviously bloody stool has stopped. Which leads me to believe it may indeed have been the yogurt.

Has anyone else had this experience? I had started with goat's milk, and then transferred over to cow's milk for my yogurt (a lot cheaper, and easier to find). The goat's milk yogurt sometimes made me feel sick, but never had caused bloody stool. Could the change to cow's milk cause such an adverse reaction? Also, I was well into my second batch of cow's milk yogurt when the bloody stool hit, so that was about 2 weeks of a cup of cow's milk yogurt a day WITHOUT symptoms, before the bloody stool hit. Would that make sense?

Why would everything else on the SCD work for me, and not the yogurt? I can eat cheddar and swiss cheese, and butter, all with no problem. DCCC has given me huge problems, but I'm assuming that's because the brand sold locally must have illegal ingredients.

So, just looking for any wisdom you all have... Thanks!!

Ann (from Iowa)

UC, SCD since 03/30/2008

I can tolerate ghee in small amounts, rotated ( so never more than once every 4 days) but every other dairy --cheeses, yogurt goat, cow make me very sick ( bloating, nauseous, dry-heaves, cramps, extreme fatigue, constipation, body aches ...though I did sneak a tsp of sheep yogurt ( I bought for my dd) and wasn't as sick...just a bit gassy ...I wish I could do dairy for the calories & i love it --but have to admit like ALL other animal species and 70% of the human race --my body --at 46-- has long since been "weaned"!