Guest guest

>

> Okay, so I'm getting pretty tired of just putting olive oil on my

> salads and, for the life of me, can't figure out which vinegars are

> legal and which aren't.

plain wine vinegar (but check the ingredients - they sometimes put

in unnecessary other stuff), plain apple cider vinegar, like Heinz brand,

the one *without* " from the mother " designation, (that is, raw and

unfiltered is illegal), and white distilled vinegar.

Balsamic is *illegal*, unless you get the 20.00 bucks a bottle, 15

year old stuff.

> Do any of you have any excellent, tasty, remarkable salad dressing

> recipes? I'm bringing the salad to Thanksgiving and am trying to

> avoid those " oh, you poor dear " looks from people when I tell them

> about this diet of ours.

You could search the archives for Marilyn ranch dressing if you are

a ranch dressing fan.

Mara

Try my Hurricane Dressing.... it's an oil and vinegar dressing, but

spicy! (The original was my mother-in-law's, and I adapted it... I think

she would have liked it, even though we lost her before I went SCD.) Or

Ranch Dressing. (Get a batch of half and half yogurt on FAST!).

Marilyn

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Hi Mara-- Is the 15 year old balsamic legal? I actually use balsamic to grill fruits and would love to have it on my salads, And where can you find the 15 year old stuff? Why is it legal and regular balsamic not legal? Thanks!

Terry

Re: Salad dressing

>> Okay, so I'm getting pretty tired of just putting olive oil on my> salads and, for the life of me, can't figure out which vinegars are> legal and which aren't.plain wine vinegar (but check the ingredients - they sometimes putin unnecessary other stuff), plain apple cider vinegar, like Heinz brand,the one *without* "from the mother" designation, (that is, raw and unfiltered is illegal), and white distilled vinegar.Balsamic is *illegal*, unless you get the 20.00 bucks a bottle, 15year old stuff. > Do any of you have any excellent, tasty, remarkable salad dressing> recipes? I'm bringing the salad to Thanksgiving and am trying to> avoid those "oh, you poor dear" looks from people when I tell them> about this diet of ours.You could search the archives for Marilyn ranch dressing if you area ranch dressing fan. Mara

Hi Mara-- Is the 15 year old balsamic legal? I actually use balsamic to grill fruits and would love to have it on my salads, And where can you find the 15 year old stuff? Why is it legal and regular balsamic not legal?I can't remember if it was all the 15 year old balsamics or just the one at this particular store. Unfortunately,I no longer have the link to that store - just looked through all my links and can't find it. Maybe someone elseremembers the name and URL of the store. (They used to send me a catalogue, but I haven't had one for a while.) The theory was the age of vinegar had allowed for the thorough consumption of the additional sugars -(or maybe it was in this particular aged vintage, no sugar had been added, but I think it was the former). Too bad the regular SCD list doesn't have archives - the conversation must have been in June or Julyof 2007, before this list was started. Mara Thanks! Terry Re: Salad dressing >> Okay, so I'm getting pretty tired of just putting olive oil on my> salads and, for the life of me, can't figure out which vinegars are> legal and which aren't.plain wine vinegar (but check the ingredients - they sometimes putin unnecessary other stuff), plain apple cider vinegar, like Heinz brand,the one *without* "from the mother" designation, (that is, raw and unfiltered is illegal), and white distilled vinegar.Balsamic is *illegal*, unless you get the 20.00 bucks a bottle, 15year old stuff. > Do any of you have any excellent, tasty, remarkable salad dressing> recipes? I'm bringing the salad to Thanksgiving and am trying to> avoid those "oh, you poor dear" looks from people when I tell them> about this diet of ours.You could search the archives for Marilyn ranch dressing if you area ranch dressing fan. Mara

Thanks, Mara-- at least you've given me hope. I'll google it and look for it. If you come across it again, keep me in mind.

Thanks,

Terry

Re: Salad dressing

>> Okay, so I'm getting pretty tired of just putting olive oil on my> salads and, for the life of me, can't figure out which vinegars are> legal and which aren't.plain wine vinegar (but check the ingredients - they sometimes putin unnecessary other stuff), plain apple cider vinegar, like Heinz brand,the one *without* "from the mother" designation, (that is, raw and unfiltered is illegal), and white distilled vinegar.Balsamic is *illegal*, unless you get the 20.00 bucks a bottle, 15year old stuff. > Do any of you have any excellent, tasty, remarkable salad dressing> recipes? I'm bringing the salad to Thanksgiving and am trying to> avoid those "oh, you poor dear" looks from people when I tell them> about this diet of ours.You could search the archives for Marilyn ranch dressing if you area ranch dressing fan. Mara

At 08:02 PM 11/25/2008, you wrote:

The theory was the age of

vinegar had allowed for the thorough consumption of the additional sugars

-

(or maybe it was in this particular aged vintage, no sugar had been

added, but I think it was the former).

Actually, it's both -- the aging helps eliminate the extra sugars, but,

alas, once again, too many manufacturers of the cheap stuff add sugar to

get " the right flavor. "

<sigh>

Marilyn

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

>Is the 15 year old balsamic legal? I actually use balsamic to grill fruits

>and would love to have it on my salads, And where can you find the 15 year

>old stuff? Why is it legal and regular balsamic not legal? Thanks!<

Real balsamic vinegar is not made from wine, like regular vinegar.

It is made from freshly pressed grapes that are boiled in an open pot

for many hours. When it has gotten thick and syrupy it is poured into

wooden barrels to ferment for a few years and after that it is stored for

many years. Real balsamic vinegar costs a fortune and is used very

sparingly.

Fake balsamic vinegar is what you find in stores today - it is cheap

vinegar with brown food colouring: sulphite ammonia caramel, which

is derived from sugar. Even the stuff in pretty bottles with corks on is

fake.

Try red wine vinegar (real, not cheap vinegar mixed with red

food colouring) and experiment with mixing a little honey

in your dressing if you want something that resembles

balsamic vinegar.

Cecilia

(grumbling over the fact that food companies are allowed to rip off

consumers)

Cecilia- thanks for the info. I only ever used balsamic sparingly. It sounds like the 'real' balsamic is legal, as it comes from cooked fruit and fermented. Sometimes, having the real thing and enjoying it is worth paying the price. I do use red wine vinegar a lot. Where does one find 'good' red wine vinegar and 'real' balsamic vinegar? Should I look online?

Thanks,

Terry

Re: Re: Salad dressing

>Is the 15 year old balsamic legal? I actually use balsamic to grill fruits>and would love to have it on my salads, And where can you find the 15 year>old stuff? Why is it legal and regular balsamic not legal? Thanks!<Real balsamic vinegar is not made from wine, like regular vinegar.It is made from freshly pressed grapes that are boiled in an open potfor many hours. When it has gotten thick and syrupy it is poured intowooden barrels to ferment for a few years and after that it is stored formany years. Real balsamic vinegar costs a fortune and is used verysparingly.Fake balsamic vinegar is what you find in stores today - it is cheapvinegar with brown food colouring: sulphite ammonia caramel, whichis derived from sugar. Even the stuff in pretty bottles with corks on isfake.Try red wine vinegar (real, not cheap vinegar mixed with redfood colouring) and experiment with mixing a little honey in your dressing if you want something that resembles balsamic vinegar.Cecilia(grumbling over the fact that food companies are allowed to rip off consumers)