RemedySpot.com

joint and neck pain

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello,

My hands have been bothering all week. My thumb joint hurts more than

my fingers. My neck felt like it was full of ground glass. I could

feel grinding when I turned my neck. Very painful. I am better today.

I got really sick about three months ago because my doctor insisted

on iron pills (my blood levels were low) I had to stop eating dairy

because I got very gassy with abdominal swelling.

I started eating 1/2 cup SCD yogurt daily a couple of weeks ago. Plus

I put an ounce or so of legal cheeses on food at dinner time. It's

nice to get a food group back. This week the joint pain has been

miserable.

I didn't have any dairy today. Do I need to stay dairy free? Is the

pain and the dairy connected? Should I try goat SCD yogurt?

I drank three glasses of diet caffeinne free Coke this week,

artificial sweetners give me headaches, but they don't usually make

my hands ache. I know not all Coke products are gluten-free but I

checked and the type I drank should be gluten-free (not saying much,

I know.)

I also had 4 tablespoons raw, unfiltered, chunky, dark honey. Does

this cause joint pain?

I hate it when my neck hurts so much and right now typing hurts.

Advice please!

Ana Karina

SCD since Nov 2006

IBS gluten/lactose intolerant

allergic to Arizona (pollen, dust, guinea pigs)

Ana

I had to stop eating any dairy about 2 years into SCD; developed severe and debilitating joint pain. Joint pain, especially when it's systemic (all the joints are affected) is an immune system reaction, and is a common dairy sensitivity. I find I don't miss yogurt or cheese at all -- and I certainly don't miss the joint pain! Butter doesn't bother me in the same way, as it's almost entirely fat. Oh, and I can't eat honey either.

I, too, have hand and neck pain, but I've had some conditions diagnosed based on tests with a neurologist. I have cervical (neck), thoracic and lumbar spinal damage; the worst area is the neck. I've learned new ways of sitting, had to purchase a different chair for my office at work and at home. And I've had several cervical nerve blocks. I have learned how to live with my hand numbness and pain (carpal tunnel syndrome), although I'm due for carpal tunnel surgery soon. I have to be careful with how long I use my hands, and how much I'm working them. I wear wrist support braces when I'm driving or doing a lot of lifting and gripping, to keep the pain levels minimal so I can sleep at night. The numbness and weak muscles in my hands continues, but I have learned how to keep the pain level low.

You might also check in with a rheumatologist. Two of my doctors have suggested this, based on some of my symptoms and test results, but I haven't done it yet. However, it is a good idea, especially when you're suffering more systemic symptoms.

Diet plays a part in joint pain and inflammation, so you should keep a food journal and see if you can connect joint pain with a particular food or supplement. Your immune system might be telling you something.... But you might also see a neurologist and go through the basic tests. Sometimes you can't do much when the conditions found have no particular "cure" but it helps knowing what's wrong, so you can figure out ways to keep the symptoms minimal.

Kim M.

SCD 5 years

Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction & other upper GI issues 5+ years

neurological stuff 2+ years

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

...............I also had 4 tablespoons raw, unfiltered, chunky, dark honey. Does this cause joint pain?I hate it when my neck hurts so much and right now typing hurts. Advice please!Ana KarinaSCD since Nov 2006IBS gluten/lactose intolerantallergic to Arizona (pollen, dust, guinea pigs)