RemedySpot.com

Post forward from [SCDUK] Colitis research, help needed (not SCD but on the same theme�

Rate this topic

Guest guest

--- Mon, 27 Oct 2008 Contact: jonathan_benson@... Feel free to pass on to the other lists but I'd imagine it would be UK only submissions so please stress this point.I've recently been approached by (UK based) Addenbrookes research hospital looking into the gentic link between bacteria in the gut an inappropriate immune reaction for a DNA sample. The sample is taken via a simple saliva pot in the post with a consent form to sign and a pre-paid envelope.Due to the nature of the NHS ethics committee it takes a long long time for them to have approval to canvass for these DNA samples but if people interested in helping were to somehow acquire the contact details james.lee@addenbroo kes.nhs.uk or (Dr. Lee, Box 201A, Addenbrookes Hospital, Hills Rd, Cambridge) and express an interest in helping they will happily send you out a form and pot to give a sample.I stress I'm nothing to do with Lee or Addenbrookes hospital but I am a strong believer of the link between bacteria in the gut and our conditions which is why I've followed the SCD for 5 years now. These sort of tests work best with as many DNA samples as possible so if you know of anyone else who might be happy to help (with colitis of course) please feel free to pass on the details.If your going to help please drop me an email off list just to let me know i helped the research program a little - i've already gotten my dad to give a sample! :)Below is a brief email from answering my question of what sort of study they are doing. Spread

the word everyone, it could help future generations of colitis sufferers!Stay well, UC: Sept 02, SCD: May 03**Contact: jonathan_benson@... =====Dear , Thank you for your email and consent. We will enclose two pots and sets of documentation which will be posted in the next day or so. We are increasingly recognising from studies, such as the one you are providing DNA for, that Crohn's occurs as a result of inappropriate inflammatory responses (genetically determined) to bacteria that occur normally within the bowel. The aim of this study is to identify which pathways are involved and to find drugs to interrupt those pathways, thereby creating better treatments for Crohn's. Thanks again for your help **Contact

Dr. Lee james.lee@addenbroo kes.nhs.uk Box 201A, Addenbrookes