RemedySpot.com

Re: Looking for a Recipe

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Lorraine,I made the best SCD crust I've ever made this Thanksgiving. A couple of weeks ago Alton Brown, on the Food Network, did a show about pies and pie crusts. I followed his recipe (for the most part), which is somewhat fussy but totally worth it, substituting SCD ingredients. My pie crusts always either fell completely apart or sort of melted into the pie filling. This one didn't. It held together and didn't melt into the pie. I was so excited and proud of it :-) Here is my SCD version of Alton Brown's pie crust,3 ounces (6 tablespoons) butter, chilled1 ounce (2 tablespoons) coconut oil, chilled1 cup almond flour, plus extra for rolling dough1/2 teaspoon table salt Place butter and coconut oil in the freezer for

15 minutes. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour and salt by pulsing 3 to 4 times. Remove butter and coconut oil from the freezer and cut both into small pieces. Add butter and pulse 5 to 6 times until texture looks mealy. Add coconut oil and pulse another 3 to 4 times. Remove lid of food processor and make sure mixture is mealy and holds together when squeezed. You do not want it in a big ball. If it is, it is too wet and you need to add more almond flour. (I ended up having to add probably 1/2 cup more almond flour.) Place mixture in large zip-top bag, squeeze together until it forms a ball, and then press into a rounded disk and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place a buttered metal pie pan in the refrigerator to chill. Remove dough from refrigerator. Cut along 2 sides of the plastic bag, open bag to expose dough, and sprinkle both sides with flour. Cover again with plastic and roll out

with a rolling pin to a 10 to 11-inch circle (or you can roll it out between two pieces of plastic wrap. wet the counter top a little before putting the plastic wrap on it so the plastic wrap will stick to the counter). Return dough to the fridge for 15 minutes. Remove pie pan and dough from refrigerator and peel plastic from bottom of dough. Gently flip crust into the buttered pie pan. Pat dough into the pan and remove the top piece of plastic. Trim edges if necessary. Lightly poke a few holes in the bottom of the dough with a fork and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Remove dough from refrigerator and bake for 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool before filling.Hope you like it,Kim H.husband, , CD 1999SCD 2002To: BTVC-SCD ; scdinfo Sent: Monday, December 1, 2008 9:51:09 AMSubject: Looking for a Recipe Hi Everyone, Anyone have a good recipe for an Apple Pie Recipe and Crust Recipe? I haven't come across anything that was really good. Please help. Thanks. Lorraine UC-2001